Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Archives > Central Illinois Wrestling

Old 03-05-2013

Help!!!

We are moving and the high school my son will attend does not have a wrestling program. What if any are our options my son is in the 4th grade and lives wrestling.
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

I wouldnt move there...Or you need to become very active in starting a club and trying to get the sport added in the building or possibly a coop agreement with a neighboring school that has wrestling....
Old 03-05-2013

What would be the best way to get wrestling started at the school. Should I contact the AD? How does a coop work..
Old 03-05-2013
Olympian

Your son is in the 4th grade and you are worried about HS wrestling?

If your son loves or lives wrestling. I would move to a town, city, close to where you are moving that has wrestling.

In our current economy and under funded school systems/districts. No school is going to add a sport right now. Unless the coach is free and all the equipment is donated. Which with a cost of a mat and equipment etc is about 7 to 10 grand. Even cooping you have to have a coach or school approved driver of the shuttle/bus to and from that school to practice. At least we used to when we did a Coop prior to consolidation.

Best advice, move to where you can wrestle for a club and a HS that has wrestling. Or plan on moving again in 3 or 4 years.

Or hope you have a AD that wrestled in the past and always wanted his school and kids to show interest in it. And you have some rich people in the community willing to help start a program.

Paxton did a few years ago. And there kids club is getting better every year. Not sure how they did it. Maybe I would get a hold of the Meyer family in Paxton.
Old 03-09-2013
Varsity

I started the high school program in my community 35 years ago. We were very fortunate to have a new A.D. who didn't like the fact that we were the only school in our conference without a wrestling program. We already had a mat for the P.E. department, so the start up cost was not that much. The first winter, we did an intramural program to see what kind of interest we had. We did it 3 days a week at 7:00 AM and ran it for about 6 weeks. At the end I had a little in house tournament and gave ribbons to the top 3 placers. We had about 35 kids show up each day in one of the worst winters in my memory (1978). The next year, I was hired as coach, a schedule of 10 duals and 1 tournament, plus our conference tourney was put together, and we were off to the races. Through creative scheduling, and recruiting the heck out of my freshman football team, we had a .500 season that first year, and had our first state qualifier the 2nd season. Four years later we won our first Regional Tournament and had our first State medalist. We gradually toughened up our schedule each year until we had a full 21 duals and 4 tournaments. By our 4th season, we had 100 kids come out, so I convinced the school to hire an assistant coach. We also added a 2nd mat during that first 4 years. It was another 10 years before we got a kids club off the ground, but once we did, it paid great dividends to our H.S. program.

We have 4 high schools in our county, but 3 of them are 250 students or less and don't have wrestling. Several folks whose kids have been in our kids club have been very disappointed to learn after 8th grade that they lived in one of the high school districts without wrestling. That left their options at A. moving a couple of miles to get in our district. B. pay tuition and sit out a year, or C. Go to the school in the district where they lived and give up wrestling. Unfortunately, our school does not seem interested in cooping. I'm not even sure it is allowed for a school of 1500 to coop.

If starting a kids club first would convince you school board that there is enough interest, that may be the way to go. There are a few schools in the south that just started high school programs, so it can be done. Carlyle, Olney, Sparta, Edwardsville Metro East Lutheran, Breese Mater Dei, and Alton Marquette all have programs that are 4 or less years old.
Sponsored Links