Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

The Life

I saw a couple comments on an old blog of mine, plus people have said, "I love reading the blogs....why dont you do them anymore?" so I figured now would be a good time to do so. In the past, the blogs were about my wrestling career and then some updates on where my life has gone since my career at NIU has ended. For this one, I am just going to randomly talk about a few topics and go from there. Some of you will probably get bored with this, but those that are true fans of the sport and are interested in my thoughts might actually be entertained.

To begin with, as a carry over from the last blog I did, I am still coaching and teaching at my old high school, Peoria Notre Dame. Most people in the wrestling community have rarely heard of us, and if you have, it is probably because you knew me, Duke, or Jim Comfort, who wrestled at Illinois. Yes, at one point, PND had 3 kids wrestling Division 1.....kind of ironic because a lot of the best schools in the state rarely get to say that. Our soccer team, which is coached by Mike Bare (Admin) and I won the Class 2A state title this past fall. It was one of the most remarkable moments of my life, and probably Mike's as well. While I give him all the credit in the world for our success, we both put in a lot of time and effort, so it was a very proud moment. Our wrestling team has not reached that same type of success at the state level, but we are constantly improving and getting better. The kids are finally starting to realize the benefits of off season wrestling, even if it is just coming in the room and getting QUALITY workouts in. We also started a kids club, which helps a lot too. I have high hopes for our team. It is a major goal of mine, and my dads, to become the best team in our area year in and year out. That idea might have seemed far fetched a few years ago, but right now I can honestly say that I can see it happening, and possibly soon, if the kids continue to work and improve at the rate they are right now.

Duke is doing really well, too. As most of you know, he left NIU and enrolled at Iowa St. Clearly it was a tough situation at NIU, and there are some hard feelings involved, but I honestly believe that if every one knew the flat out truth, things wouldn't be as personal. Regardless, Duke moved on and has never been happier. He had a tough season this year, with injuries and what not, but still had a great time. He finished 2-2 at NCAAs, which is clearly not what he set out to accomplish, but sometimes you have to take a step back in order to take a step forward. For whatever reason, he just had a bad match at the wrong time. It happens, and I think he has used it as a positive and will continue to do so. They return all 10 starters from the third place team in the country, so will undoubtedly be looking to win the NCAA title next year. Their coaching staff is the most dedicated staff in the country I believe, and they know how to succeed and get their kids ready. Sometimes you fall short, but I fully believe they will bounce back and be the top team in the country.

Random Thoughts:
- I wish Mike Poeta the best. He is tough as nails and came so close so often. Congrats on all he has done and accomplished.
- Also wish Mark Johnson the best. From what I know and have heard, the guy is nothing but class. We need more people like him in our lives.
- Congrats to Jake Herbert. His success and attitude speak for themselves.
- Congrats to Mario Morgan and Clayton Rush (and others) - an All American at any level is an accomplishment. Now if your parents just weren't so annoying on here
- Congrats to Sean Bormet and Izzy Martinez - seriously, does every state champ HAVE to wrestle for one of these guys??
- I have mixed feelings about the three class system. My dad loves it.
- Kevin Burk is the next Dick Vitale. Seriously.
- I think high school kids cut too much weight. I will never stress weight cutting to a kid on my team. Some might say it will hurt my teams and kids, but I will never tell a kid to "cut" weight. (losing 5 lbs is not cutting)
- Does anyone else think the Cubs are a guarantee this year??
- Except the Red Sox will beat them in the World Series, 4-2.
- I think the college wrestling season should be one semester and end in mid-May. But after next year, it won't effect my life.
- How about Minooka?? Talk about home grown talent. I have a ton of respect for the programs that build their kids from youth studs to high school champs.
- Quick shout out to Edwardsville - two of my favorite high school athletes ever are coaching down there and they help run a very classy and successful program.
- Finally, how about Mike Bare? The dude has a family (3 kids!!), a job with a major corporation in America/the world, coaches a state champion soccer team, and still has time to run this website and help take Illinois wrestling to a completely new level. Sometimes I wonder if he ever sleeps - and then I remember who I am talking about and how lazy he can be

Hope you enjoy....sorry I ramble sometimes, I just get entertained with my own typing. I will try to do this more often now - maybe weekly?? Let me know your thoughts - weekly updates that are shorter?? Monthly updates that are longer?? Or, just never post again?? Your feedback is important.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

I enjoyed your post, keep them coming.

Tell your Dad I hate the 3 class system.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dondo View Post
I enjoyed your post, keep them coming.

Tell your Dad I hate the 3 class system.
Ditto for both of the above. And also tell your dad I agree with you...he is the next Dick Vitale.
Old 04-02-2009
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

Well, here is just "one" of the annoying ones! right back at ya!!! I didn't find that boring in the least, and was actually disappointed when it ended. I, surprisingly enough, have a few random thoughts of my own...imagine that!!

First, I'll bet last year's soccer season was unbelievable! Winning a state title in any sport is a true accomplishment anyone should be proud of, and I'm sure I don't speak alone when saying I was so excited to hear about it, especially when coached by 2 of Illinois' finest!! Pat yourselves on the back a few times for me!! And Michael Bare. I don't have enough time to say all the things that need to be said about him and his contributions to Illinois Wrestling. Without him and this wonderful web site, it would be a domino effect of things that wouldn't be, from just posting on here, to state DVDs, to being given the opportunity to helping out Gage park wrestling, to...the list would just go on and on. THANKS isn't enough...
Although PND is larger that Aledo, I know how difficult it can be to get kids to do ANY off season stuff. If you've gotten them to even come in and work out, my hats off to you! It's a great start and the kids will soon realize it will pay off.
I know all to well what it's like to have a bad match at the wrong time, and injuries are so much a factor. That's all I have to say about that.
The talent right now from Illinois at the DI level is amazing, and if you include all the divisions, it's even more so. I hope it continues to grow and more and more Illinois high school wrestlers pursue wrestling at a higher level. DI isn't the only option out there and I truly believe there is a fit and a place for the majority of our boys. (I am such a huge Michael Poeta fan...have been since way back in the IKWF/IWF days!!)
Speaking of IKWF, let's skip to your dad... Wow. Many years ago, although it seems like yesterday, I had the pleasure of dealing with him when I was in charge of the Kid's Open. We used PND's mats and I had to call him to okay it and get transportation, pick-up, etc... arranged. My first dealings with him, and he was great! Such a huge help with all that. I'm sure there are so many people/coaches/fans/family here in Illinois that do "behind the scene" things like that that make such a difference, but nobody ever knows just what they've done or the impact they've made. Well, I noticed...and thanks.
I was basically a stranger, and a woman in a "man's world" and he didn't talk down to me or give me the impression that he thought any less...regardless of what he may have really thought!!!! That is something I will never forget.
One last thing..."I" don't think I'm annoying!!!!
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

How can you call your Dad the next Dick Vitale? He's still got hair and I truly hope he isn't letting any wrestlers wear basketball shirts to practice. The only resemblance would be a slice of pizza in his pie hole! And then the Cubs...the ultimate losers? I'm so disappointed!!! Anyway, I don't like the 3 class system either...still wish it was only one. Congrats on the soccer title.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

The reference to Dick Vitale comes from Kev being the announcer recently for broadcasts done by IllinoisMatmen.com. He is actually pretty legit as an announcer, too. So, maybe more like a Brad Nessler??
AGD - of course you arent annoying. I enjoy using quite a bit of sarcasm generally. I think you have not only been great for this site, but also for Illinois wrestling as a whole.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

I think Duke will aa but there will probaly be a new front runner at 74 next year
Old 04-02-2009
Wrestling Media

...and here is the other annoying one.... as you know it does not bother me to be annoying at all...as I told you at state...you are my moral concious....and what makes you think that you are not annoying either...especially when you just like "Gail and myself" get annoyed with posters that you don't agree with.... I see a lot of me in you even if you don't.

The beauty in this website is it allows people to express themselves about something they like...no love...

Mike BARE is a great person for Illinois wrestling...I just wish he answered his phone once a month...LOL....

Sorry I am not feeling the Cubs...Sox fan here..but I must ask...how long will the Fukedome experiment last before you Cubs fans put the bust tag on him....
I predict your brother will AA nest year...and like you said..congrats to all of the AA's...it is hard to do on any level of college wrestling...just ask the kids that came up shoirt...

Just remember I was one of the posters that said you need to do something with your blog...I thought maybe the NIU ban was going to last forever...LOL

When you really look at Bormet and Martinez..they have really engauging personalities and they know their stuff...kids like that...but they don't HAVE all of the state champs...it just seems that way...

As far as your announcing goes you need to do more of that. One of our favorite matches to revisit from time ti time is your call on the Dvorak 2005 semi-final. good job. Maybe you don't realize you got a skill. But after working with your Dad at team state I realize where you got the talent from...LOL

Last edited by MR TWISTER; 04-02-2009 at 05:38 PM.
Old 04-02-2009
Olympian

Come on Twist, we all know the truth - The Sox have had one really good year (Champs) and about 99 terrible years, while the Cubs have been consistently mediocre for the past 100 years - consistency is key!

And I promise once I coach a kid in the state finals, Ill join the broadcast booth for the Team Duals. I promise.
Old 04-02-2009
Wrestling Media

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Burk View Post
Come on Twist, we all know the truth - The Sox have had one really good year (Champs) and about 99 terrible years, while the Cubs have been consistently mediocre for the past 100 years - consistency is key!

And I promise once I coach a kid in the state finals, Ill join the broadcast booth for the Team Duals. I promise.
59....I believe we were in the World Series...took second that time...imagine if the Cubs had one really good year...the entire Cub Nation would go totally nuts...

I hope you get a kid in the finals real soon...we can use you in the booth doing more than updates...you got skillz...