Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IESA

Old 12-15-2018
Varsity

IESA today

Anything exiting happen here in Illinois today in IESA?
Old 12-17-2018
beauhunter

Porta_Duals

Good numbers for most of the teams there. Lots of young wrestlers filling lineups and several alternates getting quality matches.

Something new to my eyes.

Thatís some good news, we need it.
Old 12-29-2018

Just curious to what grade you are seeing increased numbers? I am speculating the division/age change over at the IKWF is driving more kids over to IESA.
Old 12-30-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadad33 View Post
Just curious to what grade you are seeing increased numbers? I am speculating the division/age change over at the IKWF is driving more kids over to IESA.
I doubt that the division issue effects IESA except for a few. Most people do not have an IESA option, only the kids who attend a school that has it, which is fairly rare. For example, how many different schools for kids are on big teams like Twisters or Tinley Bulldogs -7? Most IKWF teams probably draw from 5 diff. grade schools. (my kids were in IKWF, would have done IESA if an option) If every school had an IESA option it would be bigger than IKWF. If all the kids were in it, it would be more than competitive. It is simply more convenient - you kid is already there and can simply practice after school.
Plus kids would be on more teams with their friends and classmates which is preferable. IKWF would end up being like the travel teams in soccer etc.
Old 12-31-2018

Good point about not all kids having the option. I guess I just assumed most of the Jr Highs in the state had it. My bad. My son is a 7th grader (12 year old) and does both, wanted to do some thing for the school, be with friends, everything you pointed out. This was decided before the IKWF change. I think now he is glad he did. Going out there on Sundays getting throttled against a kid that should be in HS is proving to be less than fun. School is offering a good balance.
Old 12-31-2018
World Champ

Quote:
Originally Posted by justadad33 View Post
Good point about not all kids having the option. I guess I just assumed most of the Jr Highs in the state had it. My bad. My son is a 7th grader (12 year old) and does both, wanted to do some thing for the school, be with friends, everything you pointed out. This was decided before the IKWF change. I think now he is glad he did. Going out there on Sundays getting throttled against a kid that should be in HS is proving to be less than fun. School is offering a good balance.
The holdbacks in IKWF are still the same age as all other 8th graders. If a parent decides to hold their kid back at kindergarten nobody thinks it's a big deal but if they do it in 8th grade it's the same. I would never hold back my kid in 8th but doesn't mean I should judge others that decide this route.
Sponsored Links