Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

[QUOTE=Blonjuan44;555424]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeyboo View Post
What is going on in Orland? The Pioneers were a well established program that helped some sandburg teams win state as a feeder. Then contenders step up and get known very well and grab the high school for practices. Now their is third program? Where will this team practice?[/

Pioneers, evolved from the Rebels etc, not going to get into the details of that, but in theory you get closer competition in wrestling partners the larger the club. Maybe some of these neighboring clubs could put politics aside and have combined practices or something. A club with longevity is difficult to achieve, there has to be people to pick up the mantle. Not all HS coaches necessarily agree with feeder coaches. No doubt some great kids at Sandburg came from Pioneers, but many of State Champs came from other sources. Many moved in come HS time. Teams like Eagle One that has 100% state champs as a feeder.
TOP Tinley, Orland, Palos Rebels. How do I know that? Number one, I am a student of history. Number two, those were the scrub uniforms for the pioneers way back when. And you had to reach quick to get a decent one. And I wore a bunch. I agree with you that the competition in the room is what makes a club. Wouldn’t it be great if the three clubs could come together under any circumstances really. I mean, let the kids wrestle. In real big clubs, there’s a lot of division anyway. I will say this, because it is the oldest established name. They should be called the Orland Park Pioneers!
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Varsity

[QUOTE=oldpioneer;555446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
TOP Tinley, Orland, Palos Rebels. How do I know that? Number one, I am a student of history. Number two, those were the scrub uniforms for the pioneers way back when. And you had to reach quick to get a decent one. And I wore a bunch. I agree with you that the competition in the room is what makes a club. Wouldn’t it be great if the three clubs could come together under any circumstances really. I mean, let the kids wrestle. In real big clubs, there’s a lot of division anyway. I will say this, because it is the oldest established name. They should be called the Orland Park Pioneers!
I believe the Pioneers still use those original uniforms. Time for a fundraiser. Maybe a tournament or 2 or 3. Would be great to see the Pioneers rebuild to their glory days, the talent is definitely in that area. Make Pioneers Great Again
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

[QUOTE=wallball;555467]
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpioneer View Post

I believe the Pioneers still use those original uniforms. Time for a fundraiser. Maybe a tournament or 2 or 3. Would be great to see the Pioneers rebuild to their glory days, the talent is definitely in that area. Make Pioneers Great Again
Dear sir, You are sadly mistaken. We had two sets of newer uniforms in the 80s. I’m not sure you realize how low on the totem pole I was! First string got the good uniforms, second string got the second tier. I was 11th string! LOL
Old 3 Weeks Ago
Olympian

[QUOTE=oldpioneer;555446]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonjuan44 View Post
My sons wrestled with 3 different youth clubs, I did not switch them - they followed friends with parents who thought a different club would make their kid better - not the issue. All 3 were large clubs, one of the clubs would occasionally practice with another club. Wrestling can be an extreme sport, the problem can be when parents insist on extreme measures upon average 9 year olds. Of the 3 clubs, the one with the most kids going the farthest (State Champs) was the most chill of the three, but obviously good coaches. (My kids HS would not allow them to use the moves they used there. Different philosophy.) Would throw in stuff for fun, didn't care who wore headgear etc. Possibly because the club was just a base, the higher end work was pursued in the off-season. I never saw any issues, but was not in the inner circle of that club. I believe the clubs that got smaller were the ones that would scare away new kids due to stories of extremism. Probably better off studying how big clubs keep the numbers high than how to numbers are lost. I assume a good relationship with the GRADE SCHOOL GYM COACHES (overlooked source) youth football & soccer coaches help. Its not what drove those kids away, its what drew them to neighboring teams. IESA has a built in advantage in this regard, not that much people have much of a choice.

Last edited by Blonjuan44; 2 Weeks Ago at 11:59 AM.
Old 18 Hours Ago

I heard that Contender Wrestling is closing down so Orland will remain with 2 clubs. From what I understand, all of the coaches and nearly all the wrestlers are under this new name, Elevate. This sounds like more of a change in management rather than a whole new club. I believe that the former head of Contender Wrestling must have got into trouble AGAIN with the IKWF because I haven't seen him at a single meet all last year and now his club left him. Anyone hear anything?
Sponsored Links