Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 01-16-2009
Wrestling Media

Comparing college to high school - Part Four

By Andre’ Morgan
Premiumpreps.com / illinoismatmen.com

While at the NWCA National Duals in Cedar Falls, Iowa, I talked with a few selected Illinois wrestlers that wrestle for various teams around the United States. I became interested in what differences they had noticed in high school and college wrestlers. I am doing a series of feature articles on this subject.

A complete story of all of their answers can be found on premiumpreps.com in the next week but for my friends here at illinoismatmen.com here is a sample of their thoughts.

Bernard (B.J.) Futrell – Illinois (Mt. Carmel) 2x State Champion, 2x USA Wrestling Freestyle finalist, 3x All State, 3x Chicago Catholic League Champion, 2x Team Illinois Freestyle Team National Champion, currently ranked 27 @ 125

1. What are the differences you have noticed between h.s. and college wrestling?
The intensity and competition are tougher. A lot of the finer points have to be paid attention to. You have to concentrate on the small things that make a big difference.

2. In what ways do you train different from the way you did in h.s.?
The room is just more competitive. Every day when you go to practice you know you are going to battle.

3. Were you prepared for the college level coming out of h.s.?
I think I was prepared. Going to Illinois over the summer was helpful by lifting and preparing my body for what it was about to face

4. Describe the differences in officiating in college?
The main thing is they let you wrestle. A lot of points are scored on the edge of the mat and that does not happen in high school.

5. What differences in the team aspect do you notice between h.s. and college?
With there being only 10 matches every match counts. You have to be prepared every time out.

6. How good is Illinois wrestling compared to the wrestlers from other states you face?
I believe we are the best state – simple as that!

7. Describe balancing the academics and athletics of college versus h.s.?
In h.s. you have weekend tournaments. In college you might have to travel across the country for a dual meet. And you have to be proactive about your studies. You need to be a student first then an athlete.

Last edited by admin; 01-16-2009 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added picture
Sponsored Links