Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-05-2006

Tribune's coverage

How do we make enough noise with the trib to make them understand that there are sports other than basketball going on? Suggesting fans of other sports go online for results is a joke. I could get ALL my news online if I wanted to - why buy the paper? I know not to expect more than one article a month, but the least they cuold do is publish the results.

Am I alone in this?
Old 02-05-2006
Varsity

We e-mailed them last week and complained there was no coverage of the DVC Conference Championships and other conference championships, but they had covered the CCL Championships. They wrote back and said: the results are listed, but we don't have room for everything. We wrote them back and told them if they cut out half the basketball, they could add other sports. They just don't care. So we won't buy their paper.
Old 02-05-2006
Varsity

today there was a 2 page of the regional results in the paper today... but that does get my mad when i get a top 2 finish and i go get the paper and i see nothing but a little box score of wrestling and a page or 2 of IHSA basketball..
Old 02-05-2006
Beast!

Send a message via AIM to BulldogStatChick
i agree...this year was the first tme we've ever on our regional and the paper didn't say anything about it really except how some of our guys did individually. i guess we shouldn't complain but still i was expecting huge headlines you know?
Old 02-05-2006
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by CollectThemOnTheWeekend

How do we make enough noise with the trib to make them understand that there are sports other than basketball going on? Suggesting fans of other sports go online for results is a joke. I could get ALL my news online if I wanted to - why buy the paper? I know not to expect more than one article a month, but the least they cuold do is publish the results.

Am I alone in this?
I have sent several e-mails, right from the start of the year. I finally got them to print a small paragraph on how well Illinois HS wrestling teams did in out-of-state competition. I was also pissed that the MAIN (1/4 page article) accompanying the regional results was about a wrestler who had nothing to do with the regionals and no longer competes in this state!!!!!

send your emails to: dsurico@tribune.com
-or-
btemkin@tribune.com

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Old 02-05-2006
Varsity

I hate to be the downer on this, but we have to be a little bit more realistic in this. It's Super Bowl sunday - I'm amazed that there is any preps coverage at all. Boys Basketball is the most popular sport in the state - I hate to admit it but it is - so it's going to get the most coverage. After that, we have to compete with girls hoops, swimming and gymnastics. I think the best way to get more coverage is to write in, but remember that you get more flies with honey. Compliment the coverage that does exist, invite reporters to EVERY dual meet and tournament, treat them like gold when they're there, keep coaches and athletes open to the media.

Also, don't forget that the Trib and Times aren't the only place to get coverage. Your local Pioneer-Press should be contacted, and this site is one of the main places that wrestling fans turn to. Be sure to post your results here, and don't underestimate the coverage that this Web site provides!
Old 02-05-2006

great post

That is great insight bluestater. We can't expect wrestling to get more coverage than basketball, even if it is regionals weekend. It's reality that basketball is more popular than wrestling, so we just have to deal with it.
Old 02-05-2006
former city coach

It depends whom you ask. I could give two farts for basketball coverage compared to wrestling. I totally love wrestling and don't have much interest in hs basketball.

I'll bet a lot of people feel the same. Just because more people probably played basketball in hs than wrestled doesn't mean the coverage should be 100 to 1. There's enough interest in wrestling to warrant a nice series of articles on it every year, I think.

Do you think there's that much interest in girls basketball, too that it warrants tv coverage while the state wrestling finals gets none? Do you think more people tuned in for that Morgan Park vs. Simeon football game telecast a while back (not even playoffs) than would tune in for the state wrestling finals?

The bottom line is that the people making these decisions were people who played basketball or football, probably. In the city the wrestling coordinator never even wrestled. it's all matter of who is in what position, not popularity.
Old 02-05-2006
Varsity

hey this is nothing new they never cover wrestling properly i reed the paper and the only talke about how many kids from a specific school qualified. it's always been like that one the city wrestling get little to no coverage and if the get coverage it's about wrestling outside the city. and yeah thing aren't great in the city and how it's runned. oh and hey voncoach are we ribbing on pruitt againg LOL . hey i saw the kids who qualified from the city to the sectional. of those regional were one sided compared to other i.e OPRF. somehting should be done about the way the pair the regional .
Old 02-06-2006
Junior Varsity

I am not a fan of the Tribune prep coverage whatsoever. Bob Sakamoto seems to be a fan of Wheaton Warrenville South football and whoever is the flavor of the month in basketball. They don't cover wrestling, soccer or baseball with nearly as much vigor as they do football and basketball. And girls' sports might as well be playing in Israel.

Not a lot of equitable coverage happening with the Trib. Just don't buy it.
Sponsored Links