Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 12-10-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky44 View Post
Danny- How are you going to bag on Gallick. He was hurting, not being wore down and he still toughed it out and got the win. I know Duke is your brother but he has not improved over the last two years. He did not wrestle the match to win it he wrestled to keep it close, and did a poor job of that. I think you did a poor job of not giving enough credit to Gallick and you are giving to much credit to Burk.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. However, you dont really know too much about what you are saying. 2007 Midlands - Borschel dec Burk 10-1. 2008 dual meet - Borschel dec Burk 6-2 with about 3 mins of riding time.
2009 dual meet...Borschel dec Burk 10-4, with Burk getting a takedown and being in position to score multiple times. Not the best result, but clearly things have changed. Wrestled to keep it close?? So after the first minute and a half, when Duke did the bulk of the shooting, how is that wrestling to keep it close?? Clearly I stated that Duke was hesitant for the first part of the match....so are you arguing the same point? Borcshel is a tough guy to get your offense going against - but you would know that, right?
Last year Duke was hurt, a lot. In fact, he currently has 2 shoulders that both need surgery, yet is still training hard and competing to win matches. So, looking at last year's results is not indicative of how much he has improved. He literally had about 3-4 weeks at the most where he could train without the injury. There is a lot you can do about that, right? And for you to sit there and judge someone based on watching them one time in a match against the #2 kid in the country.....doesnt say much about you as a person. Your judgement matters very little to Duke. But, again, you keep your opinion, and Ill keep mine.
As for Gallick - yes, he is hurt. But so are other guys in the lineup. I never said he wasnt hurt or was out of shape or anything. Perhaps because he hasnt had a lot of time to train appropriately, certainly it does not help - but regardless, he wore down in the match and Leclere stayed on him and attacked, which is what I said in the review of the match. I wasnt saying anything negative about him. Gallick did the same thing last year against Tanelli of Wisconsin early in the year, and by the time NCAAs rolled around, he looked great. So, I dont put much stock into Gallick's struggles early in the season with his conditioning. He won the match because he found a way to win it. Hats off to him. Come Big 12 and NCAAs, Gallick is going to be there and be a major factor in the 141 National Title and will score points for the team.
Thanks for the reply though....keep on living the good life bro.

Last edited by Danny Burk; 12-10-2009 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-10-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyeinillinois View Post
Ramos is redshirting and is recovering from surgery. Clark is redshirting because Iowa State did not release him when he transferred. However, I don't think either of them could beat McDonough at 125. McDonough beat Clark pretty handily in wrestleoffs. If McDonough moves up to 133 next year (as some predict he will) there should be a good battle between Ramos & Clark for the starting position at 125. McDonough will have his hands full at 133 with Nate Moore, though.
McDonough is tough. I was impressed by him probably the most of any wrestler on Sunday. He is an Iowa style wrestler in the sense that he just goes and goes. He wrestles a lot like Borschel, who I enjoy watching (except against Duke!). I would have a hard time believing that Clark/Ramos will ever beat him. They better hope he goes to 133.....or, if they do end up beating him, whoever starts ahead of him will be in line to win a national title
Old 12-10-2009
Olympian

Iowa

What Highschool did Mcdonough go to?
Old 12-12-2009

Danny- The reason duke started shooting was because he was called for stalling in the frist 2 mins of the match. Ill give him credit for changing his style and being more aggressive after the stall call. Also looking at those results with jay it looks like little improvement like you said jay gets out of position alot so duke should be able to have lots of chances to score, with jay its not about getting to the leg its finishing. Do you think my opinion is based on one match? I have watched duke wrestle plenty of times. Im also glad that my opinion does not matter to him because it shouldnt, its just my opinion. Also you did say say Gallick was being wore down which i took as getting tired. In this sport i understand that everyone has injuries and is not 100% but of all people you should know a bad injury can affect someones wrestling. Cause i believe it was you who said that this year is the healthiest duke has ever been and you are looking for big things from him cause he is finally healthy. Finally dont worry bro I will live the good life! i hope you do the same. Also good luck to you and your teams this year!
Old 12-12-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky44 View Post
Danny- The reason duke started shooting was because he was called for stalling in the frist 2 mins of the match. Ill give him credit for changing his style and being more aggressive after the stall call. Also looking at those results with jay it looks like little improvement like you said jay gets out of position alot so duke should be able to have lots of chances to score, with jay its not about getting to the leg its finishing. Do you think my opinion is based on one match? I have watched duke wrestle plenty of times. Im also glad that my opinion does not matter to him because it shouldnt, its just my opinion. Also you did say say Gallick was being wore down which i took as getting tired. In this sport i understand that everyone has injuries and is not 100% but of all people you should know a bad injury can affect someones wrestling. Cause i believe it was you who said that this year is the healthiest duke has ever been and you are looking for big things from him cause he is finally healthy. Finally dont worry bro I will live the good life! i hope you do the same. Also good luck to you and your teams this year!
But see, you took "Gallick getting wore down" as a negative comment towards Gallick, and therefore thought you should be able to take a stab at Duke. Like I said - I wasnt saying anything bad about Gallick. Against an IOWA kid, a lot people wear down. It doesnt mean they are in bad shape or anything like that. Just means they were getting worn down. Gallick had a high pace early on, and Leclere stayed on him and wore him down....for whatever reason. Regardless, Gallick found a way to win.
Sponsored Links