Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-07-2018
Junior Varsity

Rules on weather for sectionals

What happens if the weather cancels school on Friday? Does that push anything back? I see some areas possibly getting some significant snow Thursday night I& friday. A bunch are traveling south to Alton for example where the weather won’t be a factor down there, but the schools closing limit them from going down there?
Not sure the rules
Old 02-07-2018
Varsity

Hopefully they move them to all day Sat or Sat & Sun.Looking like 2-4 inches friday its not looking good.
Old 02-07-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublelegfor2 View Post
What happens if the weather cancels school on Friday? Does that push anything back? I see some areas possibly getting some significant snow Thursday night I& friday. A bunch are traveling south to Alton for example where the weather won’t be a factor down there, but the schools closing limit them from going down there?
Not sure the rules
I'm pretty sure the IHSA has no rules regarding that. Each district may have its own policy, and the policies for in-season and postseason are probably different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calotofwrestling View Post
Hopefully they move them to all day Sat or Sat & Sun.Looking like 2-4 inches friday its not looking good.
Good grief, are we that wimpy now about a little snow? 2-4 inches is not a "significant" amount. Its a nuisance at best. This isn't Atlanta, schools are not going to be shut down for it. Leave a little earlier; perhaps the start time can be delayed an hour or 2 to allow for added travel time.

All day Saturday will not work. A wrestler winning his first match and losing the quarter who then gets to the 3-4 match has to compete 6 times; National rules limit a competitor to 5 per day.
Old 02-07-2018

Per Sycamore AD, they may push their tournament back 1 hour. Schools will know by tomorrow EOD. IHSA wants it to stay a 2 day event per Sam Knox. I can only speak for the 2A Sycamore sectional though.
Old 02-07-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachEd08 View Post
Per Sycamore AD, they may push their tournament back 1 hour. Schools will know by tomorrow EOD. IHSA wants it to stay a 2 day event per Sam Knox. I can only speak for the 2A Sycamore sectional though.

2 day event because of bracket size or to charge 2x for admission? Somebody should let Sam know he can just raise the admission fee and do it in one day. I am sure parents would be more than happy to avoid traveling both days. Now if your sectional, like some regionals span 100 miles or more I suppose a hotel stay would be an option.
Old 02-07-2018
Junior Varsity

I seen they’re calling for 8-12” in the Chicago area. I would rather my sons team leave Thursday night (going to Alton) to avoid it all together, but not sure if rules mandate showing up to school for an hour or whatever. Then if schools are closed anyway would it Matter. I’m sure the schools are looking at options but any insight helps.
Old 02-07-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
2 day event because of bracket size or to charge 2x for admission? Somebody should let Sam know he can just raise the admission fee and do it in one day. I am sure parents would be more than happy to avoid traveling both days. Now if your sectional, like some regionals span 100 miles or more I suppose a hotel stay would be an option.
It has to be 2 days due to bracket size; as I said above, if a wrestler wins a first round match and loses the quarterfinal (Friday night), he will wrestle 4 more times on Saturday to get through the consolation bracket (including the 3-4 match). That's 6 total, and National rules have a 5 match per day limit.

It does happen, the young man who eliminated my son 7 years ago did just what I described and I'm sure it happens several times every year.
Old 02-07-2018
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doublelegfor2 View Post
I seen they’re calling for 8-12” in the Chicago area. I would rather my sons team leave Thursday night (going to Alton) to avoid it all together, but not sure if rules mandate showing up to school for an hour or whatever. Then if schools are closed anyway would it Matter. I’m sure the schools are looking at options but any insight helps.
That could be, but is that all going to fall before they would leave? Or is it the cumulative amount spread out over Friday and Saturday?

My guess is Alton will push back the start time to 6 pm to give all teams more time to get there. Teams should leave earlier in the day if possible.

Alternates should consider strongly consider going, especially if they have teammates attending.
Old 02-07-2018
hawkeye 4 life

One year for dual state it took us 8 hours to drive from mount Carmel to Bloomington. It was like an ice rink the whole way.
Old 02-07-2018
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdad View Post
I'm pretty sure the IHSA has no rules regarding that. Each district may have its own policy, and the policies for in-season and postseason are probably different.

Good grief, are we that wimpy now about a little snow? 2-4 inches is not a "significant" amount. Its a nuisance at best. This isn't Atlanta, schools are not going to be shut down for it. Leave a little earlier; perhaps the start time can be delayed an hour or 2 to allow for added travel time.

All day Saturday will not work. A wrestler winning his first match and losing the quarter who then gets to the 3-4 match has to compete 6 times; National rules limit a competitor to 5 per day.
Its not about being wimpy(imagine your a real badass) if schools close some districts wont allow vehicles on the road to drive them its about liability.Wouldnt be fair to kids that couldnt make it.
Sponsored Links