Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-25-2014
Wrestling Media

Can someone tell me why we 'Boo" our wrestlers

Just wondering why someone would "Boo" a you athlete trying to succeed in his sport? Especially if you are a grown adult.

Click the link, read and THEN respond.

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/sports/c...out-marsteller
Old 02-25-2014
Olympian

I don't there should be ANY booing in amateur sports.. that includes officials. To be honest the more I read the more I see all sports heading in the wrong direction.
Old 02-25-2014
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevereWrestler7 View Post
I don't get this either a quick example would be at State in the 145 semis Early vs Barone. It sounded like EVERYONE boo'd Early after the match and when the stalemate happened.
I think they were incorrectly booing the ref's call.
Old 02-25-2014
Spladle

we all boo some refs forsure but not the athletes.... theres always that one ref that is biased or that just isnt good in your own opinion..
Old 02-25-2014
Olympian

I think there are a lot of reasons. Some of the best wrestlers we have seen can be considered "dream wreckers" and those parents who have had their dreams wrecked look for any opportunity to boo. It is seldom other wrestlers, but usually parents or friends of wrestlers who have been humbled or humiliated by a better opponent. Other times those who boo are inflicting their sense of fairness on those they feel have exercised an "unfair advantage" be it hold backs or move ins or whatever as long as they feel they are justified. Others, and there are many, love to see the big underdog upset the superstar and if the superstar isn't able to perform perfectly or needs an injury time out or questions a call or has an equipment timeout in a close match they will let loose on him. Others view some elite wrestlers as "classless' or whiners when things don't go their way and that never goes over well.

The bottom line is that booing is due to people ridiculing other people's imperfections in an effort to make them feel better about their own shortcomings and lack of success. It empowers the loser to be heard and it's usually the only way anybody will listen to them. Remember, there are a lot more losers than winners and there is power in those numbers and a herd mentality that takes over. "Boo" is a short word that requires no explanation which makes it perfect for those challenged souls who can't express themselves in other ways.
Old 02-25-2014

As disappointing as some fans can be, it is equally amazing to watch an entire arena give 3 outstanding wrestlers with phenomenal high school careers standing ovations despite what color singlets they wear!
Old 02-25-2014
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
Just wondering why someone would "Boo" a you athlete trying to succeed in his sport? Especially if you are a grown adult.

This thread is right up "62 kilo's" alley. If anyone knows him tell him to jump on the site.
There is absolutely no reason to ever boo a kid. I know of a young individual that has been through, getting booed numerous times. I do not have a personal relationship with this individual, however, I am going off some reputable 2nd hand info. It is no secret that being treated like that, especially a young person, can have a severe negative impact on a person.

People talk about how some wrestlers are poor sports and don't act appropriately and that their parents are partially to blame. Well if that is true then those knuckle head adults that boo kids, most likely were not brought up right either. Or if they were they are completely ignorant.
Old 02-25-2014
Gestalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead217 View Post
we all boo some refs forsure but not the athletes.... theres always that one ref that is biased or that just isnt good in your own opinion..
Not true. Have you been to Assembly Hall before? Certain kids or teams will get Booed all the time.
Old 02-25-2014
Go for the pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post

I'm going to guess your post was inspired by the booing that occurred during the Early vs Barone match. I was there, I'm sure 99.9% were booing the refs call. Barone clearly wasn't given any time to break the hands free once he got to his feet. After getting more explanation of the rules the call doesn't seem as egregious but he should have been given more time to escape.

Regarding the article, I wasn't there but can't imagine booing a teenage wrestler, I could see booing the coach but not the wrestler. I might change my mind if he did something completely over the top like being unsportmanlike or intentionally trying to hurt someone.
Old 02-25-2014
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
I don't there should be ANY booing in amateur sports.. that includes officials. To be honest the more I read the more I see all sports heading in the wrong direction.
Don't see a problem booing officials if they make an obvious bad call, they take home a pretty nice chunk of change throughout the season.
Sponsored Links