Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 1A

Old 02-15-2020
Junior Varsity

Vandalia sectional

Very good wrestling here, this group of kids should represent the south very well next weekend. State champs in blood rounds, ranked kids getting beat, tough sectional

Best wrestler/ Federico from belleville
Best match/ joe joe braunagle vs downs
Best team/ unityogdencello

Refs were horrible. Seen two stalling calls within 9 seconds a few times. Would someone please tell these guys it's not their job to score points in the match. Calling stalling when guys were sprawling for defence, not sure what they want wrestler to do. Out of bounds is not stalling in highschool fellas! Blew whistle incorrectly in a overtime match, didn't know the rules. Very poor by seasoned refs.

Vandalia has won 26 or more regionals in a row, but struggle running a quality sectional.
1. No printed brackets
2. No posted brackets on walls
3. People standing at rails blocking people from seeing matches, no security to help at all
4. No control on the floor. Unityogdencello had a group of wrestlers, coaches, parents, girlfriends, cousins, life coaches, and family pets traveling from mat to mat screaming and cheering 5 foot from mat every match. I guess two coaches and athlete only doesn't apply if you bring whole team to sectionals. Built in home field advantage for them, disadvantage for everyone else.

Nice job vandals
Old 02-15-2020
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokey32 View Post
Very good wrestling here, this group of kids should represent the south very well next weekend. State champs in blood rounds, ranked kids getting beat, tough sectional

Best wrestler/ Federico from belleville
Best match/ joe joe braunagle vs downs
Best team/ unityogdencello

Refs were horrible. Seen two stalling calls within 9 seconds a few times. Would someone please tell these guys it's not their job to score points in the match. Calling stalling when guys were sprawling for defence, not sure what they want wrestler to do. Out of bounds is not stalling in highschool fellas! Blew whistle incorrectly in a overtime match, didn't know the rules. Very poor by seasoned refs.

Vandalia has won 26 or more regionals in a row, but struggle running a quality sectional.
1. No printed brackets
2. No posted brackets on walls
3. People standing at rails blocking people from seeing matches, no security to help at all
4. No control on the floor. Unityogdencello had a group of wrestlers, coaches, parents, girlfriends, cousins, life coaches, and family pets traveling from mat to mat screaming and cheering 5 foot from mat every match. I guess two coaches and athlete only doesn't apply if you bring whole team to sectionals. Built in home field advantage for them, disadvantage for everyone else.

Nice job vandals
How can you blow whistle wrong???? Did he suck instead of blow
Old 02-15-2020
Varsity

Think Bowen refs might have been worse. Guy with ponytail was one of the best I’ve seen this year. Chunky guy with beard may have been his first tourney. Wouldn’t give takedowns on kids cradled up or kids getting merkled. Too busy scoring takedowns and missing 3-4 seconds on a nearfalls before he started counting. Bald guy horrible also. Thought people were there too watch him. I know we’re short on refs, but the hiring process has too be a little tougher. It is a paid job so you have to produce. One physically pushed a kid off another because of a potentialy dangerouse move. Blow your whistle. No touching of the kids. If you don’t know that you shouldn’t be able to coach any sport. Bowen had 4 rows of bleachers on one side of gym for fans and same on other side for wrestlers. Imagine how awesome that was. And they kept announcing to get in the stands. Joke IHSA allowed that venue. Guarantee less than 10 percent of the people there were happy. No trainers. Wanna be trainers cleaning up blood with Lysol. Mats not regulation distance. Table workers not properly trained from start to finish. Mats were defanetly not cleaned. Only positive was to show people how not to run a tournament.

Last edited by Hook-N-Tilt; 02-15-2020 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-15-2020
Junior Varsity

It's not an easy job. I would rather see a ref that is learning and making a few mistakes than a ref that is costing kids trips to state because they want to be seen. Trying to be noticed so they can get that state finals job. Stalling calls should be very obvious to everybody watching, we all know when we see it, a kid not engaging in contact or laying on bottom with no effort to advance position, or parallel ride on top. That's it. Everything else is ref trying to impress crowd or coaches to get state ref bid. It's like refs in college constantly talking to wrestlers like they are their coaches. Shut up and ref, it's not your job to instruct on game plans, motion, or even tell them to center. That's coaches job dummy
Old 02-15-2020

Pokey32 what does Unityogdencello stand for?
How was the jo jo downs match the best?
Old 02-15-2020
Junior Varsity

Unityogdencello is an inside joke if you will, some have suggested that 5 or 6 kids might actually be form st jo Ogden and Monticello. U are the unity fan so maybe you can set that rumor right. Any match that has 2 topped ranked wrestlers, 3 throws to back with last one resulting in pin, that's an entertaining match. Did you have a favorite?
Old 02-15-2020

I will agree with you about the refs this weekend lots of bad calls and stopping the matches for whatever reason Calling stalling on a pinning combination.
The sectional was poorly ran. Not enough food in the concession stand.

There where kids all over the mats just not Unity kids sorry they like to support there team.

Good thing its an inside joke because those arent facts.
Old 02-15-2020

I really enjoyed the Easton vs Stanley match. Stanley winning a 7-6 match a few weeks ago.
Old 02-15-2020
Junior Varsity

Dont apologize for supporting your teammates, do it from the stands like you were told 3 times on the announcement. Your coaches know the rules even if you dont, to bad vandalia did not enforce it. And you are correct, there were other teams and parents on floor too, not sure agreeing with my observation of the problem helps your argument. But let me take a shot at it, "they did it first mom!". Is that close?
Old 02-16-2020
Junior Varsity

Weighing in on how things were run; I thought Oregon's sectional was run very well. Refs all did a good job, tons of space, no parking issues and the scorers were all on point. This may have been the first meet all year I've been to (including regionals) where scorers weren't students or volunteers that don't really know the sport. Had one meet earlier this year where the guy keeping the time was watching a basketball game on his phone and missed multiple starts/stops.
Sponsored Links