Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 6 Days Ago
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay31 View Post
So apparently there will be no redshirt for Luffman. I for one am glad to see it because that has been a painful spot at the end of duals more often than not ever since Brooks Black was done, no disrespect intended to Deuce.

The Deuce? You know that the one they called Deuce was always on the loose, don't you? Love the Deuce! He was exciting to watch. Luffman is gonna win a lot of matches though. He's super smart and technical and has a wrestling mat in his basement.

This is a tough, tough conference for heavyweights, so I'm glad he's off to a 5-0 start. We have a lot of exciting young guys, and he's right there at the top of that list.

WARILLINI!!!
Old 6 Days Ago
Junior Varsity

I agree that it was a nice finish for the big boys, but again the lack of depth is still an issue and Barone and Gunther were not good.
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by 626386 View Post
I agree that it was a nice finish for the big boys, but again the lack of depth is still an issue and Barone and Gunther were not good.
Joudah is flat out bad. Barone and Gunther have failed to progress during the time I have followed them with the Illini. They have continued to do (or failed to do) the same things over and over again. Barone started strong last year and I was actually hopeful that he had turned the corner. Wrong. But, there is still time to get things going in the right direction and there will be many opportunities to prove me wrong.

I'm optimistic about Cardani, Piotrowski, Duncan, Carr, the Braunagel brothers and Luffman. Good to see Luffman's redshirt pulled as the team really needs him. With these 7 guys in the lineup we have a chance to beat, or at least compete with, most of the teams on our schedule (OSU and PSU notwithstanding).
Old 6 Days Ago
Olympian

ILLINI video against Chattanooga should be up in a couple of minutes. UTC won four matches against Army. It came down to the heavyweights. The veteran Army big put that dual away.

By the way, the guys that Wrobo-cop and Luffman beat were #15 and #17 respectively on wrestlestat.com.

GO ILLINI!!!
Old 6 Days Ago
Olympian

ILLINI with the easy win against Chattanooga. The Mocs gave Army a good battle, so they're not quite the pushover you'd expect. The kids from Tennessee were especially good at running back to the circle and giving their ILLINI opponent a gratuitous shove after a stalemate call.

Cardani beat the wrestlestat #20 guy, which was very nice to see. Pio is just super solid this year. Was he dropping too much weight last season? We Rachal had a nice win filling in for Duncan. Barone owned his guy. Luffman almost gets the tech. Brawny2 and Guns won.

Next weekend, the Mocs will go to Iowa to face The Brando and Brando Show.

WARILLINI!!!
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Piotrowski was the most solid along with Luffman. I think that will be a very solid 125-149 once Duncan and Carr get healthy.
Old 6 Days Ago
Varsity

Weekend observations:
It is nice to finally see Cardani and Luffman at the ends of the lineup. There cant be many major programs that have 2 hometown guys like that. Congrats to the coaches for not letting those 2 go somewhere else.
The Braunagels are already team leaders and just RS Freshmen. I noticed they always shake hands with the opposing coach after their matches—the lost art of sportsmanship.
It obviously requires everybody healthy but with 2 backups in against Army the Illini were still just beaten by bonus points. Still miss those 5 points every time from Imar but Luffman looks like he could get there.
I thought the refs did a good job calling 30 straight matches.

Last edited by jay31; 6 Days Ago at 08:19 PM.
Sponsored Links