Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IHSA 3A

Old 02-19-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperDuck! View Post
106 3rd place match 6 or 7 penalty points, 160 semis instantaneous takedown, and the stalemates/ 4 steps back=no stalling
refs took over matches = non bueno
That 3rd place 106 match was terrible. That ref completely took over the match. The PE kid was the aggressor the entire match and got hit with at least 4 stallings (maybe 5 or 6?). And the takedown at the end was garbage. Not saying the Lockport kid shouldn't have won but the ref should be embarrassed with himself.
Old 02-19-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior00 View Post
That 3rd place 106 match was terrible. That ref completely took over the match. The PE kid was the aggressor the entire match and got hit with at least 4 stallings (maybe 5 or 6?). And the takedown at the end was garbage. Not saying the Lockport kid shouldn't have won but the ref should be embarrassed with himself.
Everyone at my school is talking about this one. Anyone have video? was it the semis or 3/4th?
Old 02-19-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just get one View Post
I've waited a couple of days because I wanted to voice my disappointment with clarity and not sound like a coach who feels the officials maliciously made calls against my wrestlers as I'm sure that wasn't the case. Before I go on I'd like to congratulate the two kids and their coaches as they performed outstanding in both semifinal bouts (160 &HWT) they showed a ton of fortitude and grit that any coach/parent would be proud of so hats off to them. I preach to our kids that bad calls are part of the game (not just wrestling but in life) So it's not a perceived bad call that had me outraged with how the matches were officiated but that they (the refs ) were widely inconsistent with judgment calls and interpretation of the rules. And I'm not talking about as a group but as individuals. I'm reluctant to accuse anyone of bias because it's impossible to judge intent I'm not a mind reader,but it seems plausible that in the heat of the moment while under what might be unfair scrutiny from fans and coaches in attempt to gain control or respect the officials insert themselves in matches by making calls that they don't normally make. This is the problem I believe coaches have not that a ref blew a call.It can be maddening as it's impossible to prepare for how a ref may feel. If an action is deemed stalling in the last 30 seconds then it should be the same in the first 30 seconds. If you wait 5-8 seconds in a scramble type situation making sure of control to award a takedown the same should be done in a state semifinals overtime match. I could go on about the HWT match as I feel it was much worse but I won't because the point is we as coaches aren't asking you to be perfect and make all the right calls just to be more consistent and less intrusive do to ego or feeling like fans/coaches/athletes are trying to show u up. One last thing it's a bit of a cop out to imply that unless people are willing to officiate then the refs are above criticism. There are plenty of professions that most people can't do ,but are and should be critical of. Doctors, lawyers, mechanics and politicians just to name a few. So like someone said earlier we can and should do better. This is why I didn't blow up at either set of officials which would have been me acting from my ego and that's what I'm pleading for officials not to do.
Just watched both matches on track. Agree on the 160, the OT takedown was ridiculous. In the HWT match what exactly do you take issue with? The stalling calls were warrented as your wreslter backed up for most of the match. Probably could have been hit again. As soon as the other wrestler backed up he too was hit. Both wrestlers had a takedown on the edge called as two and then reversed and waved off. The final take down attempt at the end of the match the clock was clearly at zero and they are side by side in whizzers.
Old 02-19-2019
Junior Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post
Everyone at my school is talking about this one. Anyone have video? was it the semis or 3/4th?
I just watched it. What a travesty. If you go to archive videos on trackwrestling it will ask you for a password. There are always knuckleheads that use "wrestle" "wrestling" or "123456" as their password.

Enjoy. Ref literally killed any chance Castleberry had to win the match. He took all the shots, was the aggressor the entire match and got penalized for it with stupid calls.
Old 02-19-2019

The ref in the 3rd place 106 match was terrible. I have seen him do a good job reffing in the past. The bias in the match was surreal. There had to be something going on personally in that match. It was sad to see the ref interfering that blantantly.
Old 02-19-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotdog25 View Post
The ref in the 3rd place 106 match was terrible. I have seen him do a good job reffing in the past. The bias in the match was surreal. There had to be something going on personally in that match. It was sad to see the ref interfering that blantantly.
I rewatched thanks to the great tip on 123456. I originally thought there was some interesting/bad calls, but the video doesn't lie. Did we watch the same match? On two occasions the ref chose to call a stall instead of fleeing the mat. I can see where he makes that call, but I'd have called a flee on both (same amount of points would be awarded). On the push out when Castleberry is on top, he lifts him, walks off the mat then returns. Pretty straight forward. On the 2nd one I'd have called a flee he gets slidby and is about to give up a takedown. Instead of circling out to avoid the takedown he backed straight off the mat.

I wasn't down there, but the only call I'm still not sure on is the takedown. There is a cradle locked up and Castleberry is on his hip. That does meet the criteria even if the ref was slow to award it.

The hardest part of this match for me to believe is that Castleberry wasn't given a flagrant misconduct for punching a kid and instead was just DQ'd out of the match and not the tournament.
Sponsored Links