Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 02-13-2006
What?

Predictions/Sleepers @ 145 lbs.

Anybody have any predictions or sleepers for the 145 lbs. weight class? My sleeper (although I do not know how much of a sleeper a 42-1 kid can be) is #9 Austin Bautista from Maine East. He is a solid wrestler who has beaten some of the kids ranked above him and has completely walked through the state tournament thus far until the 145 lbs. Leyden Sectional Championship. There he went up against a very good wrestler in Craig Johnson from Elk Grove. Johnson led 3-1 after the first, 4-3 after the second, but Bautista made a beautiful shot with about a minute left in the third and was able to hang on 6-5. He showed he can win the close matches and can match up with the best of them. I see him going far, even though his half of the brakcet is tough. Any other thoughts on the 145 lbs. bracket.
Old 02-13-2006

Matt Rice Maine South

Granted, Austin is extraordinarily explosive and talented. Yet, with a record currently standing at 42-1 I personally would not consider him a "sleeper." Rather, my sleeper pick is our very own Matt Rice. He placed third in the tough Leyden Sectional, behind only Johnson from Elk Grove and Bautista from Maine East. Matt is a very tough kid and will be a challenge for anyone to wrestle at Assembly Hall. I think he has a great shot to surprise some people and place, especially considering how his bracket turned out. Additionally, Matt is a great individual and a leader in the classroom and the community. A terrific kid overall and I wish him the best of luck. Watch out for Rice!
Old 02-13-2006
What?

I completely agree with you. I know Austin Bautista (Maine East) is not really a sleeper but he is talked about so infrequently. I'm just trying to get some conversation going with a somewhat notable wrestler. I have also had the privelage of watching Matt Rice (Maine South) wrestle, and I like what I see. He is a very hard worker and is the type of wrestler that could make a run. He also seems like a great kid off the mat as you say. Even though Leyden is considered to be one of the weakest, if not the weakest sectional going into state, I fully expect one of the three qualifiers at 145 lbs. from there to make a run. And as good as Austin is he has a tough draw, and although he has the best record out of the Leyden Sectional, I would probably be less surprised if Rice or Craig Johnson (Elk Grove) ended up placing. The early rounds will be the test for them both. Johnson Against Brennan Drew (Warren) and if he wins that match, which I think he will by a major decision, he will have #5 Murphy (Providence). And then if he wins that match which I think will be a great one, he would have #10 Austin Waggoner (Granite City) which I think Johnson would also win by major. The key match in that portion of the bracket will be Johnson vs. #5 Murphy. Rice also has a tough road ahead of him. Rice will win his first match by at least five points but as Johnson's match against #5 Murphy will be, Rice's match against #4 Joey Kotowski (Nequa Valley) will be the key match in that portion of the bracket. Kotowski is clearly the favorite but Rice is not to be underestimated. Nor should Johnson or Bautista be taken lightly at all. The Leyden Sectional will produce great results downstate and when it happens and Bautista, Johnson, and Rice start upsetting people, "don't say that I didn't warn you!"
Old 02-13-2006
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigFallico
Granted, Austin is extraordinarily explosive and talented. Yet, with a record currently standing at 42-1 I personally would not consider him a "sleeper." Rather, my sleeper pick is our very own Matt Rice. He placed third in the tough Leyden Sectional, behind only Johnson from Elk Grove and Bautista from Maine East. Matt is a very tough kid and will be a challenge for anyone to wrestle at Assembly Hall. I think he has a great shot to surprise some people and place, especially considering how his bracket turned out. Additionally, Matt is a great individual and a leader in the classroom and the community. A terrific kid overall and I wish him the best of luck. Watch out for Rice!
I think he'll have a good match with the St Charles kid in the first round. He wrestled well against Bautista, and I think he was one of Johnson's losses this year. I don't think either can beat Kotkowski though in the 2n round.
Old 02-13-2006
What?

You're correct. Andrew Vyhanek (St. Charles East) was one of Craig Johnson's (Elk Grove) losses. In fact all of Johnson's losses have been to state qualifiers. However it was a close match much earlier in the season and it was actually in the first round of a Glenbard tournament. I think Vyhanek won that tournament and Johnson got fifth because there were no wrestlebacks and it was blind draw. I think in a rematch though Johnson easily takes that match. After seeing Matt Rice (Maine South) wrestle, and hearing about the Johnson vs. Vyhanek match from earlier in the season, Rice wins this match rather easily.
Old 02-13-2006
Varsity

I know this won't be a popular pick with those on this thread, but I think Malizzio from GBN will beat Bautista. He wrestles probably the toughest schedule of the group.
Old 02-13-2006
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by z123119
You're correct. Andrew Vyhanek (St. Charles East) was one of Craig Johnson's (Elk Grove) losses. In fact all of Johnson's losses have been to state qualifiers. However it was a close match much earlier in the season and it was actually in the first round of a Glenbard tournament. I think Vyhanek won that tournament and Johnson got fifth because there were no wrestlebacks and it was blind draw. I think in a rematch though Johnson easily takes that match. After seeing Matt Rice (Maine South) wrestle, and hearing about the Johnson vs. Vyhanek match from earlier in the season, Rice wins this match rather easily.
I think it will be closer than you are giving him credit for. He is a returning state qualifier and and only lost to Bautista early by 1-2 and then by 4 I think and beat Johnson. Didn't Rice get majored by both of them? I am not sure who will win, but I bet it will be close. Plus, I think of his losses, 2 are to Bautista, 2 to Kotkowski, and 1 to George, so he has wrestled some tough competition.

Last edited by wagon0619; 02-13-2006 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-13-2006
What?

Yeah, maybe I am. You make a good point. If that really is his track record it will definately be one of the better matches in the prelims along with Johnson against Brennan Drew (Warren). I have not seen Vyhanek so I will have to take your word on it. He sounds good though. Based on matchups against Bautista though I would have to give the edge to Johnson in a rematch against Vyhanek. He was on his way to winning and should have won his match against Bautista in the Leyden Sectional Championship match. And it could potentially come down to match between Johnson and Vyhanek. Granted they would both have to upset two of the tougher wrestlers in the weight-class in the second round (Vyhanek vs. #4 Kotowski and Johnson vs. #5 Murphy) but they are both extremely capable. Based on all of the it appears that the upper half of this 145 lbs. bracket is wide open. The first few rounds will be very exciting and it truly is anybody's to win, that is until they stand accross from Albert White in the championship match. The top half of the bracket is really just wrestling to get a shot at losing to him. Nonetheless it will be interesting and I can not wait to see what happens.
Old 02-13-2006
Varsity

I have seen Matt Rice wrestle numerous times, i think that he is lucky to qualify for state, Leyden is the second weakest sectional IMO. I also think that Bautista isn't good enough on the mat to compete with the upper end guys in the state, he is real tough on his feet though, and that would lead me to agree with GBN beating him in the first round. But we will see
Old 02-13-2006
Sergeant Major

Send a message via MSN to mckbln
Quote:
Originally Posted by z123119
Anybody have any predictions or sleepers for the 145 lbs. weight class? My sleeper (although I do not know how much of a sleeper a 42-1 kid can be) is #9 Austin Bautista from Maine East. He is a solid wrestler who has beaten some of the kids ranked above him and has completely walked through the state tournament thus far until the 145 lbs. Leyden Sectional Championship. There he went up against a very good wrestler in Craig Johnson from Elk Grove. Johnson led 3-1 after the first, 4-3 after the second, but Bautista made a beautiful shot with about a minute left in the third and was able to hang on 6-5. He showed he can win the close matches and can match up with the best of them. I see him going far, even though his half of the brakcet is tough. Any other thoughts on the 145 lbs. bracket.
Luke Roth, Lockport...he has some bad losses, but he is a threat. That said I think it's Kotowski & White in the finals.

"On the bloody morning after, one tin soldier rides away..."
Sponsored Links