Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News

Old 04-11-2010
Owner/Webmaster

2010 Wrestling USA / Cliff Keen Dream Team Classic Dual Results

Team USA 31, Team Illinois 15
112 Miko Villanueva (Dundee Crown) DEC #5 Blake Thomas (Brentwood, TN) 9-4, 3-0 IL
285 #1 Michael McMullen (Wyoming Seminary, PA) FALL Andrew Ellington (Edwardsville), 6-3 USA
119 #1 Ryak Finch (Safford, AZ) DEC Logan Arlis (Batavia) 8-4, 9-3 USA
215 #3 Trevor Rupp (Pocatello, ID) DEC Matt Dwyer (Hononegah) 3-1 OT, 12-3 USA
125 #3 @130 Devin Carter (Christianburg, VA) DEC Matt Bystol (Libertyville) 13-7, 15-3 USA
189 #1 Mike Evans (Blair Academy, NJ) FALL Dan Santoro (Barrington), 21-3 USA
130 #10 Keith Surber (O'Fallon) DEC #1 Frank Cagnina (Queen of Peach, NJ) 6-2, 21-6 USA
171 Andy Spangler (Neuqua Valley) DEC Michael Duckworth (Union County, IN) 8-6 OT, 21-9 USA
135 #8 Chris Dardanes (Oak Park River Forest) DEC #2 Ryan Nieman (Bullock Creek, MI) 6-4 OT, 21-12 USA
160 #1 Marshall Peppelman (Central Dauphin, PA) DEC Joe Strocchia (Hinsdale Central) 8-2, 24-12 USA
140 #4 Nick Dardanes (Oak Park River Forest) DEC Frankie Porras (Hobart, IN) 7-3, 24-15 USA
152 #1 Dylan Alton (Central Mountain, PA) DEC Joey Moorhouse (Marengo) 10-6, 27-15 USA
145 #1 Andrew Alton (Central Mountain, PA) MAJ DEC Demetrios Mitchell (Hersey) 22-13, 31-15 USA
Old 04-11-2010
Super Moderator

I thought our guys performed very well over all. Miko Villanueva and Keith Surber really stepped it up. Miko knocked off the #5 guy and Keith dropped the #1 guy, and they both did it in convincing style. I never doubted that the Dardanes boys could win their matches. Winning 5 matches from the Dream Team is very respectable, albeit the Dream Team did not have a full line up of the top seniors. Our Illinois team, also, did not feature all of our best seniors. I thought Matt Bystol and Matt Dwyer really wrestled well against two #3 guys in the country. Ultimately, I was also impressed with Joe Strocchia, who was beat handily in the first period, but wrestled well the rest of the way. He has no experience wrestling outside the state, and he made adjustments and had a respectable two periods against not only the #1 in the country at his weight, but maybe the #1 college recruit out of this Senior class. Dmetrious Mitchell hung with Andrew Alton for almost two periods, with an impressive double leg takedown early in the first period with back points, but he was just not prepared for 6 full minutes of the best guy in the country. I think his lack of experience outside the state against top competition in the country really showed. He let down his guard at key times, and Alton took advantage each time. Evans was impressive beating Dan Santora. He will be a beast at Iowa. Evans just seized the momentum right from the start, and Dan was not able to get in the match. It didn't help that Dan was wrestling up a weight against the #1 guy in the country. Spangler looked solid. In all, I felt our guys represented Illinois well. It was nice to hear Buxton from Blair Academy give props to Illinois at the end.

Last edited by Jaguar; 04-11-2010 at 03:13 PM.
Old 04-11-2010
Varsity

According to the March 15 Amateur Wrestling News rankings the Dream Team had 9 number#1 rated kids, one second and one eleventh. Thats pretty solid in my book and they represented some 25 state titles with three national prep titles thrown in. To say that the Illinois squad (with it's three ranked kids and four state champs) was anything less than spectacular would be an injustice. Great night for Illinois wrestling especially when one second more (Dwyer wins in regulation) and one second less(Santoro not pinned) makes the final score 26-18 (Evans major?).
Old 04-11-2010
Junior Varsity

Awesome meet, Illinois represented Illinois wrestling very well through their wins and losses. Congrats to the Dardanes bros., Villanueva, Surber, and Spangler for their wins. And the talented Illinois wrestlers who lost, well, I was thinking "Hell yeah that's wrestling to the max." and their efforts should be honored. Demetrios Mitchell has an extremely bright future and I WAS jumping out of my chair during his match! That match just shows how good he really can be, which I think he can be a national champ, Division 1. Anyone know what college he will be going to?
Old 04-11-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigHurt View Post
Awesome meet, Illinois represented Illinois wrestling very well through their wins and losses. Congrats to the Dardanes bros., Villanueva, Surber, and Spangler for their wins. And the talented Illinois wrestlers who lost, well, I was thinking "Hell yeah that's wrestling to the max." and their efforts should be honored. Demetrios Mitchell has an extremely bright future and I WAS jumping out of my chair during his match! That match just shows how good he really can be, which I think he can be a national champ, Division 1. Anyone know what college he will be going to?
Let's not get carried away!
Old 04-11-2010
Junior Varsity

Whaddaya Mean?

What are you talking about, Pirate?
Old 04-11-2010
Fight the fight

I believe that sooner or later Demetrios Mitchell will become at least a 2 X all american
Old 04-11-2010
Olympian

I believe he's saying, let's not call him a D-1 champ just yet. Let him walk into a college room first. He hasn't hit the national scene yet and is probably gonna take some lumps for a year before we see his true potential come out. He also needs to get some freestyle and greco under his belt and begin to use that in his arsenal. With his explosiveness and power, he could be scary good with some more training. With some more training, I could see him being a Caldwell and surprising a lot of people against tried and true STUDS.
Old 04-11-2010
Junior Varsity

is there anywhere were the public can see the matches?
Old 04-12-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
I thought our guys performed very well over all. Miko Villanueva and Keith Surber really stepped it up. Miko knocked off the #5 guy and Keith dropped the #1 guy, and they both did it in convincing style. I never doubted that the Dardanes boys could win their matches. Winning 5 matches from the Dream Team is very respectable, albeit the Dream Team did not have a full line up of the top seniors. Our Illinois team, also, did not feature all of our best seniors. I thought Matt Bystol and Matt Dwyer really wrestled well against two #3 guys in the country. Ultimately, I was also impressed with Joe Strocchia, who was beat handily in the first period, but wrestled well the rest of the way. He has no experience wrestling outside the state, and he made adjustments and had a respectable two periods against not only the #1 in the country at his weight, but maybe the #1 college recruit out of this Senior class. Dmetrious Mitchell hung with Andrew Alton for almost two periods, with an impressive double leg takedown early in the first period with back points, but he was just not prepared for 6 full minutes of the best guy in the country. I think his lack of experience outside the state against top competition in the country really showed. He let down his guard at key times, and Alton took advantage each time. Evans was impressive beating Dan Santora. He will be a beast at Iowa. Evans just seized the momentum right from the start, and Dan was not able to get in the match. It didn't help that Dan was wrestling up a weight against the #1 guy in the country. Spangler looked solid. In all, I felt our guys represented Illinois well. It was nice to hear Buxton from Blair Academy give props to Illinois at the end.
Evans pinned Santoro the end of the second period and if he wouldn't have pinned him then it would have been early in the third, Evans just had too much gun power for Santoro. As for Santoro wrestling up not totally true, I talked with one of the coaches from Illinois and at weigh ins, both Evans and Santoro were equal in weight. Evans was 180 ish as was Santoro. So to say Santoro wrestled up in weight he did not, Evans clearly wrestled down in weight. As for the match between the two I thought it was good. Evans clearly had too much in his back pocket. I also want to note that I saw Santoro go over to Evans at the end of the match while Evans was talking to Brands and looked like he had a pleasant exchange with Evans. Santoro was a class act through and through.
Sponsored Links