Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 11-13-2005
Varsity

The Burk Blog 11/13 - Post Pointer Open

Hello Again. Today is definately one of those great rest days after a long day of wrestling. We had the Stevens Point Open all day yesterday, getting there at 6:30 am and not leaving until around 7:00 pm. We had a great day as a team, getting 7 champs. We won 125 and then 141-184. It was a great tournament in order to see how far along we are with our training and to prepare ourselves for next weekend. We also had many other placewinners throughout the different weight classes.

I think that I wrestled well for my first official collegiate matches. I won my five matches by the scores of 9-1, 12-4, 5-1, injury default, and 8-2. I opened up and moved much better yesterday than I did throughout the wrestle-off process. I was not nearly as nervous at all and just had fun wrestling in a tournament again. It also felt nice wrestling in a tournament with Danny again, something we have not done since state my freshmen year.

Now, we just have to prepare ourselves mentally and physically for next weekend. Some of us have some minor injuries/soreness to get over, but we all should be fine. The Kaufman Brand Open should show how tough our guys are compared to the best in the country. I will be wrestling in the 20-and-under division, but will definately be interested in what goes on in the Open division. It's gonna be a cool thing warming up and wrestling on the same mats as a lot of the best guys in the country. Hopefully I don't get caught up in it too much.

After next weekend, we will have almost 2 weeks off until our next meet against Northwestern, which is our showcase meet here on Thursday, Dec. 1st. It should be a great dual, as each of us have young teams with a lot of talent.

Well, I am gonna go now. I will write again probably next Sunday, which is also my big 19th Birthday. I hope all is well with all of you and I hope all is going well with the first weeks of high school practice. Peace!!!

P.S. - Go Bears!!!!

Last edited by admin; 11-13-2005 at 03:07 PM.
Old 11-14-2005
Junior Varsity

Great job this weekend Duke...

From listening to Coach Grant's interview on this site, he said that he intended to redshirt all the true freshman. Is that the plan as of right now?
Sponsored Links