Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-30-2018
Junior Junior is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 215
Novice

1000 wrestlers at Naperville today and only 2 Novice over 153 pounds. Forget cutting, time to beef up. There’s going to be a lot of medals available.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-30-2018
LegAttack LegAttack is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 98
For the first time ever there is going to be round robins at Rockford.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-30-2018
Kimby Kimby is offline
Newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: essex
Posts: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegAttack View Post
For the first time ever there is going to be round robins at Rockford.
I see a restructure of weight classes coming. Maybe have a meeting at Kids open and start the restructuring of weights for novice. Thank you for the tip!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-31-2018
Deepthreat Deepthreat is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 214
Oversight!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
1000 wrestlers at Naperville today and only 2 Novice over 153 pounds. Forget cutting, time to beef up. There’s going to be a lot of medals available.
The IKWF board was so enamored by beefing up the senior numbers they failed to realize what their product would look like at novice level above 122lbs.

Good luck filling those Novice state brackets at 122/130/138/156/177/215 with a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's. Let alone having it look and feel competitive.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-31-2018
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepthreat View Post
The IKWF board was so enamored by beefing up the senior numbers they failed to realize what their product would look like at novice level above 122lbs.

Good luck filling those Novice state brackets at 122/130/138/156/177/215 with a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's. Let alone having it look and feel competitive.
And for the SAKE OF HUMANITY, please make sure you exclude any 11 or 12 year olds who may have repeated 5th grade!

Just look at the advantage they receive. They are the exact same age as the other kids they're wrestling against BUT they are a grade lower in school! How could people be expected to compete against THAT?!?

Unless, of course, they were held back before entering kindergarten, then everything is okay. Whew.

So lucky we have all the diligent folks we do here on Illinoismatmen to safeguard humanity the way they do.
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-31-2018
ToughestSportEver ToughestSportEver is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Posts: 72
Novice is going to be a total cluster f#%} this year.
Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-31-2018
Grapple20 Grapple20 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepthreat View Post
The IKWF board was so enamored by beefing up the senior numbers they failed to realize what their product would look like at novice level above 122lbs.

Good luck filling those Novice state brackets at 122/130/138/156/177/215 with a bunch of 11 and 12 year old's. Let alone having it look and feel competitive.
You are 100% correct. My son was a Novice as a 5th & 6th grader. And now as a 7th grade Senior long gone through puberty, he's running into 6th graders that clearly haven't. It's stupid.

Just do straight grades. k-2, 3-4, 5-6 and 7-8. So dumb.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 12-31-2018
2on1 2on1 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Posts: 236
I dont like grade based tournaments. Would rather be usaw ages and weights. Novice state will be tons of round robins, even if you let 9 year olds bump up, which Id like lol. But weights need to be addressed. You had 9 year olds last yr around 50lb, some less that had to gain 12lbs for lowest weight at novice this year. If IK doesnt change ages back, imo they need to address the weights to match the ages of kids. For seniors, there were plenty of kids last year between 60-65, some less. They had to gain 10lb or more for senior 74 this year.

My kids arent old enough for state but planned on bringing them to see it. Lincoln wont care but dawson im guessing will be inspired. I dont want to take them to see a bunch of round robins. They seen plenty of those.

Id rather see more 5&6 man round robins during season rather than 8 man block. Glad future finalists is doing that. Dont want to see it in rockford though unless my kids in it of course lol.

Last edited by 2on1; 12-31-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-31-2018
Grapple20 Grapple20 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2on1 View Post
I dont like grade based tournaments. Would rather be usaw ages and weights. Novice state will be tons of round robins, even if you let 9 year olds bump up, which Id like lol. But weights need to be addressed. You had 9 year olds last yr around 50lb, some less that had to gain 12lbs for lowest weight at novice this year. If IK doesnt change ages back, imo they need to address the weights to match the ages of kids. For seniors, there were plenty of kids last year between 60-65, some less. They had to gain 10lb or more for senior 74 this year.

My kids arent old enough for state but planned on bringing them to see it. Lincoln wont care but dawson im guessing will be inspired. I dont want to take them to see a bunch of round robins. They seen plenty of those.

Id rather see more 5&6 man round robins during season rather than 8 man block. Glad future finalists is doing that. Dont want to see it in rockford though unless my kids in it of course lol.
When your kids are older you'll understand why the current format is stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-31-2018
oldfat145 oldfat145 is offline
Junior Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 65
8u, 10u, 12u 14u.
01/01/#### cutoff

Pretty simple.

Gonna be some great round robins this year!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.