Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 11-21-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 11/21

We had a very long, but good weekend in Omaha. The tournament took forever, but I think our team really performed very well. We went out and wrestled our style and competed hard and with a high level of intensity, which is what we stress.

I finished second, losing to kid from a small school in Tennessee, who I have never heard of before. I won my first match with a pin, and then beat two guys from Iowa St, each by a point. In the quarterfinals against Turner from ISU, i was down 5-3 in the third and came back to win 7-6. Then agaisnt Bertilino from ISU in the semis, I scored a takedown with about 45 seconds left to win. So those were good matches for me. In the finals, I just couldn't find a counter to his single and struggled some. Overall I was pleased, although I'll never say I'm happy with second place. I thought I could have opened up a lot more still and wrestled a bit better, but it is progress and a decent start to the season. I just need to keep my pace up in matches and force people to wrestle for 7 mins with me. And, I think I am getting there, and realizing what kind of shape I really am in.

Duke wrestled great in the 20 and under division. He was in control the entire tournament and was never in danger of losing a match. He looked really good. I think he could have placed in the Open division had he entered. He is doing really well, and getting better every day, which is key. Hopefully they give him a chance to start for us this yr so he can prove that he belongs.

We now have some time off, for Thanksgiving and what not. We will take 3 days off of practice at the end of this week to get home and be with our families, and then come back next week and be ready to go against Northwestern. I'm really looking forward to going home and relaxing, and also getting a daily workout or two in with Duke. I am even more so looking forward to next Thursday against Northwestern. Their guy (Herbert) is ranked #2 in the country. I have a lot of faith that I am going to go into the match with a good game plan and a lot of intensity, and hopefully I can put my game plan to work and get some things done against one of the best in the country. I think our team has a great chance of coming out with the win if things go as planned, so hopefully we come in healthy and ready to go.

That's all for now. Thanks again for reading and supporting us. Good luck to all high school wrestlers who start their seasons this week. Have fun and work hard. Also, have a great Thanksgiving, and be safe.

Thanks again, and God Bless.

-Danny-

PS - My shoutout this week goes to DUKE, who's birthday was yesterday, and to my nephew Dillon, who makes me realize that the small things in life are what matter the most!!

"Nothing in life ever comes easy. If it was easy, EVERYONE would do it...."

Last edited by admin; 11-21-2005 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2005
Junior Varsity

Great touney for you, Duke and the whole NIU team. Wooten beating Frishkorn turned a lot of heads, as did Grimes and yourself getting into the finals. The young guys all looked good in the 20 and under... with the possible exception of Duke, a redshirt year is going to make them tougher and ready to compete for starting spots next year.

FYI - There is a running thread on TheMat about who your finals opponent is, as nobody seems to know. It's most likely that he transferred from UTC last year, where he was behind All-American Jon Soriedas. One things is for sure, he is one tough customer. Here is the link if you are interested, I also linked back here:

http://thematforums.com/myforum/?sho...076&forum_id=3
Old 11-23-2005

Question

Knull looked really good in the wrestle-off with Grimes. I heard he hurt his knee, and have noticed he hasn't been in the last 2 opens. How's his knee doing and when do you think he will be back in competition.

Also, great job in Neb. Bertillino is tough, and I heard you handled him well.
Old 11-23-2005
Olympian

Thank you. I am improving each time out, which is the goal. We have 3 huge meets coming up, and the team and myself all need to perform very well. My training is right where it needs to be.

Kalen is going to be alright. He hurt the knee in the wrestle off and tried coming back at Stevens Pt, and it was too soon. But hes working hard at getting better and is going to be back soon. Mike is wrestling well though, and it will be hard to knock him out of the lineup. But for Kalen's individual sake, Im hoping he can get back to training normally soon.

keep asking questions if you guys are wondering about anything else. Thanks
Sponsored Links