Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 11-16-2006

Interested CPS Schools?

Niles North is hosting a unique Super Dual competition on December 29th.

The competition will involve our younger guys and 5 CPS high school wrestling teams. Every team will get 4 duals followed by a free luncheon for everyone (wrestlers, coaches and officials). Immediately after the luncheon, all wrestlers and coaches will be transported to Northwestern University (just a couple miles) to watch the afternoon session of the Midlands Wrestling Tournament. We are pursuing the possibility of involving Northwestern University's Beat The Streets Program and enhance this experience even more. This is an excellent opportunity to use as an incentive for the city kids to stay involved over the holiday break, get significant wrestling experience in one morning and be exposed to one of the most storied tournaments in the country.

Please contact immediately if interested. Two schools have already expressed enthusiastic interest and we are accepting the 5 CPS schools on a first come, first served basis.
PM if you have questions or call Carol Herlocker Asst AD 847-626-2284.
Old 11-16-2006
Wrestling Media

Great

I have printed this and will be passing it along to Coach Hall the wrestling coach at my school, Chicago Vocational. He will be in touch with you.

Thanks
Old 11-16-2006
Olympian

When you say younger guys........do you mean frosh/soph? Sounds great!
Old 11-16-2006
Olympian

By the way Twist........Is there a picture of Dick Butkis at CV? If so, what does it look like?
Old 11-16-2006
Wrestling Media

Class of '61

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
By the way Twist........Is there a picture of Dick Butkis at CV? If so, what does it look like?
Of course we have a picture of Dick Butkus along with Kenna Turner, Lou Collier, Chris Zorich, DeMarlo Hale, Marvin Freeman and Juwan Howard. We have a special trophy case for our cVs professional athletes and these are two of of the pictures in it. There are several pictures in his display including his class picture.
Attached Images

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 11-16-2006 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-16-2006
Olympian

Thanks Twist..........all you. I am going to forward to my family! I was born in Rosland. I have to work on it......but my Uncle Gary was on Dick's little league team. He has the picture. I'll try to scan. thanks,,......by the way, do they have a wrestling team there? At CV?
Old 11-16-2006
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Thanks Twist..........all you. I am going to forward to my family! I was born in Rosland. I have to work on it......but my Uncle Gary was on Dick's little league team. He has the picture. I'll try to scan. thanks,,......by the way, do they have a wrestling team there? At CV?
Yes we have a wrestling team. The Head Coach is Coach Hall and he has a couple of dedicated assistants. The numbers are usually around 20 dedicated and a few stragglers. The Cavaliers hosted the regionals a few years ago before it went to Mt Carmel in 2005. It is a decent team. This year there is a push by the head football coach to get the freshman football team to wrestle. The freshman team won the city title two weeks ago and may be the best young team of athletes in the building. So the entire team (30) showed up the first day of practice but after one day of wrestling practice they were no where to be seen. They had gone to either the track team or the weight room. So I have spent the last two days after school rounding them up and helping Coach Hall get them back in the wrestling room. As the sponsor of the Lettermen's Club this is kind of above and beyond my duties but I love wrestling so I would prefer to see them wrestle instead of track or basketball.
Old 11-17-2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
I have printed this and will be passing it along to Coach Hall the wrestling coach at my school, Chicago Vocational. He will be in touch with you.

Thanks
CVS is now involved in our super dual competition. Three CPS schools have voiced their intent in attending, only two more will be accepted. If interested, please act now.

See initial post of this thread for contact information. This experience will be a life long memory for all the kids involved. Coaches at Niles North and Northwestern University are excited about establishing the super duals as an annual event.
Old 11-20-2006
former city coach

Nice idea...

Really cool idea. I think this is the kind of thing that Micky Pruitt might consider orchestrating again in the future. Seeing the midlands would be a great experience for these kids and may energize the sport in Chicago.

Maybe city wrestling can jump in and expand on this idea.
Sponsored Links