Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Rob Sherrill's Blog

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-24-2010
Rob Sherrill Rob Sherrill is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,260
Four to the Junior freestyle finals...and the lead

Preparing the finalist bios for the Junior freestyle cut my available time short last night, so here's your Junior wrap for Friday...and the news is better than I thought it was going to be.

Not only does Illinois have four in the finals - Matt Garelli (98), Eddie Klimara (125), Edwin Cooper (140) and Chris Lopez (285), but we still hold the lead over Iowa, which was really looking like gangbusters heading into the Friday night session.

Iowa also advanced four to the finals, and I thought they would have more high placers. But with five advancing to third-place matches for Illinois, as well as three to fifth-place matches, Illinois holds a 64-57 lead over Iowa as we head into the championship and medal matches at noon.

So it probably won't be the cliff-hanger that the Cadet Nationals were. Only a complete collapse in this session would prevent a third title this week. Seven wins would clinch the title, though I'm not sure we'll get quite that many. Three firsts and a second by four points...Wow!

Klimara was involved in the final action of the night. The round after he lost to Mark Grey of New Jersey, he beat Kevin Norstrem of Florida in two periods, the second on a clinch. The Florida folks protested the match, which took on added signficance when Norstrem dumped Grey, 4-0, 1-0 in the round robin. Because he didn't score against Norstrem, Grey fell to third place in the pool, and when the protest was upheld, Klimara and Norstrem had to rewestle the second period for all the marbles. Klimara won easily, 3-0, to gain Illinois' fourth and last finals berth, well after the Fargodome floor had been cleared.

The places our 14...count 'em, 14...All-Americans will be going for:

98 - Matt Garelli, finals; Nkosi Moody, 3rd
112 - Jake Elmore, 3rd
125 - Eddie Klimara, finals
130 - Trevor Jauch, 3rd; Joe Gosinski, 5th
140 - Edwin Cooper, finals; Nick Dardanes, 3rd; Blaise Butler, 7th
160 - Nick Proctor, 7th
189 - Austin Marsden, 3rd; Dan Santoro, 5th
215 - Gage Harrah, 5th
285 - Chris Lopez, finals

Last edited by Rob Sherrill; 07-24-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-24-2010
lvillewrestling2 lvillewrestling2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
Preparing the finalist bios for the Junior freestyle cut my available time short last night, so here's your Junior wrap for Friday...and the news is better than I thought it was going to be.

Not only does Illinois have four in the finals - Matt Garelli (98), Eddie Klimara (125), Edwin Cooper (140) and Chris Lopez (285), but we still hold the lead over Iowa, which was really looking like gangbusters heading into the Friday night session.

Iowa also advanced four to the finals, and I thought they would have more high placers. But with five advancing to third-place matches for Illinois, as well as three to fifth-place matches, Illinois holds a 64-57 lead over Iowa as we head into the championship and medal matches at noon.

So it probably won't be the cliff-hanger that the Cadet Nationals were. Only a complete collapse in this session would prevent a third title this week. Seven wins would clinch the title, though I'm not sure we'll get quite that many. Three firsts and a second by four points...Wow!

Klimara was involved in the final action of the night. The round after he lost to Mark Grey of New Jersey, he beat Kevin Norstrem of Florida in two periods, the second on a clinch. The Florida folks protested the match, which took on added signficance when Norstrem dumped Grey, 4-0, 1-0 in the round robin. Because he didn't score against Norstrem, Grey fell to third place in the pool, and when the protest was upheld, Klimara and Norstrem had to rewestle the second period for all the marbles. Klimara won easily, 3-0, to gain Illinois' fourth and last finals berth, well after the Fargodome floor had been cleared.

The places our 14...count 'em, 14...All-Americans will be going for:

98 - Matt Garelli, finals; Nkosi Moody, 3rd
112 - Jake Elmore, 3rd
125 - Eddie Klimara, finals
130 - Trevor Jauch, 3rd; Joe Gosinski, 5th
140 - Edwin Cooper, finals; Nick Dardanes, 3rd; Blaise Butler, 7th
160 - Nick Proctor, 7th
189 - Austin Marsden, 3rd; Dan Santoro, 5th
215 - Gage Harrah, 5th
285 - Chris Lopez, finals
Is there anywhere online we could read the bios?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-24-2010
Rob Sherrill Rob Sherrill is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 1,260
They're on themat.com under the Special Event Coverage section.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-24-2010
lvillewrestling2 lvillewrestling2 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Sherrill View Post
They're on themat.com under the Special Event Coverage section.
Thanks much
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2010
IKWFMan IKWFMan is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 35
Thanks to Rob and Illinois Matmen for posting their blogs during the tournaments.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2010
Greenskin Greenskin is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by IKWFMan View Post
Thanks to Rob and Illinois Matmen for posting their blogs during the tournaments.
Agreed. Dopes like me would be in the dark without you guys. You're the best.
__________________
"I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed!" Gen. George Patton
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.