Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 01-16-2006
Varsity

The Burk Blog 1/16

Hello again. I have not written for quite a while, and I am sorry about that. Anyways, I have seen some great wrestling over break and the rest from not having to go to school was nice.

Christmas Break went well as far as wrestling is concerned. We practiced twice a day for the first week of break and then were off for about a week, then were back at it. I feel that I am getting better with my hand fighting and just with going hard. I finished 3rd at the 'Flash Flanagan' Open. I lost my first match to Phil Keddy from Iowa, then won 3 in a row. Keddy was short and stocky, and I did not adjust to that all too well. I tried to work out of ties and that just allowed him to use his size. But I learned from it and shall move on.

As far as watching high school wrestling goes, we made a stop at the Dvorak for the second day. It was nice to see so many fans there to watch the matches. There were many semis and finals matches that were great. I thought the Benefiel-Pretto match was the best though.

I went to the national duals this past weekend and it was a great time. Watching the best in the country shows you what it takes to be the best. I was fortunate enough to be able to stay for the final dual between Minnesota and OSU. It was the best dual I have ever seen. Dustin Schlatter was very tough and then when Konrad threw Mocco, the place went nuts. I have never heard a louder crowd than I did there.

With me, I feel that the redshirt year is beginning to show its help. I am getting bigger and better. It's nice to see what our coaches are going over with our starters to make them better, and then I can apply that to myself. Also, I am watching wrestling videos and somehow I can pick things up from those. I have watched film of our guys and our opponents so I will know what to expect next year.

Well, I am going to go. Good luck to all as the season begins to reach its end. For seniors, it's the end of a career, make it count. Peace.

PS - I would like to dedicate this Entry to Mr. and Mrs. Ludwig, the proud parents of Coach Ryan Ludwig. They read all the entries and were disappointed I had not written in a while.

Last edited by admin; 01-16-2006 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-19-2006
Junior Varsity

Talking Family

Thanks for the dedication ! The wrestling community is one bug family and we enjoy it all. We really had a wonderful time meeting everyone (How"s that blanket?) speed + dedication + horsepower=CHAMPIONS
Sponsored Links