Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 06-20-2006
Olympian

The Burk Blog - Summer Time

This is the first blog in a long time, mainly because neither Duke nor I have a whole lot going on right now. We aren't taking summer school, so we pretty much have plenty of time to workout and rest. We have also been doing some small work here and there to make some money, before camps start up in about a week or so. But really, we just work out and then relax, and then workout again. And of course, there is plenty of eating in there, too.

Things have been going pretty well so far this summer. My knee is pretty much 100% healed, which I expected it to be. I am able to do just about anything I want without pain. It's a goal of mine to stay relatively healthy until the season is over in 2007, which might be a stretch, but I am doing everything I can to prevent injuries right now. It is nice to finally be able to wrestle without being restricted on the things I can do. Of course, my shape isn't exactly where it needs to be right now, but that will come with time.

Well, as I said, there really is not a whole lot to talk about right now. If anyone is interested in the training Duke and I do over the summer, let me know, and I'll break it down for you a bit more. I don't want to post it here, because I am not too sure a whole lot of people care haha. But, just let me know, and I'll share. We are both working hard and looking forward to making noise next yr. I am off for now, but take care. And good luck to everyone wrestling in the next month or so. Have fun. God Bless.

- Danny -

PS...I wanted to send a shout out to the Reynolds (hope I spelled that ok!) brothers, Sean and Donny. I hope they both have a full, fast recovery and are able to come back and compete at a top level again. Injuries are terrible, but I suppose they are a part of athletics....but I am hoping they will both be back to working hard in no time...take care.

Last edited by admin; 06-21-2006 at 12:23 AM.
Old 06-25-2006

Dan,

What is the nature of the Reynolds' injuries you reference? When and what? Particularly as to Sean, I've not even seen message board postings indicating what he did, if anything, in the way of wrestling this past year; do you know?
Old 06-27-2006
Hail to the Victors

http://www.illinoismatmen.com/forum/...ead.php?t=6353

This link has the info your looking for.
Old 06-27-2006
Hail to the Victors

Here is a post from February stating how Sean did at the Dave Schultz tourament.

02-06-2006
Conquistadors
Junior Varsity

Sean Reynolds at Dave Schultz tournament
I thought that Illinois fans would be interested to see that Illinois recruit Sean Reynolds participated in the Dave Schultz tournament in freestyle. He was at 66 kg (approx 145 pounds)-- I have to admit that I thought that Sean would be bigger by now. How is he going to fit into a line-up with Troy Tirapelle at 149 and Michael Poeta at 157 (both freshmen now)?

Anyway, the weight class that Sean wrestled in was absolutely stacked with former NCAA champs and high placers. Chris Bone beat Eric Larkin in the finals and Jared Frayer beat Arsen Shakhrutdinob of Russia for 3rd place. Others in the weight class include NCAA Champs Cliff Moore, Aaron Holker (safely back from Iraq), Bill Zadick, NCAA runner-ups Philip Simpson and Dylan Long, and AAs Jamarr Billman and Jeff Ratliff. Also present was Canadian World Medalis Evan McDonald.

Sean beat Dylon Long 5-1, 1-1 before losing to Philip Simpson 2-0, 2-0. In the consolations he lost to Cliff Moore 1-0, 1-0. So everyone he wrestled was an NCAA finalist. As we all know, freestyle success does not necessarily indicate folkstyle success, but still an impressive outing for young Sean. Just how he'll fit into the Illinois line-up, I don't know.

Last edited by admin; 06-27-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-01-2006
Junior Varsity

Out of curiosity Danny, how much do you weigh during the offseason? How about Duke, is he a full 184 pounder now?
Sponsored Links