Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Wrestle with Mr. Twister

Old 01-17-2009
Wrestling Media

Compairing college to high school - Part Seven

By Andre’ Morgan
Premiumpreps.com / illinoismatmen.com

While at the NWCA National Duals in Cedar Falls, Iowa, I talked with a few selected Illinois wrestlers that wrestle for various teams around the United States. I became interested in what differences they had noticed in high school and college wrestlers. I am doing a series of feature articles on this subject.

Clayton Rush – Coe College (Aledo) - 4x IHSA State Qualifier, 2x State Champion, 2x All State, 3x IKWF All State, 1x NCAA All American, NWCA ’08 National Duals Outstanding Wrestler, currently ranked 2nd @ 125 lbs

1. What are the differences you have noticed between h.s. and college wrestling?
“Matches are a lot faster. They (matches) happen at a faster pace. There is more hand fighting and scrambling up and down the lineup.”

2. In what ways do you train different from the way you did in h.s.?
“In season we have two or three days of hard training, then we slow down as we get closer to competition day. In the off season training is all about mat time-getting as much as possible. It is important to get your pumps (weight lifting) in too. In h.s. I did not lift. I only lifted during the summer with the football team. In college we lift 2-3 times a week as a team. It is very important to get your pumps in.”

3. Were you prepared for the college level coming out of h.s.?
“I would like to think so. I have made a lot of gains since high school. I had to work a lot on getting off the bottom and hand fighting.”

4. Describe the differences in the officiating in college?
“College refs count pins really fast. The refs let you wrestle on the edge a lot more. It seems you can be on the edge and if you get a toenail in they will score it. It seems the refs are a lot more consistent.”

5. What differences in the team aspect do you notice between h.s. and college?
“I am a lot closer with my team than in I was with the high school team. In college all ten starters have the same goals. We are like brothers – family.”

6. How good is Illinois wrestling compared to the wrestlers from other states you face?
“I say we are one of the top states. You always here people compare us to Iowa and other states but if you look at what we have done in recent years with the greco and freestyle (national championship) teams we are right there with any state. Look at any division of college wrestling on any team and there is a good Illinois wrestler on it. I believe we are one of the best states.”

7. Describe balancing the academics and athletics of college versus h.s.?
“I think you have to get into a daily routine. I run two miles in the morning, then I go to class all day, have practice, dinner and then spend two hours in the library. Sometimes if I get done early I might go out with my teammates. It is important to have downtime too.”

Last edited by admin; 01-18-2009 at 05:45 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 01-17-2009
Steamer Grad 1997

Send a message via Yahoo to steamerfan21303
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR TWISTER View Post
7. Describe balancing the academics and athletics of college versus h.s.?I think you have to get into a daily routine. I run two miles in the morning, then I go to class all day, have practice, dinner and then spend two hours in the library. Sometimes if I get done early I might go out with my teammates. It is important to have downtime too.
I think the last part of Claytons repsonse is very important. You need the downtime, to remind yourself why you are doing what your doing. College academics and athletics is like a job, and you need to have a release from those worlds from time to time. I am not saying go out and party like a rock star-but time away from the classroom and the mat/field/court is a good thing once in a while.