Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 12-30-2018
Varsity

Novice

1000 wrestlers at Naperville today and only 2 Novice over 153 pounds. Forget cutting, time to beef up. There’s going to be a lot of medals available.
Old 12-30-2018
Junior Varsity

For the first time ever there is going to be round robins at Rockford.
Old 12-30-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegAttack View Post
For the first time ever there is going to be round robins at Rockford.
I see a restructure of weight classes coming. Maybe have a meeting at Kids open and start the restructuring of weights for novice. Thank you for the tip!
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

Oversight!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
1000 wrestlers at Naperville today and only 2 Novice over 153 pounds. Forget cutting, time to beef up. There’s going to be a lot of medals available.
The IKWF board was so enamored by beefing up the senior numbers they failed to realize what their product would look like at novice level above 122lbs.

Good luck filling those Novice state brackets at 122/130/138/156/177/215 with a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's. Let alone having it look and feel competitive.
Old 12-31-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepthreat View Post
The IKWF board was so enamored by beefing up the senior numbers they failed to realize what their product would look like at novice level above 122lbs.

Good luck filling those Novice state brackets at 122/130/138/156/177/215 with a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's. Let alone having it look and feel competitive.
And for the SAKE OF HUMANITY, please make sure you exclude any 11 or 12 year olds who may have repeated 5th grade!

Just look at the advantage they receive. They are the exact same age as the other kids they're wrestling against BUT they are a grade lower in school! How could people be expected to compete against THAT?!?

Unless, of course, they were held back before entering kindergarten, then everything is okay. Whew.

So lucky we have all the diligent folks we do here on Illinoismatmen to safeguard humanity the way they do.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Novice is going to be a total cluster f#%} this year.
Plain and simple.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepthreat View Post

You are 100% correct. My son was a Novice as a 5th & 6th grader. And now as a 7th grade Senior long gone through puberty, he's running into 6th graders that clearly haven't. It's stupid.

Just do straight grades. k-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. So dumb.
Old 12-31-2018
Varsity

I dont like grade based tournaments. Would rather be usaw ages and weights. Novice state will be tons of round robins, even if you let 9 year olds bump up, which Id like lol. But weights need to be addressed. You had 9 year olds last yr around 50lb, some less that had to gain 12lbs for lowest weight at novice this year. If IK doesnt change ages back, imo they need to address the weights to match the ages of kids. For seniors, there were plenty of kids last year between 60-65, some less. They had to gain 10lb or more for senior 74 this year.

My kids arent old enough for state but planned on bringing them to see it. Lincoln wont care but dawson im guessing will be inspired. I dont want to take them to see a bunch of round robins. They seen plenty of those.

Id rather see more 5&6 man round robins during season rather than 8 man block. Glad future finalists is doing that. Dont want to see it in rockford though unless my kids in it of course lol.

Last edited by 2on1; 12-31-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on1 View Post
I dont like grade based tournaments. Would rather be usaw ages and weights. Novice state will be tons of round robins, even if you let 9 year olds bump up, which Id like lol. But weights need to be addressed. You had 9 year olds last yr around 50lb, some less that had to gain 12lbs for lowest weight at novice this year. If IK doesnt change ages back, imo they need to address the weights to match the ages of kids. For seniors, there were plenty of kids last year between 60-65, some less. They had to gain 10lb or more for senior 74 this year.

My kids arent old enough for state but planned on bringing them to see it. Lincoln wont care but dawson im guessing will be inspired. I dont want to take them to see a bunch of round robins. They seen plenty of those.

Id rather see more 5&6 man round robins during season rather than 8 man block. Glad future finalists is doing that. Dont want to see it in rockford though unless my kids in it of course lol.
When your kids are older you'll understand why the current format is stupid.
Old 12-31-2018
Junior Varsity

8u, 10u, 12u 14u.
01/01/#### cutoff

Pretty simple.

Gonna be some great round robins this year!
Sponsored Links