Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

The ILLINI versus Iowa Preview and Good Time Show!

This dual will start at ILLINOIS (0) and Iowa (-1). Poor sportsmanship has a seat on every Iowa bus. If scoring had anything whatsoever to do with bad haircuts, bad hygiene or bad tempers, it would start out Iowa (-50). But before I get too wound up on this here soapbox, let's look at the Hawkeyes' last time out:

#4 IOWA 30, #20 Rutgers 6

125 -- #2 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned Nick Denora (R), 0:38; 6-0
133 -- #10 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #3 Nick Suriano (R) 6-4; 8-0*
141 -- #15 Max Murin (IA) dec. Peter Lipari (R), 8-4; 11-0
149 -- #2 Anthony Ashnault (R) dec. 10 Pat Lugo (IA), 3-1; 11-3
157 -- #5 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. #14 John Van Brill (R)
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned Anthony Oliveri (R), 2:17; 20-3
174 -- Joseph Grello (R) dec. Mitch Bowman (IA), 7-3; 20-6
184 -- #14 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Willie Scott (R), 6-1; 23-6
197 -- #6 Jacob Warner (IA) dec. Matthew Correnti (R), 6-0; 26-6
285 -- #3 Sam Stoll (IA) major dec. Christian Colucci (R), 10-0; 30-6

I'm predicting that the ILLINI match up a lot better than Rutgers did, and it helps that the meet will take place in Huff Hall, far enough away from Iowa City.

WHAT: ILLINI/Iowa Dual
WHERE: HUFF HALL, Champaign-Urbana, ILLINOIS
WHEN: Friday, 1/25/19 at 8:00 pm (Central)
TV: BTN

125. Travis Piotrowski vs. Spencer Lee

The second go-around has been a little tougher for Spencer Lee, probably due to an injury or two. Will the same be true when he faces off with Pio? For example, in his first match with Sean Russell, Lee earned a 15-0 tech fall. In his second (and very recent) match with the same feller, it was a 4-0 decision. Lee won his first two matches against Sebastian Rivera by a combined score of 19-4. We all know what happened in the last match. Against Patrick Glory, Lee won the initial match by tech fall in under four minutes. The second match was again a Lee win, but it was a regular decision, 12-6.

Injury or scouting?

Pio lost by tech fall after the full seven minutes by a 17-2 count, but this was back in the winter of 2017. Dare we hope for improvement here? Pio is 7-15 against common opponents, while Lee is 19-1. Keep this to a regular decision, and I will convert to all religions at once. Merry Ramakippur to you, my friend! Pio is 9-6 on the year; Lee is 11-1. Wrestlestat.com is predicting a tech fall, but apparently hasn't factored in injuries or scouting.

133. Dylan Duncan vs. Austin DeSanto.

The last and only time these two met, DeSanto got the benefit of a BS DQ. Including Stoll, a full one-fifth of the Hawkeye roster love to push forward for seemingly hours at a time without risking a move. DeSanto is coming off one of his bigger wins, but Duncan can beat him. The second- and third-period Duncan who wrestled Lizak can win, that is. The first-period Duncan will likely lose.

Wrestlestat.com predicts a 12-6 win for the Hawk, and against common opponents, Duncan would be an underdog having gone 2-7 versus 7-4 for DeSanto. If Dylan lets it fly, though, this could very well be the ILLINI highlight of the dual. Could another ILLINOIS guy use his Greco experience to advantage over DeSanto? Here's your Ball Park Franks® underdog upset special of the match!

141. Michael Carr vs. Max Murin.

This will be a big revenge match for Carr. Michael had a couple of down matches at Midlands last year, and Murin capitalized for a 3-2 victory. Of course, there was no rematch at Midlands this season because Carr was out of the lineup. Coming off of two massive Top Ten wins over Kanen Storr and Mitch McKee (who beat Murin 5-3 a week ago), Carr looks for revenge here.

Murin has losses this year to McKee, Josh Alber of Northern Iowa and Ian Parker of Iowa State, all great wrestlers, but none as good as Michael Carr.

To be continued....
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post

This dual will start at ILLINOIS (0) and Iowa (-1). Poor sportsmanship has a seat on every Iowa bus. If scoring had anything whatsoever to do with bad haircuts, bad hygiene or bad tempers, it would start out Iowa (-50). But before I get too wound up on this here soapbox, let's look at the Hawkeyes' last time out:

#4 IOWA 30, #20 Rutgers 6

125 -- #2 Spencer Lee (IA) pinned Nick Denora (R), 0:38; 6-0
133 -- #10 Austin DeSanto (IA) dec. #3 Nick Suriano (R) 6-4; 8-0*
141 -- #15 Max Murin (IA) dec. Peter Lipari (R), 8-4; 11-0
149 -- #2 Anthony Ashnault (R) dec. 10 Pat Lugo (IA), 3-1; 11-3
157 -- #5 Kaleb Young (IA) dec. #14 John Van Brill (R)
165 -- #2 Alex Marinelli (IA) pinned Anthony Oliveri (R), 2:17; 20-3
174 -- Joseph Grello (R) dec. Mitch Bowman (IA), 7-3; 20-6
184 -- #14 Cash Wilcke (IA) dec. Willie Scott (R), 6-1; 23-6
197 -- #6 Jacob Warner (IA) dec. Matthew Correnti (R), 6-0; 26-6
285 -- #3 Sam Stoll (IA) major dec. Christian Colucci (R), 10-0; 30-6

I'm predicting that the ILLINI match up a lot better than Rutgers did, and it helps that the meet will take place in Huff Hall, far enough away from Iowa City.

WHAT: ILLINI/Iowa Dual
WHERE: HUFF HALL, Champaign-Urbana, ILLINOIS
WHEN: Friday, 1/25/19 at 8:00 pm (Central)
TV: BTN

125. Travis Piotrowski vs. Spencer Lee

The second go-around has been a little tougher for Spencer Lee, probably due to an injury or two. Will the same be true when he faces off with Pio? For example, in his first match with Sean Russell, Lee earned a 15-0 tech fall. In his second (and very recent) match with the same feller, it was a 4-0 decision. Lee won his first two matches against Sebastian Rivera by a combined score of 19-4. We all know what happened in the last match. Against Patrick Glory, Lee won the initial match by tech fall in under four minutes. The second match was again a Lee win, but it was a regular decision, 12-6.

Injury or scouting?

Pio lost by tech fall after the full seven minutes by a 17-2 count, but this was back in the winter of 2017. Dare we hope for improvement here? Pio is 7-15 against common opponents, while Lee is 19-1. Keep this to a regular decision, and I will convert to all religions at once. Merry Ramakippur to you, my friend! Pio is 9-6 on the year; Lee is 11-1. Wrestlestat.com is predicting a tech fall, but apparently hasn't factored in injuries or scouting.

133. Dylan Duncan vs. Austin DeSanto.

The last and only time these two met, DeSanto got the benefit of a BS DQ. Including Stoll, a full one-fifth of the Hawkeye roster love to push forward for seemingly hours at a time without risking a move. DeSanto is coming off one of his bigger wins, but Duncan can beat him. The second- and third-period Duncan who wrestled Lizak can win, that is. The first-period Duncan will likely lose.

Wrestlestat.com predicts a 12-6 win for the Hawk, and against common opponents, Duncan would be an underdog having gone 2-7 versus 7-4 for DeSanto. If Dylan lets it fly, though, this could very well be the ILLINI highlight of the dual. Could another ILLINOIS guy use his Greco experience to advantage over DeSanto? Here's your Ball Park Franks® underdog upset special of the match!

141. Michael Carr vs. Max Murin.

This will be a big revenge match for Carr. Michael had a couple of down matches at Midlands last year, and Murin capitalized for a 3-2 victory. Of course, there was no rematch at Midlands this season because Carr was out of the lineup. Coming off of two massive Top Ten wins over Kanen Storr and Mitch McKee (who beat Murin 5-3 a week ago), Carr looks for revenge here.

Murin has losses this year to McKee, Josh Alber of Northern Iowa and Ian Parker of Iowa State, all great wrestlers, but none as good as Michael Carr.

To be continued....
Chief,

No matter how you look at it, we are going to get curb stomped. The only likely wins will be 141 and 184, with a possible one at 174. I see several matches where Iowa get bonus points.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

149. Christian Kanzler vs. Patricio Lugo.

If you ask Wrestlestat.com about this matchup, you'll get nothing in response because it is a program. On a computer. What were you thinking? However, if you input the data just right the program on the computer will provide data that will indicate that Lugo should win by a major decision, 16-3. Kanzler is 0-2 against common opposition, while Lugo is 2-0. It kind of sucks because Lugo got to wrestle Minnesota's bad Thorn, and Kanzler had to wrestle the Gopher's good Thorn.

I was finally able to watch the replay of the ILLINI-Minnesota dual, and that was good Thorn out there. Lugo's 8-6 record is a little deceiving, as his worst loss is to a pretty good Russell Rohlfing of CSU Bakersfield. Since dropping three matches in a row early in the season, Lugo has been a more respectable 7-3. According to every Hawk fan in the world, the key to beating Lugo is slowing his initial takedown by reaching over and grabbing an ankle. (Pssst! Don't tell Lugo that good wrestlers flatten their feet so there's no ankle to grab!). Kanzler seems to be a good guy, so I hope he can keep this to a regular decision.

157. Eric Barone vs. Kaleb Young.

In order to form a more perfect union between reality and awesome, awesome zaniness, we need Barone to pin Young. Then, the Young, Bleise, Barone triangular results will provide the key that will unlock the door to the next stage of human evolution. I have seen this in goat entrails. Believe me.

Seriously, nothing would be more perfect than a Barone pin, so I'm calling it! Wrestlestat.com, instead, sees this as a more mundane 8-4 win for Young. That seems pretty ordinary and much less Apocryphal. Young is 1-1 against common opponents (because of that wild throw of Bleise), while Barone is 0-5, but that involves two matches with Ryan Deakin and three with Bleise.

Young has the pretty #5 Intermat ranking, but Barone is not far behind at #13. Young likes to score lots of points in his matches; Barone likes to stop people from scoring points in his matches. It should be a good one, and if an upset is brewing in C-town, this will be a big reason.

165. Joey "Guns" Gunther vs. Alex Marinelli.

Old teammates, and more importantly, practice partners, get together in this one, as Guns faces the new face of Hawkeye wrestling (Sorry Spencer Lee, but you had your shot!). The person with the best scouting report in the world against Marinelli will wrestle him on Friday. Unfortunately, the reverse is also true. Guns is 5-7 against common opposition, while Marinelli is 14-2.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

174. Carver James vs. Mitch Bowman.

Wrestlestat.com, which hates ILLINOIS, has Bowman winning this match even though he's sucked out like a The Biggest Loser contestant. They are both 0-4 against common opposition. LUUUUU-JAAAAAAN! The most recent comparison is the Devin Skatzka match they both had. Skatzka barely beat Bowman, and had an easier time with James.

I think Skatzka ran into a wall during the Bowman match, so I don't know if that is a good comparison. They also had a common opponent last month, and on the same day. Carver James lost to #40 Andrew Morgan 2-3, while later that day, Bowman lost to the same guy 7-10. In other words, this should be a pretty good match even though Carver is a puffed up 165, while Bowman is a sucked out 184.

Moreover, if the ILLINI want the winner to come down to the last match like the previous year, they'll need a win here from Carver.

184. Emery Parker vs. Cash Wilcke.

This is only a two-point match according to Wrestlestat.com. Emery has a better track record against common opposition, going 12-1 against the same guys who Wilcke went 8-3 against. I've heard it through the grapevine that Iowa fans are complaining about Cash not getting on his offense.

Please, Cash. Get on your offense.

There are few sights more splendid to behold than a driven Emery Parker. There is nothing as motivational as being behind when you were the guy who won 80-some matches in a row in the loser's bracket at the NCAAs to claim third.

197. Andre Lee vs. Jacob Warner.

Has Warner shaken off the injuries and the cobwebs? Can Andre put an exclamation point on an already much improved season? I think they should either (a) put Brian Medlin on speakerphone through the P.A. system, or (b) use a Medlin hologram to psych out Warner. Of course, he wouldn't do that … or would he? Nah, he wouldn't.

This is the match that the ILLINI must have to have any hope of the upset. This, and a Barone win. This might also be an interesting match if Matt Wroblewski were to get the start. He has lost three to Warner, but this is a low point for the Hawkeye, and each of those losses got consecutively closer.

285. Deuce Rachal vs. Sam Stoll.

We know that Stoll can't dodge a bullet. Can he dodge a second throw attempt from the Deuce? This would be the most epic throw in wrestling history (besides the German throwing Chris Taylor in the Olympics). Can the Deuce go on the Loose here? All he needed was a wee more torque the last time, and every ILLINI wrestling fan in the world would have crashed the internet. A reminder:

(I tricked you and went with the Hawkeye buttscratcher pic.). GO ILLINI!!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

SPECIAL PROMOTIONS:

(1) Tuff 'N Huff - Fraternity Arm Wrestling Tournament
(2) Commemorative Tuff 'N Huff T-shirt.

You get it? When you say "Tuff 'N Huff," it sounds like "Tough Enough." So, if you get that t-shirt and wear it, you are saying to the world that no matter how harrowing the situation or how difficult the task, you are tough enough.

Smart to get the fraternity guys out there as well. Besides finding out where the good party is after the dual, a lot of those fellers probably wrestled in high school. They should be fans.

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Junior Varsity

I'm an Illini wrestling fan through and through but at some point reality must prevail. You can say what you want about the Brand's Bros but they have assembled a tough line up of studs. I think dadudaman took the PC road when he said Illinois would get curbstomped. I will take it a step further and say that at "most" weight classes we as Illini fans might as well call the Champaign County morgue and schedule some appointments.

I hope the orange and blue boys prove me wrong and I plan on being in attendance to cheer them on regardless of the outcome.

Junkman
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

I will bet either of you that the ILLINI are within six points, either ahead or behind Stupid Iowa, at the end of the dual. Loser pays $50 to the IRTC and posts the receipt in this thread, personal information redacted.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Love it

ChiefIllini is probably one of the most positive and entertaining posters I read. I am a 'lurker' but love the site, even with all of the drama. Way to put up or shut up Chief. Loyalty (blind or otherwise) is something to be proud of.
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefIllini1 View Post
I will bet either of you that the ILLINI are within six points, either ahead or behind Stupid Iowa, at the end of the dual. Loser pays $50 to the IRTC and posts the receipt in this thread, personal information redacted.

GO ILLINI!!!
Chief,

I'll take that bet, and let's make it for $100 to the IRTC, which matches what I already gave them earlier. Are you game?
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadudaman4 View Post
Chief,

I'll take that bet, and let's make it for $100 to the IRTC, which matches what I already gave them earlier. Are you game?
Nope. But since you agreed to over $50 that means you agree to $50. I'm not rich like some people, and I don't bet against the ILLINI like others.

GO ILLINI!!!
Sponsored Links