Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 06-30-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
My understanding is that Montini enrollment is actually 1A. They are multiplied up to 2A. They are then success factored up to 3A. Aurora Christian enrollment is 1A. Even after being multiplied they are still 1A. If they win it again they will be success factored up to 2A.

Gee...To bad Aurora Christian just doesn't petition the IHSA to go to 2A for this coming year in order to get more exposure for their program/wrestlers future(s) instead of waiting around in 1A for another year.
Old 06-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeally View Post
Gee...To bad Aurora Christian just doesn't petition the IHSA to go to 2A for this coming year in order to get more exposure for their program/wrestlers future(s) instead of waiting around in 1A for another year.
2A for exposure...stop.
Old 07-02-2018
Junior Varsity

When will the IHSA consider double elimination for team state?
Old 07-02-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by heywood View Post
When will the IHSA consider double elimination for team state?
Hopefully never.
Old 07-02-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
I agree.

However, adding double elimination is an extremely positive step for everyone involved.

There's hope...
Please explain to me how adding double elimination is a step in the right direction for a tournament that is already watered down?
Old 07-02-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog81 View Post
Hopefully never.
And hopefully they never monitor certification weigh-ins, especially among kin.
Old 07-02-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Please explain to me how adding double elimination is a step in the right direction for a tournament that is already watered down?
Very simple.... You have numerous examples in the 35 years since the dual meet format of crowning a state championship was introduced that the 2 best teams in the state meet in the first round. As you know, any team that loses in the first round doesn't place. Double elimination would provide teams that lose in the first round the opportunity to wrestle their way into the 3rd place match. Of course seeding the tournament would also be an improvement over the current format.
Old 07-03-2018
Olympian

Quote:
If you read the flow of the thread where my comment was originally made, you'll see it was made in support of double elimination for the individual tournament not the dual team tournament.

I don't believe we'll ever see it applied to dual team state nor am I sure we should.

We're lucky to have two state championship tournaments as it is. The only sport the IHSA affords that luxury.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 07-03-2018
Olympian

Since the boards are slow...................
Couldn't one argue that golf and track also get 2 State tournaments. An individual and a team. Track has the relay "team" along with all of the individual events. In golf as previously stated you can qualify as an individual or as a "team". Now I realize the numbers on the "teams" are smaller but I believe the argument could be made. The big difference of course is that they run their events simultaneously.
Old 07-03-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
Since the boards are slow...................
Couldn't one argue that golf and track also get 2 State tournaments. An individual and a team. Track has the relay "team" along with all of the individual events. In golf as previously stated you can qualify as an individual or as a "team". Now I realize the numbers on the "teams" are smaller but I believe the argument could be made. The big difference of course is that they run their events simultaneously.
Track is still an individual sport with team scoring at the individual state. The relays score the same as the other individual events. Just like in wrestling, you could get a stud that wins 3 or 4 events and get a trophy. Plainfield North was a great example this year. They have a stud sprinter (Marcellus Moore) that won 2 events on his own and also helped 2 relays win. Granted it took 3 other guys in the relay, but without the stud, they probably aren't winning 4 events to get 3rd place.

There has been talk of having a true team event where the best teams can run all of their events to show the true depth of a team, not just who has the best few events.
Sponsored Links