Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Archives > Central Illinois Wrestling

Old 11-04-2009
Varsity

CS8

1. Who will win the CS8?

2. Who are the top returners?

I know Glenwood returns their 103 112 119 125 130 140 145 171 and HWT all from a year ago and all had a winning record. If they can get that standout from the 145-160 range they could be very good this year and make a serious run at dual team state.

My vote:
1. Glenwood: Good core group returning, great new offseason academy and weight program.
2. Jacksonville: A lot of solid returners up and down the line-up. I think they only graduated 2-3 kids from a solid squad last year
3. Lincoln: two state medalist returning. They also have a solid 125lber from last year.
4. Springfield: CS8 and regional champs from last year. Have a few returners...Vong (171) the most notable
5. Lanphier: few solid returners
6. Taylorville:
7. Southeast:
8. SHG: good hwt from last year returning

The bottom half to me is a toss up and may be determined by who will fill their line-up.

Last edited by Elixor; 11-04-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 11-04-2009
Varsity

Springfield

Springfield High School should have Noah Murray returning.
Old 11-04-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffinman1030 View Post
Springfield High School should have Noah Murray returning.
SHS lost 3 solid wrestlers (2 SQ's) but return 2 (SQ's) and 2 alternates. I don't know if it will be enough to take out Chatham this year. Chatham's shedule is tougher and that tends to add a lot of experience and confidence when they wrestle the CS8 squads. Lincoln may have the most individual talent but have weaknesses in their line-up. With that being said, I just want the season to start. There are going to be some great matches this year.

Can anyone elaborate on the CS8 wrestlers that put in some extra work that may be sleepers this year?
Old 11-05-2009
Varsity

After further research the CS8 breaks down into this, hopefully this will offer some insight.

Glenwood: Again a great core group of wrestlers. They have a solid move in at 112 from Bartonville that will help boost an already tough lightweight group. The thing that makes them solid is that all of the wrestlers they lost from last year can be replaced with everyone going up a weight class (which is more then likely to happen anyway from one year to the next) Except for sectional champion Cunningham (189) from last year the Titans should have their strongest team this decade IMO. Coaching has been boosted along with the offseason work put in has all been taken to another level. There is a great buzz going on around the program this year. They also have the addition of some IESA state qualifiers, with the most notable being Sam Butler who took third place at the IESA state tournament last year....only losing to a 2x state champ in the semis as his only loss of the entire season. His brother Alex Butler is returning from a sectional 4th place finish as well and if he sells out this year he can be a state placer. Glenwood also gets IESA 5th place finisher Nic Courtney at the 160 or 171lb spot. IESA Heavyweight state qualifier Grant Lee also joins the team as a freshman. Ascension Wrestling Academy is based out of the Glenwood program and has done tremendous things for the area that a lot of wrestlers can atest to.

Notables In Depth
Sam Butler: IESA 3rd placer, will wrestle 103
Jason Kemp: 103 State Qualifier in 2009
Brenan Gunville: 112 Regional Champion in 2009: Lost in sectional semifinal wresltebacks
Joe Murray: 2009 Sectional Qualifier at 119
Bobby Lee: 2009 Regional Champion at 125
Alex Butler: 2009 Regional Champion and 4th at sectionals in 2009 at 135
Dan Ramsden: One of the ? marks. Looked phenominal at camp, physically matured to a high level...
Nick Ellinger: Winning Record in 2009
Patrick Bennett: Winning Record in 2009

Glenwood also has a solid 215/Heavyweight wrestler to fill in this year nicely.

Lincoln: Has probably the best 2 wresters in Haferkamp and Hickey, both who took 4th place at the state tournament. Those two are legit and will be the front runners at whatever weight class they decide to go.

SHS: Vong qualified for the state meet at 171 but was beaten by Hickey in the sectional finals. Could be a great rematch if they go the same weight. Casper was also a qualifer at HWT for Springfield HS Noah Murray lost a sectional 4th place match that was really close vs. a kid he had beaten before. He is a factor this year.

Jacksonville: Kai Jacobs lost a close 3rd place match last year to go to state. His offseason will help him tremendously. Wrestled for Ascension Wrestling Academy. They also have a sold group returning that was in second place at regionals heading into the final round.

Southeast: has Christian Taborn who qualified for the state tournament at 140 last year. They also had a sectional qualifier at 103 from last year as well.

Lanphier: as Arnold who qualified at 171 by defeating Noah Murray (from Springfield HS) in the 3rd place match.

Hopefully some of those who are more knowledgeable then I am can shed some light on the SHG and Taylorville teams as I do not know very much.

Last edited by Elixor; 11-05-2009 at 11:28 AM.
Old 11-05-2009
Varsity

Elixor - Your ranking seems to be more of a hype on Glenwood and a pat on the back for the Titans then a true ranking of the CS8. If you think they have anything in the bag you are sadly mistaken. IESA kids will not necessarily translate into varsity wins for the Titans. They will certainly be solid. Several of the other CS8 squads should also contend for the title.

Last edited by Pressure33; 11-05-2009 at 02:04 PM.
Old 11-06-2009
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure33 View Post
Elixor - Your ranking seems to be more of a hype on Glenwood and a pat on the back for the Titans then a true ranking of the CS8. If you think they have anything in the bag you are sadly mistaken. IESA kids will not necessarily translate into varsity wins for the Titans. They will certainly be solid. Several of the other CS8 squads should also contend for the title.

My rankings are not a "hype". My rankings are what I think they are and anyone is entitled to their opinion. After reviewing my posts where did I say they had it in the bag? You are putting words into my mouth. I simply put my opinion in my rankings and then went in depth about the team I am most familiar with. I also went in depth as best I could with other teams. MALAN asked for an elaboration so I did so and included some key newcomers (IESA) kids that could be some sleepers. Never did I say that they were a lock to translate into varsity wins, but they are key newcomers nontheless.
I strongly encourage those knowledgeable about other CS8 teams to include their opinions as they are entitled to. You seem to be putting words into my mouth.
Old 11-06-2009
Varsity

My heart lies with SHS because my son is on the squad and I also wrestled for Nesbit in the late 80's but I do know that Chatham is solid throughout. When SHS wrestles Chatham this year, I think it will be fairly evenly matched in terms of wins but Chatham will probably have the edge in bonus points. It's going to be a good one. I am not counting out Lincoln, Jax, or even Taylorville either. It's all about the match-ups and bonus points in duals. All the above mentioned schools are well-coached and have a great amount of talent.

Good luck to all CS8's.
Old 11-06-2009
Varsity

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by MALAN5 View Post
My heart lies with SHS because my son is on the squad and I also wrestled for Nesbit in the late 80's but I do know that Chatham is solid throughout. When SHS wrestles Chatham this year, I think it will be fairly evenly matched in terms of wins but Chatham will probably have the edge in bonus points. It's going to be a good one. I am not counting out Lincoln, Jax, or even Taylorville either. It's all about the match-ups and bonus points in duals. All the above mentioned schools are well-coached and have a great amount of talent.

Good luck to all CS8's.

Agreed, good post. Jax and Taylorville should not be counted out. Taylorville won the CS8 as recent as 2008. Thus proving that any team can catch fire.
Old 11-07-2009
Varsity

Good post Malan... agree wholeheartedly. The CS8 has some nice parody this year and on any given night it could be any ones time to shine.

Old 11-07-2009
Varsity

Butler

Alex Butler state placer? Come on Elixer do you really believe this?

Sponsored Links