Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 11-26-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by admin View Post
Been thinking a lot about this whole mess and have talked to a lot of people over the past few days. The more I think about it, the more a couple things keep popping into my head.

1. I have spent over a decade working within the Illinois wrestling community managing and growing this website, and throughout the entire process, I have always tried to do things the right way, treating people fairly and with respect and handling situations with class. I feel like I have a pretty good reputation within the wrestling community and have developed strong relationships with coaches, officials, wrestlers, and fans alike. So to have the IWCOA (of which I'm a board member - probably "was" a board member as I'm sure I'll be voted off the island soon) send an email out to their membership of coaches and officials attacking me and trying to damage my reputation in defense of a situation in which they caused is very troubling to me.

2. The other thing that I can't wrap my head around is why the Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association (IWCOA), who has the following mission statement, wants to own rankings on their website.

"The Illinois Wrestling Coaches and Officials Association (IWCOA) was founded in 1971 with the mutual intent of the coaches and officials to cooperatively work together. The manifestation of this mutual intent to recognize individuals, groups, and institutions who have further advanced the quality of the sport of wrestling. Comprised of coaches, officials, media and contributors from across the state the IWCOA recognizes the accomplishments of individuals, groups and institutions. This includes sponsoring; all-star matches/duals, Midwest Nationals, Fresh/Soph and Girls State Tournaments; supporting the Illinois High School Association (IHSA) through clinics and classes for coaches and officials; and providing communication and social activities for the purpose of membership recruitment."

Based on this statement, isn't the primary purpose of the IWCOA to provide recognition and tp support the Illinois wrestling community? I don't see anything in there about becoming a media outlet and/or publishing state rankings.

Also, doesn't this create a huge conflict of interest? The IWCOA president and several of the board members are officials. So now the officials are "ranking" the wrestlers and teams that they officiate? I know Rob is the ranker, but the rankings are published on the IWCOA website which gives them ownership of those rankings.

Finally, does the IWCOA membership really want the IWCOA to become a media outlet and spend their funds towards this effort? I hope so because the IWCOA is paying $3000 dollars to get those rankings on their site this season (and probably more down the road to keep them). That's money wrestlers and parents put in their bank account through their frosh/soph state series and banquets.

In fact, in their September board meeting, they released that they currently have roughly $45,000 in the bank.

That's an awful lot of money in the bank for a non-profit wrestling organization.

Where did all the money come from? Likely from their frosh/soph state series, where it costs the following to enter and coach.

To Coach You Have to Join the IWCOA:
IWCOA membership available at the site ($35) this includes liability ins, complimentary entry and floor pass at each event and the luncheon at the state championship. Coach’s floor passes may be purchased at each event ($15).

Entry Fees to Compete:
$40 for Regionals, $25 Sectionals, and $20 State Championship ($85 in total per wrestler)

So why not lower those fees and give back to the wrestling community? Or is that extra money necessary to grow their media outlet and purchase more rankings?

Anyways, now that I've gotten these things off my mind, I'm moving on. I'm excited about the site this season and all the new things we are working on.

Thanks to everyone that has donated towards our GoFundMe. We are on our way to reaching our goal and providing the best state wrestling coverage in the country!
Have you approved their vBulliten account? Or do you just want a one-sided conversation?

It's' always easy to demonize the other side when they don't have a voice.
Old 11-26-2017
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55663 View Post
Have you approved their vBulliten account? Or do you just want a one-sided conversation?

All accounts are approved and I have not deleted one comment regarding this topic on the message board or social media. On the other hand...
Old 11-26-2017
Varsity

Quote:

As many have found out, it's always best to be the one making the rules.

I found the irony of this statement pretty hilarious. "After reading one of the posts on Facebook that I didn't feel was fair, I replied only to have my post deleted quickly by the IWCOA."
Old 11-26-2017
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low dribble View Post
As many have found out, it's always best to be the one making the rules.

I found the irony of this statement pretty hilarious. "After reading one of the posts on Facebook that I didn't feel was fair, I replied only to have my post deleted quickly by the IWCOA."
That's not irony, Alanis.

I don't have a dog in this fight. And if both sides are censoring each other, I don't support that. It would be interesting to hear what happened in public, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.
Old 11-27-2017
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
I don't have a dog in this fight. And if both sides are censoring each other, I don't support that. It would be interesting to hear what happened in public, but it doesn't seem like that's going to happen.
No censoring being done by Illinois Matmen regarding this topic.
Old 12-01-2017
Pride, Pursuit, & Family

Shock and Gratitude (Flip the Order)

Hi Mike and the IM community,

I am quite surprised to find all of this information out now. I am working to update the rankings on the OPRF Wrestling website, and I was confused as to why the regular rankings were not posted. Was there some problem? I have received the Illinois Best Weekly emails.

I looked in the 3A Forum but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I scurried over to the News Forum and found this thread, not 15 minutes ago.

I certainly do not understand the entirety of what happened, but I am saddened that such a regular, important part of my last several years has gone. I understand that I can view the rankings on a different site, but the relationship of Illinois Matmen with the rankings is a strong one for me. I feel a void that I did not see coming.

Rankings aside, I sincerely appreciate all that Mike Bare and all of the contributors have done for casual and die-hard fans throughout the years. It is an incredible gift that we share, this IM site and peripherals. Without it, I may not be in the position I am. I owe a lot of thanks to you, Mike.

A few years before I created and managed my alma mater's wrestling site, I began posting on the IM forum about Huskie wrestlers and their results. I reported on Huskie results such as at Conant and Granite City. At any rate, Huskie coaches took note of my posts and wondered who I was. Well, we connected sometime after, and I was (excitedly) chosen to create and launch the OPRF Wrestling website. The website launched in 2008, and the Huskies were undefeated state champions in my inaugural season.

That season made me come alive in ways I never imagined. Just as I felt reborn, my mother was not well, and she passed away about a week and a half after our team won our first team title. It was the site and my new Huskie Wrestling Family community that gave me strength to give my all and do everything I could to will us to that title. The OPRF site also caused me a healthy distraction to dealing with the sadness, worry, and confusion over a loved one's serious ailments.

I want to say, from the bottom of my heart, that I appreciate and love this site. Without you, I may not have found my "Huskie Heart" grow to its fullest size and warmest happiness.

Mike (Admin), I respect whatever choice or choices you make for your future or that of Illinois Matmen. Come what may, it has been a magical ride to be a part of this site. In recent posts, it sounds like you are refocused on continuing to be a monunental force in so many lives. I am thrilled to hear this.

I am leaving this post now to donate at your GoFundMe page, and I wish you and yours a very wonderful holiday season and wrestling season! All the best.

Brian Tideman
Old 12-01-2017
Owner/Webmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by titan442 View Post
Hi Mike and the IM community,

I am quite surprised to find all of this information out now. I am working to update the rankings on the OPRF Wrestling website, and I was confused as to why the regular rankings were not posted. Was there some problem? I have received the Illinois Best Weekly emails.

I looked in the 3A Forum but didn't see anything out of the ordinary. I scurried over to the News Forum and found this thread, not 15 minutes ago.

I certainly do not understand the entirety of what happened, but I am saddened that such a regular, important part of my last several years has gone. I understand that I can view the rankings on a different site, but the relationship of Illinois Matmen with the rankings is a strong one for me. I feel a void that I did not see coming.

Rankings aside, I sincerely appreciate all that Mike Bare and all of the contributors have done for casual and die-hard fans throughout the years. It is an incredible gift that we share, this IM site and peripherals. Without it, I may not be in the position I am. I owe a lot of thanks to you, Mike.

A few years before I created and managed my alma mater's wrestling site, I began posting on the IM forum about Huskie wrestlers and their results. I reported on Huskie results such as at Conant and Granite City. At any rate, Huskie coaches took note of my posts and wondered who I was. Well, we connected sometime after, and I was (excitedly) chosen to create and launch the OPRF Wrestling website. The website launched in 2008, and the Huskies were undefeated state champions in my inaugural season.

That season made me come alive in ways I never imagined. Just as I felt reborn, my mother was not well, and she passed away about a week and a half after our team won our first team title. It was the site and my new Huskie Wrestling Family community that gave me strength to give my all and do everything I could to will us to that title. The OPRF site also caused me a healthy distraction to dealing with the sadness, worry, and confusion over a loved one's serious ailments.

I want to say, from the bottom of my heart, that I appreciate and love this site. Without you, I may not have found my "Huskie Heart" grow to its fullest size and warmest happiness.

Mike (Admin), I respect whatever choice or choices you make for your future or that of Illinois Matmen. Come what may, it has been a magical ride to be a part of this site. In recent posts, it sounds like you are refocused on continuing to be a monunental force in so many lives. I am thrilled to hear this.

I am leaving this post now to donate at your GoFundMe page, and I wish you and yours a very wonderful holiday season and wrestling season! All the best.

Brian Tideman
Thanks so much for the kind words Brian and I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. It's stories like yours that drive me to keep moving forward with Illinois Matmen.

We will have our first full set of rankings out next week so be on the look out for those, and great job with your OPRF site! It is a great resource for the Huskie faithful out there!