Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Shannon's Blog

Old 08-14-2009
Wrestling Media

Open question

Thanks to everyone who sent private messages and public ones with diet-related tips. I appreciate the thoughts.

I also am thankful to the people who replied to my inquiry about getting in contact with western Illinois local champions. I haven't had the time yet to figure out when to have the roundtable with everybody, but I'd still like to make it happen.

My question today is, and for once it's media-related: Sauk Valley Newspapers, located in Sterling and Dixon and their surrounding communities, is hiring for an assistant sports editor. Am considering it very much. I have always liked the guys in the sports department, and obviously it is good to have inroads with several wrestling coaches (Evan Thorpe most notably, but there are a few others). It's a great sports area that is very competitive statewide in the medium and small-sized classes. And it's not far from me now.

What do you think, based on what you know?
Old 08-16-2009
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timesfreelanceguy View Post
Thanks to everyone who sent private messages and public ones with diet-related tips. I appreciate the thoughts.

I also am thankful to the people who replied to my inquiry about getting in contact with western Illinois local champions. I haven't had the time yet to figure out when to have the roundtable with everybody, but I'd still like to make it happen.

My question today is, and for once it's media-related: Sauk Valley Newspapers, located in Sterling and Dixon and their surrounding communities, is hiring for an assistant sports editor. Am considering it very much. I have always liked the guys in the sports department, and obviously it is good to have inroads with several wrestling coaches (Evan Thorpe most notably, but there are a few others). It's a great sports area that is very competitive statewide in the medium and small-sized classes. And it's not far from me now.

What do you think, based on what you know?
I don't know a lot about that area of the state. But I do know that you do great work and that times are tough out here in the newspaper business. If you have a chance to get a job in a field you like and your family is comfortable with the particulars like time, location, pay, then I say take the job. Everything else will sort itself out within the first couple of months.

Best of luck Shannon and I will see you down on Press Row in Feb at the Dome.
Old 08-16-2009
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

Go for it...they would be very fortunate to have you on staff!! And you would still be close enough for us to keep in touch with!!
Old 08-17-2009
Varsity

and my response ... YES SHANNON!!!!!! THEY NEED YOU AT SVN!!!!!! when do i send in my reference? "very fortunate to have you on staff" ... we'd be BLESSED!!
Old 08-17-2009
Varsity

Take the job

We would be delighted to have a sports writer who was not only interested in wrestling, but also had a good deal of knowledge about the sport.

Besides Evan Thorpe at Dixon, you would be covering Newman (Brock Rude and Steve Davis) and Sterling (Charlie Bishop). There is a wealth of wrestling tradition in this area and we are making every effort to return the "tri cities" to it's former glory. Fortunately, I think wrestling is on an upswing in this area.

I think that you will find that local fans of the sport cheer equally for the success of our area wrestlers, regardless of the school they attend. The more wrestlers we can get to represent our area at state, the better.

Just my two cents. Good luck with your decision.
Old 08-18-2009
Olympian

Best wishes with your decision

Shannon, you know that I've always been a 'fan from afar' of your work. I'm not sure of the particulars, and make note of Mr. Twisters admonishment that 'its tough out there'. Any 'regular paying job' is a blessing, and if that's what is next in life for you, then SV will be very blessed to have you. You are not just a 'worker' or 'reporter'. You are an innovator with true passion for your trade. I'm sure that you are not just a 'one sport guy' either, and that you will add enthusiasm and energy to the paper -- something all too rare these days.

I'd negotiate for the freedom to continue your 'freelancing' as long as you can do so without interference with the SV publication. Keep building that 'wealth of experience'.

And, you have something that no one else that applies will have -- A WELL DEFINED AND VOCAL FOLLOWING. People know your work, and the Archives of Illinois Matmen are proof positive that when you write, readers flock to your articles and leave hungry for more. Keep up the good work and good luck on your application.
Old 08-19-2009

Please come be our sports editor! Your work is great and wrestling is definitely on the upbeat in the Sauk Valley. That paper always covers basketball and wrestling always takes a back seat. Our small communities love their high school sports and could definitely use someone of your knowledge to help wrestling continue to thrive in the SV area. Please do consider making the move! FYI There are some pretty darn good football teams too that rarely get credit throughout the state.
Old 09-09-2009

Go for it!

Great area, great people!

... grew up there...
Sponsored Links