Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-03-2019
double down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
I think the large teams with some elite kids, are in most part healthier for the sport than a small elite team. Many times a Dad who wrestled will get his kid out there, but then it is a friend of that kid going out just because they are friends ends up becoming the elite wrestler. The pool of kids who's dad wrestled is probably not a problem, it is the other market that is more elusive. Wrestling has a market opportunity with football and the CTE issue. Ironically though, a pro-wrestling football coach is one of the sports best ally's. That used to be a given, it is not anymore.
your point of a pro-wrestling football coach is spot on. you wanna know whats up at SCN, its an anti-wrestling football coach, just go back the last few years and see how many kids they have over 182 lbs for a football team that goes deep every year in the playoffs. so many coaches want to horde athletes and specialize....
Old 02-03-2019
Junior Varsity

Reavis only ended up with 7 teams, 3 weights everyone qualified and another four weights with 4 wrestlers. No weight had 7 entries.
Old 02-03-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Clearly View Post
A big problem, as I see it, is that wrestling has become such a specialized sport - meaning that 'if you want to be a top level wrestler, you HAVE to go all year' (I know that is not true in EVERY case but....) and there are kids who cannot, and will not, make that commitment.

Some of the coaches are to blame for this mindset as well as some of the parents.

There are kids who want to play football or soccer, baseball or track or even band or theater, but some coaches (or parents) will discourage them from those other activities.
I'm sure the same is true for other sports, they are all becoming so specialized - all or nothing - and I see it taking a lot of kids away from the sport(s).

I also see a lot of kids not wrestling (or playing other sports) because they aren't on varsity, so they give up on it - where, as most of us know, you need numbers in the program and practice room to push those guys on varsity to elevate the entire team.
Which is another reason why the private schools are pulling away from (most of) the public schools, especially in wrestling, they can get more kids out - through their various ways - and those kids are (generally) of a higher calibre, overall, than what the public schools can draw from.

But that is an argument for another thread - nevermind, that subject has been beaten to a pulp...
I've also seen coaches chase away the kids who don't want to do it all year round. The kids who are happy being on varsity and winning a few matches and don't strive to be a state champ. Those are the kids who for most teams fill out the majority of line ups and I've seen coaches chase them away or push them to quit.
Old 02-03-2019
Varsity

just the facts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fockerized152 View Post
i've also seen coaches chase away the kids who don't want to do it all year round. The kids who are happy being on varsity and winning a few matches and don't strive to be a state champ. Those are the kids who for most teams fill out the majority of line ups and i've seen coaches chase them away or push them to quit.
bingo!!!!!
Old 02-03-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeMG View Post
your point of a pro-wrestling football coach is spot on. you wanna know whats up at SCN, its an anti-wrestling football coach, just go back the last few years and see how many kids they have over 182 lbs for a football team that goes deep every year in the playoffs. so many coaches want to horde athletes and specialize....
This is exactly whatís going on! Football coaches are telling their players that if they play another sport they wonít get playing time or scholarships. Why a coach would not want his lineman literally blocking for six minutes continuously it is beyond me
Old 02-03-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by formersomeone View Post
Reavis only ended up with 7 teams, 3 weights everyone qualified and another four weights with 4 wrestlers. No weight had 7 entries.
I donít care how many students are in theses CPS schools.

The IHSA should look at these schools and realize that wrestling is not a big sport and should put them in 1A.
Old 02-03-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
This is exactly whatís going on! Football coaches are telling their players that if they play another sport they wonít get playing time or scholarships. Why a coach would not want his lineman literally blocking for six minutes continuously it is beyond me

I think way too much blame is placed on football. It is more parents burning their kids out in IKWF have them wrestle year round an cut weight when they are 10. It leaves a bad taste in a kids mouth and they rebel when they get to high school.
Old 02-03-2019
eazymoney

Why 1A?

Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidehawkeye View Post
I donít care how many students are in theses CPS schools.

The IHSA should look at these schools and realize that wrestling is not a big sport and should put them in 1A.
Why should they be put in 1A? There were several 1A regionals that had more participants than some 3A and 2A regionals. How does eliminating them entirely get more kids in 3A and 2A regionals?
Old 02-03-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by eazymoney View Post
Why should they be put in 1A? There were several 1A regionals that had more participants than some 3A and 2A regionals. How does eliminating them entirely get more kids in 3A and 2A regionals?
Probably in reference to average competitiveness level. Some 1A Champs can beat the 3A, but on the most part the more horses to choose from the more competitive. But that would likely not drive up numbers in those cases either way.
Old 02-03-2019
Varsity

Administration, athletic directors, and parents need to be more involved in football and wrestling coaches are pushing or encouraging student-athletes not to be involved in other sports or activities. If this is the line that mentors/coaches are leading student-athletes coaches should be held accountable to administration.

From research to public opinion students should know that might not be the best option/approach. Being involved in after-school activities have so much to offer as well as keeping students on track academically and staying out of rift raft. Not too many kids are going to walk into a wrestling room (even if they can find the room). Coaches and administration have to lead them there.

Wrestling as we know has so much more to offer students which will translate later in life. Why are not more coaches reaching out to more kids to wrestle with this line of benefits? Having a kid develop, set and accomplish goals and being part of a team and possibly have a little success whipping some kids butt is good stuff!

Not everyone is going to be a 3x state place winner in wrestling, but developing a kid and having him reach goals is a pretty special too. I believe there is no excuse why every private school can not fill a full wrestling roster.

Administration and athletic directors I believe should be held accountable when teams cannot fill full rosters/teams. What are other peoples thoughts on this? To me, it seems so easy and effortless. (IKWF, IESA, Sign-up tables, Flyers, Reach out to elementary/middle school, contact parents build relationships with community members)

I teach at an elementary/middle school and not one time in the past 11 years has the local high school wrestling coaches ever sent a thing about wrestling. When I started I even inquired about wanting to start a wrestling program. (even though I never wrestled a day in my life) My principal and athletic directors shot it down so fast… Because of mat space taking up to much room. You would have thought I asked them to drink my warm piss. Sad!

SCN- I hope something will change in the recent future. They got to state with a blown call and now think they can hang with LA of the world. Hopefully, they can look at the bigger picture. They did have a stud RB which they didn’t feed him the ball, get that kid on the mat, strong and super athletic.

Fargo
Sponsored Links