Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 01-18-2019
Varsity

What is stalling?

Does anyone know exactly what the rules are for stalling on the feet? I keep seeing guys walk out of bounds backwards without the other guy taking a shot and the refs do not call stalling. I thought that was addressed in the officials clinics this year and added as a rule. Early in the year refs would call it once but never call it the second time to give the point. Now they are not calling it at all. I thought it was a point of emphasis this year. Am I the only one who is noticing no one is calling stalling or do you guys think it is being called correctly and I am being over zealous?
Old 01-18-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
Does anyone know exactly what the rules are for stalling on the feet? I keep seeing guys walk out of bounds backwards without the other guy taking a shot and the refs do not call stalling. I thought that was addressed in the officials clinics this year and added as a rule. Early in the year refs would call it once but never call it the second time to give the point. Now they are not calling it at all. I thought it was a point of emphasis this year. Am I the only one who is noticing no one is calling stalling or do you guys think it is being called correctly and I am being over zealous?
Stupidest and most misused rule in all of sports.

It's at the point where the rule is primarily there to get those in the stands who believe themselves to be amongst wrestling's intelligentsia to be more vocal.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 01-18-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Stupidest and most misused rule in all of sports.

It's at the point where the rule is primarily there to get those in the stands who believe themselves to be amongst wrestling's intelligentsia to be more vocal.
I would not call it stupid. It is unfortunate, but if stalling is not spelled out as to exactly what it is, a lot of refs will not call it. I also would not call it misused, I would probably call it unused.
Either way, it would be nice to either throw the rule out next year or clarify it or do something, because it certainly has not been consistently used this year.
Old 01-18-2019
Olympian

Quote:
I would not call it stupid. It is unfortunate, but if stalling is not spelled out as to exactly what it is, a lot of refs will not call it. I also would not call it misused, I would probably call it unused.
Either way, it would be nice to either throw the rule out next year or clarify it or do something, because it certainly has not been consistently used this year.
I saw a ref last weekend who would've called stalling on a dead cat in the middle of the road.

And the same ref let a kid get ridden an entire period while never making any move to get out from bottom and while trying to stave off a major decision against him.

Calling stalling on bottom when they're down by 10 points and top has two boots in and is cranking a half is indeed stupid.

Just calling it stupid is like calling a gun shot wound a boo boo.

The only valid exception is in a dual situation where you may be guarding against surrendering additional team points. And then nothing.

Stalling is a stupid rule simply because of how poorly it's defined. And for how much room for interpretation it allows.

If you want to split a hair over whether "certainly has not been consistently used" is not misuse, okey doke.

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 01-18-2019
Varsity

We are seeing it called pretty regularly. The problem that I have is refs used to warn kids for tying up and driving their opponent backwards and out of bounds. With this new rule, it seems that is no longer considered stalling. Almost turns it into the freestyle push out. I don't believe we should be rewarding kids for getting in an ear to ear and driving their opponent out over and over again.
Old 01-18-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickEm View Post
We are seeing it called pretty regularly. The problem that I have is refs used to warn kids for tying up and driving their opponent backwards and out of bounds. With this new rule, it seems that is no longer considered stalling. Almost turns it into the freestyle push out. I don't believe we should be rewarding kids for getting in an ear to ear and driving their opponent out over and over again.
I've seen the kid doing the pushing get called for stalling nowadays.

Old 01-18-2019
Varsity

Quote:
If your going to throw out rules

Throw out the rule if bottom wrestler stands up with legs in its staling
Old 01-18-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugar foot View Post
If your going to throw out rules

Throw out the rule if bottom wrestler stands up with legs in its staling
Haven't you noticed that call has somewhat gone away? Almost always gets called potentially dangerous and that's it.

Either way, another inconsistent application.

Old 01-18-2019
Olympian

Seems to be more of an Illinois issue

The Muddy Waters Duals held at Augustana last month used Iowa refs (I assume because technically Davenport North HS was the host). They had no problem issuing stall warnings/points on both the pusher and the pushee, depending on the situation.

The event featured 6 Illinois schools facing 6 Iowa schools in a series of 5 duals for each squad. The Illinois kids seemed a little shocked by it early, though they quickly adjusted.

Haven't seen it called nearly as tightly with Illinois based refs.
Old 01-18-2019
Varsity

We wrestled in Granite City and the Missouri refs would not call stalling if the kid had a neon sign saying he was stalling. Illinois refs are getting pretty timid about it lately, it seems. It sounds like it is at best not called uniformly, so I guess there is hope.
Sponsored Links