Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-01-2009
Olympian

New Season

Hello all. This is the first blog of the new wrestling season, and I will try to keep it updated as much as possible with interviews to come later on as well. If anyone has any ideas for a blog or an interview, let me know and I will do my best to address those issues and talk to those people who you want to hear from.

For me, wrestling season begins with an adjustment - I had exactly one day off between coaching soccer and coaching wrestling. Of course, I wouldn't want it any other way - we played in the state championship game for the second year in a row in soccer, this time coming up just a bit short against St Viator, losing 1-0. We had beaten St Viator 3-2 earlier in the year, but just couldn't get anything into the net in the championship game. Although second is clearly not the goal for our program, we had a really nice season and we have a lot to build on for the future. Mike Bare (ADMIN) does a great job with our soccer kids and it is a lot of fun to work with him and continue to try to get our program to the next level. We have been coaching the soccer team here for 3 years, have been to the state title game 2 of those seasons (the last 2), and will look to continue that streak here next year.

So, soccer ended on a Saturday, and wrestling began on a Monday, so it was back to work right away for me. Like I said - I enjoy it that way. I like to stay busy, plus I don't mind only have one day off if it means we are playing for a state title every year. Our wrestling team is continuing to make strides to become one of the better programs in our area, and we actually have a good handful of freshmen who have wrestled before they entered high school, which is a first for our program. I am excited for this season with our kids, and they are excited as well. We have a lot of room to improve, but they have been working hard to make big leaps this year.

This coming Sunday, we will travel to Ames, IA to watch Duke and the #2 Cyclones take on the #1 Hawkeyes. It should be a great dual. There are a lot of toss-up matches and hopefully the home crowd can pull the Cyclones through. Duke will wrestle Jay Borschel again. They have met twice with Borschel winning both. He is tough and wrestles hard, and is probably the favorite heading into the match. But, this is the healthiest Duke has been heading into a match again Borschel, so I am looking for a good match and a different outcome this year. Iowa St has a nice lineup and some dangerous weapons, and if they can put things together and stay healthy at the end of the year, I think they will make a run at Iowa. But, this weekend is first, and hopefully they come out and take care of business. From what I have seen and heard, the new staff at ISU really has done a great job getting these kids to buy in and to motivate them in ways that I did not see last year. Let's hope that continues and results in some big wins for the Cyclones.

Other than that, I don't have much right now. Again, let me know if you guys have any good ideas for blogs - I will write about anything pretty much, just let me know what you want to read about. Also, I have some ideas for interviews, but would love to get your ideas as well. Thanks guys, and good luck to all the wrestlers out there. The next 2-3 months are the most exciting of the year, so enjoy yourselves.

- Danny
Old 12-01-2009
Wrestling Media

Nice. I always look foward to your blogs. You do a good job with them, just need more of them but then again the life of a teacher/coach is very busy.

I will be watching the 141 match at the Iowa war with much interest.
Old 12-01-2009
Varsity

Hey Danny, congrats on your soccer year you had..

I have to ask you and you don't have to answer if you don't want to, but which sport do you like coaching better? Wrestling or Soccer.. Which one is more enjoyable?

Anyway I will be seeing you soon..Just on opposite sides...

Best of luck this year..

Also is the Iowa St dual going to be televised
Old 12-01-2009
Olympian

Iowa/Iowa State

There are gonna be a lot of great matches. Fanthorpe/Dennis, Reader/Morningstar, Gallick/MarionorLeclere...I'm gonna give this dual to Iowa State in a close one.
Old 12-01-2009
Olympian

Soccer and wrestling both present different challenges. In soccer, I get to coach with one of my best friends and my brother in law. He and i have a great relationship and work well together. I know my role, and I do the best I can to help him and the team. We compete for a state title every year - and thats a lot of fun. We play 2-3 nationally ranked teams every year, and the "next step" is to get ourselves ranked in the top 10 nationally. The kids we get here that play soccer have been playing their whole lives, and a lot of time, they have all been playing together for countless years. Competition for a spot on the team, and then a spot in the lineup makes people want to come in and work hard every day. If not, they might not be playing very much. The program here has been solid since the 1990's, and we are just trying to continue the tradition and put ourselves on the map nationally as a program every year. Soccer is something I never really saw myself coaching 5 years ago, but I enjoy it a lot and I have developed a love for the game.

Wrestling obviously is my main sport, and it is the sport I always knew I would coach. I get to coach with my dad, who I have always looked up to and always wanted to coach with. Again - we work very well together and I could never ask for anything different. The challenges we have in wrestling at our school are much different than soccer. We dont get many, if any, kids who have previous wrestling experience. Wrestling is not a "main" sport at our school, or really in our area. So, getting kids to come out, teaching them the basics, and watching them grow from there is something I have grown to enjoy quite a bit. Our program is not at the top level of the state, but every year we are getting better and better, and hopefully soon will be the best program in our area. That would be an achievement. We have never won a regional title in wrestling at our school, so therefore, that is a goal we work towards every day. Once we do that, we can go on from there. I have yet to coach someone who has advanced to the state meet in wrestling, so that is another goal we are working towards.

So, the challenges are very different, both both are very exciting for me. I enjoy both of them equally, and I have put a lot of time into both of them. Reaching the next step - whatever that may be - is the goal we have in both programs, and we do it with the same main method - team work, hard work, class, discipline, and trying to develop better people as well as better athletes.
Old 12-01-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
Soccer and wrestling both present different challenges. In soccer, I get to coach with one of my best friends and my brother in law. He and i have a great relationship and work well together. I know my role, and I do the best I can to help him and the team. We compete for a state title every year - and thats a lot of fun. We play 2-3 nationally ranked teams every year, and the "next step" is to get ourselves ranked in the top 10 nationally. The kids we get here that play soccer have been playing their whole lives, and a lot of time, they have all been playing together for countless years. Competition for a spot on the team, and then a spot in the lineup makes people want to come in and work hard every day. If not, they might not be playing very much. The program here has been solid since the 1990's, and we are just trying to continue the tradition and put ourselves on the map nationally as a program every year. Soccer is something I never really saw myself coaching 5 years ago, but I enjoy it a lot and I have developed a love for the game.

Wrestling obviously is my main sport, and it is the sport I always knew I would coach. I get to coach with my dad, who I have always looked up to and always wanted to coach with. Again - we work very well together and I could never ask for anything different. The challenges we have in wrestling at our school are much different than soccer. We dont get many, if any, kids who have previous wrestling experience. Wrestling is not a "main" sport at our school, or really in our area. So, getting kids to come out, teaching them the basics, and watching them grow from there is something I have grown to enjoy quite a bit. Our program is not at the top level of the state, but every year we are getting better and better, and hopefully soon will be the best program in our area. That would be an achievement. We have never won a regional title in wrestling at our school, so therefore, that is a goal we work towards every day. Once we do that, we can go on from there. I have yet to coach someone who has advanced to the state meet in wrestling, so that is another goal we are working towards.

So, the challenges are very different, both both are very exciting for me. I enjoy both of them equally, and I have put a lot of time into both of them. Reaching the next step - whatever that may be - is the goal we have in both programs, and we do it with the same main method - team work, hard work, class, discipline, and trying to develop better people as well as better athletes.

Very nicely put...
I will tell you that you will most likely be getting two brothers that wrestle in our program. They are very talented and come from a great family.. One of them even plays soccer.. You will have great succes with both of these two boys..
As far as being the best in the area. Well how about second best.. LOL.. I would like to see the orange and black be best in the area.. (you know I am bias)
Best of luck, and I do hope you reach your goals..
Old 12-01-2009
Junior Varsity

Lightbulb blog idea

How about discussing ideas on how to get school administrations behind wrestling programs. Coming from a small school we play second fiddle to anything else that is in the works in our school. It would be interesting to hear how other programs gain respect from the administration??????? just an idea?

Thanks...
Old 12-01-2009
Olympian

Danny,

Having coached with your Dad at Spalding, seeing you guys win a regional title would be very exciting. You're right. There are many obstacles to overcome, not the least of which is getting kids caught up who have never wrestled before. There is a lot of that going around the high schools in this area. But there are a lot of the kids programs pumping kids into the high schools that are making an impact and can help those teams get to the promised land. Those programs weren't prevelant when I was coaching high school and a lot needed to taught from scratch. The one positive is that you can eliminate bad habits before they begin and teach your style and technique.....but having 100-150 matches under your belt when you start as a freshman is a huge advantage over anyone who hasn't wrestled before. With the emphasis on football and basketball in Central Illinois I think the area schools will always struggle putting a team on the mat that will compete on a statewide basis. But I do believe that there is no reason the area can't experience great success on an individual basis. That being said we've started this year with almost 50 kids in the youth program. That's up from about 30 last year.
Old 12-01-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by rascal13 View Post
How about discussing ideas on how to get school administrations behind wrestling programs. Coming from a small school we play second fiddle to anything else that is in the works in our school. It would be interesting to hear how other programs gain respect from the administration??????? just an idea?

Thanks...
*A few ideas...(but you probably know all this)...in no particular order

Increase the number of kids who participate in wrestling (a kids program always helps)

Increase parent involvement. Parents talk to teachers and administrators

Make sure you are the coach to ALL wrestlers, not just the stars of the team

If you are a teacher at the school (and even if you aren't), talk to teachers and try to get them to attend duals. Although students want to be too cool to care, most really like it if a teacher attends a dual

See if you can get the student newspaper to cover wrestling more

Provide administrators lists of prominent people who have wrestled, especially at the college level (I can help here, but not now).

Emphasize over and over to the wrestlers that they need to make good decisions off the mat--nothing hurts a program more than when a wrestler gets into trouble

Best of luck!
Sponsored Links