Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2012
Wrestling Media

It's Been Awhile...

..since I last penned a column so it is about time I did. Wrestling seems to have changed for both me and the state of Illinois the last couple of years.

Across the state, wrestling seems different the last couple of years. The buzz that use to be nightly across the discussion forums seems less. A lot less. Sure we have the occasional banter when Montini does something like not wrestle the last match of a dual or if a kid get's DQ'ed at the Dvorak. But even stuff like that only last for a day or so, maybe 2-3 lines on the forum then it's dead conversation. There is not much public vs private school debate or my favorite, Was Joe Williams cheated in his only loss by the ref?

Even the characters on the board are null and void. Only The Truth IS Out There is a villain. Whatever happened to people like Green Lantern, Extreme Cardinal or the most famous poster of them all, THE LOCK? There was a time when they logged on to this website I knew I had hours of moderation clean up to do. I think people actually hated them and if nothing else it made for interesting reading on the forums. I often wonder if we moderate too well now, not that this is an invitation for trouble makers, but you get my drift.

It seems gone are the days of the big controversial duals like when Glenbard North went down the street to Lombard and almost had a riot at Montini. I have never seen this website light up as fast as it did that night and may never see it again to that degree. No more Providence vs Mt. Carmel vs St. Rita edge of your seat wrestling. Even southern Illinois use to get into the act with a Granite City vs Edwardsville head banger dual. I remember when everyone wanted Montini out of Class A and that board kept Flashy busy nightly deleting. Now it seems as if everyone in class AA is cool if Montini runs the table this year. We don't even have the IHSA is the Evil Empire stuff posted anymore. That seemed to fizzle out when Dave Ganaway retired. Craig Anderson needs that Ganaway blank stare or do some dramatic ruling to fire the IHSA is bad talk again. Everyone loves the IHSA now that we have three classes sos there is no debate anymore.

Even the ladies got in the act back in the day with Cait Chase, Debbie Ramos, Kathy Schultz or Gail Rush giving nightly opinions on the wrestling scene better than most men.

There was a time when the best wrestlers in the state were known by one name, like rock stars..remember...Kennedy, Superman AKA Mikey, Mario, Albert, any Reynolds, Dennis, T.J., Oster, Fanthorpe, Manzella, Starczyk, Blanton, Berman, Duke, any Lloyd, any Williams, Goebel, BJ, Prater, Travis, T.C., Hutter, any Polz, Treadway, any Pero, Kenny, Precin...etc. It just is not the same anymore.

The college board is often the best board these days now that the Illini are ranked and Northwestern is very good as well. At least when Burk left NIU that was good for about 30 pages and days of we hate Dave Grant comments. Now no one seems to care about Northern Illinois. My how times have changed.

I don't even see much debate on the rankings. Nothing on who does them, how they are done or why they are the way they are.That was never the case 10-15 years ago. You know we are in the dead zone when the rankings are accepted by the masses with no debate about them.

I guess as Illinois got better as a wrestling state we got boring. Still it is not January yet so there is hope that some action will happen soon.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 01-03-2013 at 11:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2012
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
..since I last penned a column so it is about time I did. Wrestling seems to have changed for both me and the state of Illinois the last couple of years.

Across the state, wrestling seems different the last couple of years. The buzz that use to be nightly across the discussion forums seems less. A lot less. Sure we have the occasional banter when Montini does something like not wrestle the last match of a dual or if a kid get's DQ'ed at the Dvorak. But even stuff like that only last for a day or so, maybe 2-3 lines on the forum then it's dead conversation. There is not much public vs private school debate or my favorite, Was Joe Williams cheated in his only loss by the ref?

Even the characters on the board are null and void. Only The Truth IS Out There is a villain. Whatever happened to people like Green Lantern, Extreme Cardinal or the most famous poster of them all, THE LOCK? There was a time when they logged on to this website I knew I had hours of moderation clean up to do. I think people actually hated them and if nothing else it made for interesting reading on the forums. I often wonder if we moderate too well now, not that this is an invitation for trouble makers, but you get my drift.

It seems gone are the days of the big controversial duals like when Glenbard North went down the street to Lombard and almost had a riot at Montini. I have never seen this website light up as fast as it did that night and may never see it again to that degree. No more Providence vs Mt. Carmel vs St. Rita edge of your seat wrestling. Even southern Illinois use to get into the act with a Granite City vs Edwardsville head banger dual. I remember when everyone wanted Montini out of Class A and that board kept Flashy busy nightly deleting. Now it seems as if everyone in class AA is cool if Montini runs the table this year. We don't even have the IHSA is the Evil Empire stuff posted anymore. That seemed to fizzle out when Dave Ganaway retired. Craig Anderson needs that Ganaway blank stare or do some dramatic ruling to fire the IHSA is bad talk again. Everyone loves the IHSA now that we have three classes sos there is no debate anymore.

Even the ladies got in the act back in the day with Cait Chase, Debbie Ramos, Kathy Schultz or Gail Rush giving nightly opinions on the wrestling scene better than most men.

There was a time when the best wrestlers in the state were known by one name, like rock stars..remember...Kennedy, Superman AKA Mikey, Albert, any Reynolds, Dennis, T.J., Oster, Fanthorpe, Manzella, Starczyk, Blanton, Berman, Duke, any Lloyd, any Williams, Goebel, BJ, Prater, Travis, T.C., Hutter, any Polz, Treadway, any Pero, Kenny, Precin...etc. It just is not the same anymore.

The college board is often the best board these days now that the Illini are ranked and Northwestern is very good as well. At least when Burk left NIU that was good for about 30 pages and days of we hate Dave Grant comments. Now no one seems to care about Northern Illinois. My how times have changed.

I don't even see much debate on the rankings. Nothing on who does them, how they are done or why they are the way they are.That was never the case 10-15 years ago. You know we are in the dead zone when the rankings are accepted by the masses with no debate about them.

I guess as Illinois got better as a wrestling state we got boring. Still it is not January yet so there is hope that some action will happen soon.
I think the main answer to the general question you pose is because you specifically are so comfortable labeling someone (anyone) with a mind of their own as a "villain". What happened to no name calling? People recognize the rules only apply to some on here and they are enforced arbitrarily at best. Furthermore the way direct personal attacks are tolerated and encouraged from the anonymous fringe just because somebody expresses an opinion is pretty apparent. People see this pretty transparently. I believe they feel it isn't worth the trouble because its only a matter of time before they get the sometimes pompous powers-that-be turned against them too. And then they can watch the cockroaches scurry around in their business in the darkness of their anonymity while you call out whoever you want with impunity.

It was actually funny when I stopped posting for a while and you guys turned on Tilt and drove him away (or to a new screen name). He was certainly no fan of mine and I don't miss any of his unwarranted (but encouraged) attacks on me but damn if he didn't know what he was talking about on wrestling.

Bottom line: the environment you've helped create simply isn't conducive to what you feel is missing on here.

To watch you implore Green Lantern to make a return after the lynch mob mentality you helped and others helped create shows you're bordering on delusional in asking someone to return to the abuse you have in store for them.

Bottomline part 2: I do appreciate everything you do on here and the courtesy, kindness and wisdom you've extended to me (mostly in person).

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 12-30-2012 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-30-2012
Entitled

"Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men."

That's the problem with this board...
Old 12-30-2012
Owner/Webmaster

My take is that things are much more under control than they used to be. When I took over, it really was just a free for all on the boards. Now, posters are aware of the rules, generally follow them, and know if they don't, mods will step in. I will never say our moderation is perfect, but I feel we do a pretty good job.

The thing I am most proud of is how Illinois Matmen has evolved from a site known only for its drama filled message boards to a well-respected news resource with feature stories, the most detailed rankings in the country, all of the high school tournament results (and more and more dual results), and live video streams.
Old 12-30-2012
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
My take is that things are much more under control than they used to be. When I took over, it really was just a free for all on the boards. Now, posters are aware of the rules, generally follow them, and know if they don't, mods will step in. I will never say our moderation is perfect, but I feel we do a pretty good job.

The thing I am most proud of is how Illinois Matmen has evolved from a site known only for its drama filled message boards to a well-respected news resource with feature stories, the most detailed rankings in the country, all of the high school tournament results (and more and more dual results), and live video streams.
To be honest Mike I too am proud of that. And if as TIOT says we drove away people that wanted to distract from that atmosphere then so be it. He doesn't even know that I use to be THE villian around here, so yes I am comfortable with the word. I was just saying there was more overall action in discussion. Our visitor numbers are still the same, just less commentary from the ones that like negative commentary.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 12-30-2012 at 11:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2012
Olympian

This may be the most needless thread I have seen on here. And that is saying something.
Old 12-30-2012
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
This may be the most needless thread I have seen on here. And that is saying something.
Uh...it's not a thread, it's a column which means it's the 'columnist' opinion. Any responses are just reaction to an opinion. Who says they have to be ground breaking or earth shattering?
Old 12-30-2012
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
You didn't read it carefully. Someone's need was satisfied.
Old 12-30-2012
Varsity

Twist just needed a way to mention his son...twice... withdrawl and all.

Last edited by HandControl; 12-30-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 12-30-2012
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandControl View Post
Twist just needed a way to metnion his son...twice... withdrawl and all.
No...just saying y'all boring....I could care less about my son...he is right here...I could re write the column and take those references to him out and it would still be the same...watch when I do that...lol...I need y'all to spice this forum up...nothing about the current fans, wrestlers or teams is really like it was in the old days. Sorry if the truth hurts....we just had TWO big tournaments, Granite City and the Clash and nothing AT ALL ABOUT THEM IN THE THREADS...LIKE I SAID THE CURRENT GENERATION IS boring....

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 12-30-2012 at 01:30 PM.
Sponsored Links
Closed Thread