Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 2A

Old 12-08-2017
Olympian

500 Wins

I used to be able to count the number of Illinois high school wrestling coaches with 500 wins on two hands. After tonight I have to take one shoe off and count a toe sticking through one of the holes in my sock. HOF Coach Steve Schroeder of 2A Metamora High School hit this milestone tonight. The former Woodstock and ISU wrestler put in his first 9 years at El Paso before moving over to Redbird country for about the last 30 years.

I have been lucky enough to know two members of the elite 500 club, Coach Schroeder and a former vegetarian coaching at Libertyville(who I failed to give his proper due when he entered the club a few years ago, my apologies). Only someone completely dedicated to the sport can achieve this. It takes a person who can build programs and stay with them. They are the ones who keep the sport alive and healthy. Many last only a few years, others a little longer and most are done by the time they hit the "double nickel". Schroeder has driven off I55 and is on Rt 66. My respect goes out to anyone who can achieve this goal. It takes filling weight classes, long bus rides, weekends away from home, "enduring" new refs and new assistants, surviving new administrations, enjoying the wins and suffering through the losses. At the end of it all is a legacy of hundreds of you men who got to wrestle and a sport that is better off for it.

Well done and congratulations, Coach Schroeder....and a tip of my cap to those who came before you.

Last edited by Greenskin; 12-09-2017 at 06:53 AM.
Old 12-12-2017
Olympian

Congratulations Coach! 500 happens on purpose, too big for luck, riding coatails or "right time, right place." Maximum effort over a lifetime. Outstanding....Thanks.
Sponsored Links