Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-16-2019
Wrestling Media

A note from the refs

FIRST Let me say Don’t kill the Messenger, ME....

Nate Kessen, Multiple Time State Finals Official sent me this text so I am sharing his thoughts...He along with other officials have been reading your comments Illinois Wrestling Fan....

Tell all the know it all’s on Matmen they can reach out to me personally. I can set them up for their first year as an IHSA wrestling official. I will make sure they have a free IHSA license, free IWCOA membership with free clinic, free 8 hours of training on top of clinic, free test review class, and a free uniform to start with. No excuses.

Papa Bear and all the anonymous guys too.

Then, we can see new refs at the state tournament because they obviously have it all figured out and will be God’s gift to officiating.

Some other stats for them.

5 of the officials are working their first ever Individual State Finals.
1 official is working his second finals.
3 others are working their fourth finals.

To this:

The other 9 working have been on the state floor on and off for the past 15 years plus. But, like you mentioned, their ratings put them in the top 36 in the state. Which puts you at the Individual or dual team finals, depending on rotations.

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 02-16-2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old 02-16-2019
Olympian

Best post ever! I am a big fan of that old saying, I am from Missouri, show me!
Old 02-16-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

I would suck at the job (mostly do to not having the time to put into it to do it to my best ability) so I didn't take it. Some others should use such discretion.

It's a tough job, I get it. But some of the calls were not worthy of state level officiating. If Nate or any other official feels a certain type of way about being criticized, you are in the wrong profession.

Last edited by PapaBearSLIM; 02-16-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Old 02-16-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Best post ever! I am a big fan of that old saying, I am from Missouri, show me!
Just because I either don't want to do or would also suck at your job does not make it ok to suck at your job or make you beyond criticism.

The, "then you do it" response to criticism is beyond weak and deflects from the real issue.
Old 02-16-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

And while we're handing out freebies give these guys protractors. 45% lol
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
And while we're handing out freebies give these guys protractors. 45% lol
A speed square.

Then they wouldn't even have to look for 45 degrees.
Old 02-16-2019
Shikellamy Braves

I'm not interested in being an official... nor am I interested in their cry baby attitude toward those who challenge their work on the mat. There are two of you on each mat... get it right!
Old 02-16-2019
World Champ

Sounds like the ref needs a hug!
Old 02-16-2019
Varsity

I also don’t want to ref, but I expect a more consistent approach at the state tournament.

Do you guys (Refs) look at the film at the end of the season and go over matches/calls?

With that, do/could add coaches throughout the state reviewing film together and get different perspectives to be more consistent.

Wrestling is the hardest sport to ref! You know that!

I am not attacking or blaming a loss/win on anyone.

In the rules.. Is there a difference in high school wrestling and college wrestling?

Slap that mat!
Old 02-16-2019
Junior Varsity

Smile Feedback Rich Environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
I would suck at the job (mostly do to not having the time to put into it to do it to my best ability) so I didn't take it. Some others should use such discretion.

It's a tough job, I get it. But some of the calls were not worthy of state level officiating. If Nate or any other official feels a certain type of way about being criticized, you are in the wrong profession.
You seem to be passionate about the sport, the rules, and their application so maybe you would actually make a great official? You don't know until you try, hence my message to Andre' and this post. I technically don't have the time either with 3 little kids and a very busy professional career, but I love this sport and make the time.

I don't think the criticism bothers any of the officials that are working. Most probably never even see the criticism on these threads themselves. Free speech is a beautiful thing, I would never challenge that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarion167 View Post
I'm not interested in being an official... nor am I interested in their cry baby attitude toward those who challenge their work on the mat. There are two of you on each mat... get it right!
Don't know who has a cry baby attitude? Most of the guys working were high school and/or college wrestlers (there are many state qualifiers, place winners, and even some state champions among the group you see in Champaign & Bloomington). Many of us coached at one point or another as well! We don't mind being challenged, it comes with the territory. Sure, there are rules at the venues regarding how a coach can and cannot challenge a call, how a fan must behave, etc. And, yes, the goal is to get the call right! That is the #1 point emphasized when we teach at the officials clinics.

It's unfortunate you aren't interested in being an official. THAT is the problem! Many others aren't interested either. Hence the motivation for the thread!

Give me a shout fellas, let's get you signed up!
Sponsored Links