Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 01-02-2013
Varsity

Remembering way back in the sixties when names like Behm, Parker, Gluck, Marcucci, Pickens, etc etc dotted the wrestling news along with stories about Waukegan, Reavis, Proviso East and others representing all sides of Chicagoland. Hard to imagine how from an eight team Waukegan Christmas tournament (considered at the time the state's best) to the modern era's mega tournaments with national representation? BTW the names listed were all D1 AA's (one also an Olympic silvermedalist).
Old 01-02-2013
Varsity

Correction! Bob Pickens, state champ and runnerup for Evanston, was not a collegiate AA, but was a greco Olympian and played football (All stater) for Wisconsin, Nebraska with possibly a stint with the Bears?
Old 01-02-2013
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldude View Post
Remembering way back in the sixties when names like Behm, Parker, Gluck, Marcucci, Pickens, etc etc dotted the wrestling news along with stories about Waukegan, Reavis, Proviso East and others representing all sides of Chicagoland. Hard to imagine how from an eight team Waukegan Christmas tournament (considered at the time the state's best) to the modern era's mega tournaments with national representation? BTW the names listed were all D1 AA's (one also an Olympic silvermedalist).
Phil Parker (N. Chicago) late 60's?
Old 01-02-2013
Varsity

No. The reference was to Ted Parker (Deerfield) who was a two time state champ and two time AA for Indiana State. Beat Mike Gluck (Palatine), a state champ at 103lbs before losing to Parker in the '64 final at 120lbs. Mike was a D1 runnerup for Wisconsin. Certainly the Parker name was also well known for all the brothers (cousins even?) from North Chicago. Lots of tough kids outta that school for sure.
Old 01-02-2013
coach/ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Did a little research for you old timers! Bob Fowlkes took it around the time for PE. If I am not mistaken, he went on to coach at GBN. May have even coached members of the coaching staff.
The coach at Glenbard North was Bob Fulk...inducted in IWCOA Hall of Fame in 1985......received a Lifteime Achievement Award in 2009.....and the National Lifetime Achievement in 2010.
Old 01-02-2013
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmheniff View Post
The coach at Glenbard North was Bob Fulk...inducted in IWCOA Hall of Fame in 1985......received a Lifteime Achievement Award in 2009.....and the National Lifetime Achievement in 2010.
Coach Heniff, do I have the wrong name? I remember he had some connection to PE. Did he wrestle at Leyden?
Old 01-02-2013
coach/ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Coach Heniff, do I have the wrong name? I remember he had some connection to PE. Did he wrestle at Leyden?
Bob grew up in Moweaqua, Illinois, where ever that is? Central Illinois, I just read. Went to Eastern Ill. Started coaching in Urbana,....then to Kankakee, & then to Proviso West... In 1968 went to Glenbard North, started their wrestling program, & built it for 19 years.......was very successful. Mark Hahn followed his coach & has done quite well himself.

If PE is referring to Proviso East, his connection was at West. What years & how long, I do not know.
Old 01-03-2013
Varsity

This is a good thread --- It's good to remember some of the greats from earlier generations and how they became inspiration for kids to begin taking up the sport.

I remember Coach Fulk --- He always had tough teams and Coach Hahn certainly kept that tradition going.

One of the things I remember Coach Fulk organizing was a wrestling meet school assembly at Glenbard North HS. When I wrestled at ISU, we wrestled Northwestern & NIU at GBN high school in front of the staff and entire student body. It was a pretty cool environment to wrestle a meet in.
Old 01-04-2013
coach/ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigercoach View Post
This is a good thread --- It's good to remember some of the greats from earlier generations and how they became inspiration for kids to begin taking up the sport.

I remember Coach Fulk --- He always had tough teams and Coach Hahn certainly kept that tradition going.

One of the things I remember Coach Fulk organizing was a wrestling meet school assembly at Glenbard North HS. When I wrestled at ISU, we wrestled Northwestern & NIU at GBN high school in front of the staff and entire student body. It was a pretty cool environment to wrestle a meet in.
What year was that? I have a vague remembrance of reffing a college meet at GBN.
Old 01-04-2013
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmheniff View Post
What year was that? I have a vague remembrance of reffing a college meet at GBN.
Can't remamber the exact year, but it would've been in the late 80's.
Sponsored Links