Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 12-30-2014
SANFORD

Jack Dechow vs Sam Brooks

Jack Dechow is an absolute stud! Looked real good in semifinal...Next time he wrestles Brooks it will not be that close. Cousin Jordan Blanton will work on those finishes and he should open the gap next time around as Dechow was in on about 6 shots that he was real close to finishing.

On a side note, its so sad to see how Brooks has conceded to the Iowa style of wrestling..not one attack until the 3rd period off of Dechow's shot...Old Dominion > Iowa???
Old 12-30-2014
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loom21 View Post
Jack Dechow is an absolute stud! Looked real good in semifinal...Next time he wrestles Brooks it will not be that close. Cousin Jordan Blanton will work on those finishes and he should open the gap next time around as Dechow was in on about 6 shots that he was real close to finishing.

On a side note, its so sad to see how Brooks has conceded to the Iowa style of wrestling..not one attack until the 3rd period off of Dechow's shot...Old Dominion > Iowa???
Dechow looked good and picked up a very nice win over what had been a red hot Sammy Brooks.

Definitely not Sammy's best match. He is about the only Hawkeye that has been relentlessly attacking all season so I'm not sure why he didn't get after it that match.

That being said, Sammy didn't have his best match, by your own words "Dechow looked real good" and Dechow still needed a last second escape to squeak by 6-5.
Those widening gaps. Lol
Old 12-31-2014
Varsity

Stance discipline, physique, hips.

It is hard to inside trip or high crotch someone who is 3 inches shorter than you, doesn't come out of their stance and has a reshot and defense as good as Dechow's.

Brooks just couldn't open up Dechow like he did other people in the tournament but I believe that is a testament to how good Jack is right now.

Watching how well he penetrated on everyone this week he's my frontrunner for top of the podium in March.

I do agree that I hate the Iowa push... push... push style. Metcalfe has improved loads now that he can actually attack legs against international competition.
Old 12-31-2014
Olympian

even though Metcalf had heavy hands, he was a takedown MACHINE in college. Not sure were talking about the same wrestler.
Old 01-01-2015
Varsity

Jack Dechow looked great in the finals. Unfortunately I did not see the match against Brooks.... that being said, I think that Dechow will continue to improve this season, that kid may be on the BIG STAGE come NCAAs!!!
Old 01-01-2015
Varsity

Dechow was very impressive in the finals. Didn't get a chance to see his other matches.
Both he and Brooks are athletic, aggressive big guys who are fun to watch. Their future match ups could all be toss-ups
Old 01-01-2015
Varsity

I'm referring to his transition to international.

It took him years before he could penetrate and finish at the World Cup/ World Championships.

I know he was dominant in college but he had a hard transition, I think he had quite a few international meets without a win in his first few years on the freestyle circuit.
Old 01-01-2015
Varsity

Re. Dechow, he's already finished higher than Blanton in NCAA's !?
Old 01-02-2015
Olympian

"Metcalfe has improved loads now that he can actually attack legs against international competition."

the use of the word "now' infers that he lacked a leg attack THEN.

super duck..we were referencing college wrestling...Metcalf was a dominant takedown wrestler at the college wrestle. MOST wrestlers struggle against international styles when first competing against wrestlers who wrestle an international style ALL THE TIME.
Old 01-02-2015
Varsity

That raises another interesting topic : why do folkstyle leg attacks and finishes not work internationally ?
Sponsored Links