Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 02-14-2020
Varsity

Revision (?)

PURDUE (The chicken people?)

Assuming they start at 125

125 - L dec PU 3-0 - home toss-up - JC wrestles tough at home, but comes up short
- hopefully I'm wrong and Cardani can pick up a HUGE home win - if he can, UI wins the dual - NO PRESSURE Same
133 - W major UI 4-3 - TP comes up big with a much needed bonus point Same if TFM - Craig major OR tech
141 - W dec (major?) UI 7-3 - could this become a momentum/home major off of 133? Same
149 - L dec UI 7-6 - doesn't matter if it's Parriott or Limmex, still just a decision loss (hopefully) Same ?
157 - L dec PU 9-7 - Assuming Coleman - if Parriott goes, W - dec UI 10-6. Same (no Parriott)
165 - W major (or tech/fall?) UI 11-9 - Bonus, bonus points would be HUGE !!! UI 14-6 Same
174 - L dec PU 12-11 - toss-up - Guns keeps it close at home, but falls short UI 14-9 Same
184 - W dec UI 14-12 - ZB too much at home UI 17-9 Same
197 - L dec PU 15-14 - the home mat keeps this from being a devastating major loss UI 17-12 Same if Brunner - W dec - if Florell
285 - W dec UI 17-15 - toss-up home win - Luff has improved greatly throughout the season
- if it comes down to this being the last match this may be a good one to be at.... UI 20-12 (PU 18-14) Same if Penola - W major if Eli

Illinois needs to pray for a start at 157 to keep Coleman out. so much for that.......

The biggest factor in this dual is whether Kendall Coleman is able to go, and if so, what condition he is in.
- (6 UI wins vs. 5 wins each)

The other (obvious) factor is bonus points.
- the Illini HAVE to get them at every opportunity AND keep Purdue from getting them to have any chance at winning this dual against a very much improved (and improving) Boilermaker team.

The dual being at home could be the deciding factor, with the crowd and the teams momentum lately.

Bottom line, the Illini have their work cut out for them. (I know, THAT was a stretch....)
IF the "ORs" go for PU, I expect that UI gets 1 or 2 more points. Not much changes, other than the Coleman match, his condition being too hard to predict

(team score if Purdue wins the toss-ups)
team score with Coleman out and Parriott @ 157
Old 02-15-2020
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post

125 - L dec PU 3-0 - home toss-up - JC wrestles tough at home, but comes up short
- hopefully I'm wrong and Cardani can pick up a HUGE home win - if he can, UI wins the dual - NO PRESSURE Same
133 - W major UI 4-3 - TP comes up big with a much needed bonus point Same if TFM - Craig major OR tech
141 - W dec (major?) UI 7-3 - could this become a momentum/home major off of 133? Same
149 - L dec UI 7-6 - doesn't matter if it's Parriott or Limmex, still just a decision loss (hopefully) Same ?
157 - L dec PU 9-7 - Assuming Coleman - if Parriott goes, W - dec UI 10-6. Same (no Parriott)
165 - W major (or tech/fall?) UI 11-9 - Bonus, bonus points would be HUGE !!! UI 14-6 Same
174 - L dec PU 12-11 - toss-up - Guns keeps it close at home, but falls short UI 14-9 Same
197 - L dec PU 15-14 - the home mat keeps this from being a devastating major loss UI 17-12 Same if Brunner - W dec - if Florell
285 - W dec UI 17-15 - toss-up home win - Luff has improved greatly throughout the season
- if it comes down to this being the last match this may be a good one to be at.... UI 20-12 (PU 18-14) Same if Penola - W major if Eli

Illinois needs to pray for a start at 157 to keep Coleman out. so much for that.......

The biggest factor in this dual is whether Kendall Coleman is able to go, and if so, what condition he is in.

- the Illini HAVE to get them at every opportunity AND keep Purdue from getting them to have any chance at winning this dual against a very much improved (and improving) Boilermaker team.

The dual being at home could be the deciding factor, with the crowd and the teams momentum lately.

Bottom line, the Illini have their work cut out for them. (I know, THAT was a stretch....)
IF the "ORs" go for PU, I expect that UI gets 1 or 2 more points. Not much changes, other than the Coleman match, his condition being too hard to predict

The Brunner match (or no go) could be a seven point swing. Agree that nobody can predict whether Coleman wrestles. My best guess is you keep him out two weeks minimum for a concussion. If he gets hurt again so soon, that's big problems for a coach. Thanks, Crystal Clearly!

WARILLINI!!!
Old 02-15-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
The Brunner match (or no go) could be a seven point swing. Agree that nobody can predict whether Coleman wrestles. My best guess is you keep him out two weeks minimum for a concussion. If he gets hurt again so soon, that's big problems for a coach. Thanks, Crystal Clearly!

WARILLINI!!!
You bet Chief, this looks like a fun dual to be at.

I am really liking the job Purdue has done lately, to become more and more relevant in the (second tier of the) B1G is a major feat. Tony Ersland is doing a great job.

I would hate to see Coleman go, if he is still dealing with concussion symptoms the coach/trainer/medical staff has an obligation to Coleman's safety. (See my posts in the 3A section.....)
Old 02-16-2020
Olympian

FINAL: 18 - 14 Bad guys. I wasn't able to watch the dual, but after I do, I'll do a recap. Anybody who went to the match, please fill us in.
Old 02-16-2020
Go for the pin

That's the Illini I'm used to. No heart, no passion from the coach, and lost to a Purdue team that they should have beat. Hey but Wrobleski finally got a take-down to win a match instead of making a half hearted inside trip that never works or letting go of a single leg. He needs to lift and get stronger.
Old 02-16-2020
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
FINAL: 18 - 14 Bad guys. I wasn't able to watch the dual, but after I do, I'll do a recap. Anybody who went to the match, please fill us in.
Parriot wrestled 149. A backup bumped up to 157. Despite this Purdue still won the dual. Who'd a thunk it
Old 02-16-2020
Varsity

Cardani good close loss. Duncan unfortunately gave up a 6 point move that made the difference. Limmex did go up to 157. ZB not sure what happened there, Lyon is ok but still disappointing to lose that one. 285 for Purdue came out strong and LL couldnt make up the deficit. Sorry to see the undefeated home streak end, more guys had knees wrapped so not the best healthwise I guess.
Old 02-16-2020
Varsity

Quote:

WARILLINI!!!
Some thoughts: Cardani has to learn how to shoot a proper single. I love his moxie, though. Pio looked good. We needed the bonus point at that time.
Duncan got sloppy and got caught. We lost the meet right there. Barone actually got a take down and looked good doing it. Where has this been? Good match by him. Little Braunagel looked good and got the tech fall. Gunther did his usual Barone impression, although he did make an attempt at an arm drag. Zac Braunagel looked really bad. One, I repeat one, legitimate attempt at a takedown. He kept moving forward but didn't really try anything. Not acceptable. We've seen this movie before. Congrats to Wrobleski on a tough win. Luffman looked bad and lost to a mediocre guy. I realize he's only a freshman, but by now he's over that hump and needs to do more on his feet. Tying up is not being offensive unless you're using it to set up something. Overall, we probably did not deserve to win this meet.
Old 02-16-2020
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post

JC was clearly the better wrestler in the match - just couldn't finish it
Would have liked to see TP work harder for the major - gotta get it for the team there
DD walked into that (pretty) throw - props
MJ gave his best, just not enough to win
Limmex - EB gets the dec win with a solid match
DB comes up huge with the tech
Guns got caught sleeping in SV
ZB was sleeping too....trouble brewing
Florell - Wrobo comes through with a solid win - gives UI a chance for the win
Penola - Luff just did not have enough

Great road win for the Boilers

Hard to hear the crowd through the silence

Ended up close to my prediction, the Duncan match threw a wrench into the works and, ultimately, was the deciding factor.
Old 02-16-2020
Junior Varsity

First match I was able to watch start to finish and I thought I would see better. Cardani was a close loss to a tough kid, Pio looked good, after that not much good. 174 and up they got out hustled and out physicaled. Purdue missing 2 starters and still beat them. I donít really see any AA this year. Hopefully they can improve between now and tournament time.
Sponsored Links