Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 02-01-2016
Varsity

No weigh ins at tournaments

I am not posting this because anything in inappropriate happened. Just want to hear what the wrestling community thinks.

More and more Illinois tournaments are having called in weights. For the most part, wrestlers are within a reasonable weight range, but there are always a few outliers that are skimming more than 1 pound when they report their weight. So, often it ends up that kids are wrestling maybe one weight class up or down. This same thing can happen at a tournament that weighs wrestlers in.

Questions:
1) Do you think tournaments that dont weigh kids in are fair?

2) Should clubs be required to weigh in?

3) Is it better not to weigh kids in if we get out earlier from the tournament?
Old 02-01-2016
Top of the Food Chain!

According to IKWF rules, you have to weigh in within 24hrs of the tournament.
Old 02-01-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post
I am not posting this because anything in inappropriate happened. Just want to hear what the wrestling community thinks.

More and more Illinois tournaments are having called in weights. For the most part, wrestlers are within a reasonable weight range, but there are always a few outliers that are skimming more than 1 pound when they report their weight. So, often it ends up that kids are wrestling maybe one weight class up or down. This same thing can happen at a tournament that weighs wrestlers in.

Questions:
1) Do you think tournaments that dont weigh kids in are fair?

2) Should clubs be required to weigh in?

3) Is it better not to weigh kids in if we get out earlier from the tournament?
I think its the way to go for any non elite tournament. The head coach needs to be accountable for sending in accurate weights. If there is a kid that stands out throw him on the scale as long as he/she is within a couple pounds he/she is good to go. If not the kid fft's and the head coach has to explain to the kid and the parents. Most brackets are with in a few pounds anyway. Instead of weighing until 8 and wrestling starting at 9:00 -9:30 have check in by 7:30 and wrestling starts at 8. I'm all for anything that would speed up these very long days.
Old 02-01-2016
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakeland Predators View Post
According to IKWF rules, you have to weigh in within 24hrs of the tournament.
Yea, I should have said, "should wrestlers be required to weigh in at the venue?"
Old 02-01-2016
Varsity

I think it is really smart to not have weigh ins. I mean they dont have to weigh in for high school or college so why have them weigh in when they are young. Not weighing in also really teaches the values of responsibility and discipline, when your coach can just call in your exact weight. Cause we have never had a coach or program cheat the system in the IKWF, that would never happen.
Old 02-01-2016

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModestMouse View Post
I think it is really smart to not have weigh ins. I mean they dont have to weigh in for high school or college so why have them weigh in when they are young. Not weighing in also really teaches the values of responsibility and discipline, when your coach can just call in your exact weight. Cause we have never had a coach or program cheat the system in the IKWF, that would never happen.

I don't know you so I'm hoping you was being sarcastic it your statement. Me myself I am honest about weights and how old my kids are, and what grades they are in. I like weigh ins, we wrestle in Wis. where most of the tournaments are honor system. There is no honor in that system. I LIKE WEIGH INS. I do like if coaches are held at a higher standard and they do weigh ins too.
Old 02-01-2016

My issue with no weigh-ins is not so much with people trying to get a weight advantage (normal weekend tournaments are blocked anyway and there can be quite a spread), but instead it is with shafting the wrestlers when kids are sick.

Sure it saves time to have brackets completed early, but when you are stuck in 3-man brackets because the host wants to save some time it stinks. Use the honor system, but have the help necessary to bracket after you know who actually shows up.
Old 02-01-2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyWindham View Post
I don't know you so I'm hoping you was being sarcastic it your statement. Me myself I am honest about weights and how old my kids are, and what grades they are in. I like weigh ins, we wrestle in Wis. where most of the tournaments are honor system. There is no honor in that system. I LIKE WEIGH INS. I do like if coaches are held at a higher standard and they do weigh ins too.

Don't know what High School you are referring to but our High School wrestler weighs in at every Dual, meet or tournament etc.

I do agree that weigh ins take a lot of time BUT there are always going to be those who would abuse the system for the sake of placing and not be fair to all those who would be honest 100% of the time.
Old 02-01-2016
Junior Varsity

If you are using track, there is no reason to not have morning of the tournament weigh ins. Dekalb this weekend had call in weights and they still started a half hour late. Ridiculous! If brackets are supposedly made the night before, the whistle should blow right at scheduled start time. Lots of bigger events start right on time, with very little issue having morning of weigh ins.
Unfortunately, there is not a lot of honor in the honor system. Just get up a few minutes earlier and have the scales out. Takes all the second guessing of other clubs and coaches out of the equation.
Old 02-01-2016
Varsity

I've ran many tournaments and it makes it so much easier on tournament host to have weights faxed in. At our tournament we have faxed weights and complete brackets the night before we wrestling. It helps our tournament run so much smoother and requires less help the day of the tournament!
Sponsored Links