Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 04-12-2010
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpoorme View Post
Evans pinned Santoro the end of the second period and if he wouldn't have pinned him then it would have been early in the third, Evans just had too much gun power for Santoro. As for Santoro wrestling up not totally true, I talked with one of the coaches from Illinois and at weigh ins, both Evans and Santoro were equal in weight. Evans was 180 ish as was Santoro. So to say Santoro wrestled up in weight he did not, Evans clearly wrestled down in weight. As for the match between the two I thought it was good. Evans clearly had too much in his back pocket. I also want to note that I saw Santoro go over to Evans at the end of the match while Evans was talking to Brands and looked like he had a pleasant exchange with Evans. Santoro was a class act through and through.
Santoro may have wrestled up, but Evans weighed in fully clothed and still was well under weight.
Old 04-12-2010
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohpoorme View Post
Evans pinned Santoro the end of the second period and if he wouldn't have pinned him then it would have been early in the third, Evans just had too much gun power for Santoro. As for Santoro wrestling up not totally true, I talked with one of the coaches from Illinois and at weigh ins, both Evans and Santoro were equal in weight. Evans was 180 ish as was Santoro. So to say Santoro wrestled up in weight he did not, Evans clearly wrestled down in weight. As for the match between the two I thought it was good. Evans clearly had too much in his back pocket. I also want to note that I saw Santoro go over to Evans at the end of the match while Evans was talking to Brands and looked like he had a pleasant exchange with Evans. Santoro was a class act through and through.
Santoro wrestled up a weight from where he wrestled all year. That was my point.
Old 04-12-2010
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number9 View Post
I believe that sooner or later Demetrios Mitchell will become at least a 2 X all american
Thanks for believing in Mitchell too
Old 04-12-2010

Just read on hawk forums that Evans wrestled 189 all year only weighing 181. So it's obvious they were equal in weight for match. I like Dan don't get me wrong but Evans wrestled up all year as well never once weighing in at 189 from the info I got from the forum which means he must be very strong and technically sound. Anyway like I said in my first post, Dan showed a ton of character and was a good sport. Best of luck to him back east next year.
Old 04-12-2010

Question 103?

What happened to the 103 bout? Was there anyone for 103 for Il? Or USA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Team USA 31, Team Illinois 15
112 Miko Villanueva (Dundee Crown) DEC #5 Blake Thomas (Brentwood, TN) 9-4, 3-0 IL
285 #1 Michael McMullen (Wyoming Seminary, PA) FALL Andrew Ellington (Edwardsville), 6-3 USA
119 #1 Ryak Finch (Safford, AZ) DEC Logan Arlis (Batavia) 8-4, 9-3 USA
215 #3 Trevor Rupp (Pocatello, ID) DEC Matt Dwyer (Hononegah) 3-1 OT, 12-3 USA
125 #3 @130 Devin Carter (Christianburg, VA) DEC Matt Bystol (Libertyville) 13-7, 15-3 USA
189 #1 Mike Evans (Blair Academy, NJ) FALL Dan Santoro (Barrington), 21-3 USA
130 #10 Keith Surber (O'Fallon) DEC #1 Frank Cagnina (Queen of Peach, NJ) 6-2, 21-6 USA
171 Andy Spangler (Neuqua Valley) DEC Michael Duckworth (Union County, IN) 8-6 OT, 21-9 USA
135 #8 Chris Dardanes (Oak Park River Forest) DEC #2 Ryan Nieman (Bullock Creek, MI) 6-4 OT, 21-12 USA
160 #1 Marshall Peppelman (Central Dauphin, PA) DEC Joe Strocchia (Hinsdale Central) 8-2, 24-12 USA
140 #4 Nick Dardanes (Oak Park River Forest) DEC Frankie Porras (Hobart, IN) 7-3, 24-15 USA
152 #1 Dylan Alton (Central Mountain, PA) DEC Joey Moorhouse (Marengo) 10-6, 27-15 USA
145 #1 Andrew Alton (Central Mountain, PA) MAJ DEC Demetrios Mitchell (Hersey) 22-13, 31-15 USA
Old 04-12-2010
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-HUG View Post
I believe he's saying, let's not call him a D-1 champ just yet. Let him walk into a college room first. He hasn't hit the national scene yet and is probably gonna take some lumps for a year before we see his true potential come out. He also needs to get some freestyle and greco under his belt and begin to use that in his arsenal. With his explosiveness and power, he could be scary good with some more training. With some more training, I could see him being a Caldwell and surprising a lot of people against tried and true STUDS.
Well that would be awesome to see him become somebody like Caldwell!
Old 04-12-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigHurt View Post
It would be awesome, but Caldwell also came in as a 4 time placer and 3 time champ with National titles and the freestlye background that allowed him to make the world team in 09. Mitchell has a lot of catching up to do, but with his athleticism and work ethic he can do it. Like Mr. Twister has stated, it all depends on his choice of schools and what path he decides to take.
Old 04-12-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigHurt View Post
Why the Mitchell comparison to Caldwell? Did they have similar a background in high school?
Old 04-12-2010
Olympian

Do they do Team USA VS other states also, or just Illinois for some reason?
Old 04-12-2010
Olympian

agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-HUG View Post
It would be awesome, but Caldwell also came in as a 4 time placer and 3 time champ with National titles and the freestlye background that allowed him to make the world team in 09. Mitchell has a lot of catching up to do, but with his athleticism and work ethic he can do it. Like Mr. Twister has stated, it all depends on his choice of schools and what path he decides to take.
Caldwell didnt have quite the resume of Metcalf so people tried to make it like he came out of nowhere when he beat Metcalf which wasnt true. Couple Caldwells resume with Metcalfs' open charge ahead style and who cares if I give up some points because I will wear you out mentality- and it can be argued that wasnt an upset at all but predictable.

Mitchell has a long way to go. But I think people are hyped up about him because he does seem to be advancing quickly and has the raw tools. Time will tell.
Sponsored Links