Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 11-28-2006

I just wanted to write and tell Illinois why we come to the Dvorak. I cut my coaching teeth in Illinois. In 1999 I moved from Wheaton to Vista, CA and shortly after I took over a horrifying program. 8 kids in it total. I modeled everything after what I learned by watching great coaches in Illinois. My staff is made up of Coach Pitts (Illinois native, coached at Wheeling) and another coach from Jersey. We all coach very physical style of wrestling.

Our program works hard, but our goal is to be the top in our state. That is one division with over 800 schools, No dual meet. We have wrestled in Reno, we have wrestled at 5-Counties (80+ Teams) but we needed to take what we show and have our kids get it. So coach Pitts and I hatched this plan to go to the Dvorak. It is a great experience for our guys. In almost 80% of our losses we were winning until the final minute, but your guys wrestle hard for 6. Our kids got it. They left there with a different style (or the one we have shoved down throat, but now the understood). We spend a lot of time in Illinois. We bring our team there in the summer for a week and stay with Coach Powell at OPRF.

In short we come to you to get better. Over time this has worked and is working now. We do not boast or get scared easily. I would much rather come wrestle 30 teams from Illinois and Iowa than 90 teams from around the country. With 800 schools we can not plan for every contingent, what we can do is wrestle physical and tough for 6. You guys do that. We respect that. We come to learn and get better. Plus everyone was great to us last year.

As long as we are invited we will return unless dates make it too tough (we were lucky this year to have Thursday and Friday off).

We have enjoyed the exchange with OPRF and offer that to anyone interested in a summer trip out our way.

Humbly,
"Do What You Can
With What You Have
Where You Are!"--F.D.R.

Last edited by Vista Coach Davis; 11-29-2006 at 09:43 AM.
Old 11-29-2006
Olympian

Coach Davis, Well Said. Good Luck. The Yorkville Foxes are in Dvorak for the first time ever. Recently, Yorkville was small school, class A in Illinois, and I think Yorkville's Coach Shane Darnell and you have one thing in common. You want your wrestlers to get the best competition possible, regardless of the near term outcome. You express yourself well. Looking forward to watching your guys wrestle.
Old 11-29-2006

Very good post! I think it is nice for us to wrestle kids from other states also
Old 11-29-2006
Junior Varsity

Class Act

Sounds like coach Davis is a class act and sees what wrestling is all about.
Old 11-29-2006
Varsity

How do you afford all of these trips?
Old 11-29-2006
Wrestling Media

Coach Davis, I was wondering how your kids responded once they got back to Cali.? Did they convert to a more physical style and if they did how did the competition react?
Old 11-29-2006
Super Moderator

Twist, maybe you can answer this question. Pennsylvania is known for their physical style of wrestling. How does Illinois compare in that category with PA? I have seen plenty of Pennsylvania in the freestyle and Greco arena, but not so much in folkstyle.
Old 11-29-2006
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
Twist, maybe you can answer this question. Pennsylvania is known for their physical style of wrestling. How does Illinois compare in that category with PA? I have seen plenty of Pennsylvania in the freestyle and Greco arena, but not so much in folkstyle.
I notice that our wrestlers struggle with Pa. as a whole. I think it is that basic style that they do. Most of the Pa. wrestlers I see are solid. No flash and dance there. I remember one told me two years ago they don't do headlocks, that it is not considered a good move. IIndividually we win matches here and there. My son beat a Pa. State Champion at Senior Nationals and it was a big deal. That state is very deep. But at the same time Illinois gets it's share of wins against any state.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 11-29-2006 at 12:11 PM.
Old 11-29-2006
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSS MAN View Post
If Montini Catholic tied for 10th place last year, why do you think that Sandburg would place that much higher and be in the top three. I don't think that Sandburg would have placed that high. Wasn't Sandburg at the DVorak the last two years that Montini won it? I am not sure why you think that they would do so much better. Yes, they are a great team, but so is Glebard North and Montini. I am excited to see how these two Illinois teams do this year. I think Glenbard North could place top 5, and that is being realistic.
Uh, you are incorrect on many counts. Montini showed up without a full line-up and still placed 10th. Montini finished BEHIND Carl Sanburg (AT full strength) in the Dvorak the last two years. Montini didn't make it to the Elite-8 last year because they lost to GBN in the Team Sectionals. GBN got clobbered by Carl Sandburg 1st round in DeKalb last year. No, last year Sandburg would have finished top 3 at the Ironman, definitely. GBN in the better team this year (here in IL).

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 11-30-2006
Varsity

Hawk Fan, I have a question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk Fan View Post
Iowa City West (class 3A for those that thought 2A was the only "tough" Iowa class) will be real tough to handle as a team. The have a solid line up from top to bottom with some of their home grown and several transfers. Look for top competition from Moore X2, Lower, Gambrall, St. John with another 6 werstlers competive enough to take medals. I hope we can send them home with anything but 1st. Good luck, and beat West.
I think it is great that out of state teams are comeing to our toughest tournament. I wanted to check out this Iowa team so I went to their website. They do indeed sound very good. However, there schedule (which was updated 11/29) says they are going to be at a "Machesney Park" tournament on Dec. 22-23. How reliable is your information? I hope you are right and there schedule is wrong.

Mike

PS (post-screwup)

That is good news accept that I feel pretty silly now!

Last edited by MikeII; 11-30-2006 at 09:25 AM. Reason: I scewed up.
Sponsored Links