Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-05-2018
Olympian

Think we have it bad....

Been visiting son down here in Arizona where my son took an assistant Varsity wrestling coach where he makes a few extra bucks and be in the room working with kids.

They have 4 classes down here.

His HS team has 7 Varsity wrestlers.

They have no Regionals but 4 Sectionals with 4 qualifiers per Sectional for a total of 16 state qualifiers.

13 teams in his Sectional. Numerous weights not all brackets complete of course.
113 had 5 wrestlers.

No visual clocks were present. Used Flip boards to show scores.

The consultation matches were 1-2-2 to go to state!

Refs were not good....

I would say maybe 4 of the wrestlers would of possibly made it out of Regionals and none to State in the ones my son participated in.

That being said those that won were excited and those that lost disappointed.

But as we question how many classes should there be, poor run tournaments, questionable partication numbers, bad refs, and so on just be glad you dont live in Arizona...
Old 02-06-2018
Varsity

another example

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
Been visiting son down here in Arizona where my son took an assistant Varsity wrestling coach where he makes a few extra bucks and be in the room working with kids.

They have 4 classes down here.

His HS team has 7 Varsity wrestlers.

They have no Regionals but 4 Sectionals with 4 qualifiers per Sectional for a total of 16 state qualifiers.

13 teams in his Sectional. Numerous weights not all brackets complete of course.
113 had 5 wrestlers.

No visual clocks were present. Used Flip boards to show scores.

The consultation matches were 1-2-2 to go to state!

Refs were not good....

I would say maybe 4 of the wrestlers would of possibly made it out of Regionals and none to State in the ones my son participated in.

That being said those that won were excited and those that lost disappointed.

But as we question how many classes should there be, poor run tournaments, questionable partication numbers, bad refs, and so on just be glad you dont live in Arizona...
we had a brother tandem in kids club about 10 years ago, average wrestlers, nothing special. Family moved to texas and they were state champion and runner up at their weights the next year
Old 02-06-2018
Varsity

People complain about us having 3 classes is watered down. Even good wrestling states like Iowa and Missouri have more classes, with a WAY lower population!
Old 02-07-2018
Junior Varsity

Truth

We had an average JV (.500 on JV and sub .250 on varsity) wrestler move to Arkansas after junior year...took 3rd in Arkansas state tournament.
Old 02-08-2018
Olympian

related I guess: Lars Ulrich best known as the drummer and co-founder of the band Metallica. The son of tennis player Torben Ulrich and grandson of tennis player Einer Ulrich. I heard an interview with him and he said he was a tennis Champion in Europe but did not even make the high school team when he went to California. (He continued to play though with private training) In some sports, the CA State tourney is harder than Nationals because Nationals are just based on who shows up. At State tourneys everyone in the state "shows up." - You never know though Cael Sanderson is from Utah...ps who would Win CA vs IL in wrestling - would it be close?