Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Rob Sherrill's Blog

Old 07-23-2011
Olympian

With seven finalists, Illinois leads Junior Freestyle by 31!

It's a good old-fashioned blowout, folks.

With an all-Illinois final at 98 pounds and another finalist at 145 before the evening session even began, four more Illinois wrestlers punched their tickets last night, giving Illinois seven finalists in this morning’s final session here at the FargoDome.

And Illinois has 20 All-Americans – count ‘em, 20. That’s a record…as far as I know.

The team tale of the tape: Illinois owns a 31-point lead, 83-52 over Iowa, which will take a solid second place with 12 All-Americans. Iowa is the only state besides Illinois with more total All-Americans than Illinois has finalists.

Matt Garelli (105) will try to repeat as Junior freestyle champion – he won last year at 98 – against the Greco-Roman champion, California state champion Johnson Mai.

Zane Richards (130), up a weight from his Greco-Roman finals appearance, faces Brandon Jeske of Virginia in a rematch of the Cadet Greco-Roman final a year ago, which Richards won.

Edwin Cooper (152) will face three-time Oregon champion Zac Brunson and Greco-Roman OW Jahwon Akui (189) will go for a double title against Devin Peterson of Wisconsin as two wrestlers going for double titles square off. It could have been a second all-Illinois final, but Peterson beat Sam Brooks in three periods in their final round robin match.

Greco-Roman champion Nkosi Moody faces Tommy Pawelski at 98 and returning Cadet National champion Brian Murphy (145) faces Brian Realbuto of New York. Those three earned their way to the finals yesterday morning.
Old 07-23-2011
COE COLLEGE KOHAWKS

Thanks so much for all the updates. What Illinois has accomplished in this off season is nothing short of amazing!
Old 07-23-2011
Varsity

The emphasis we place in Illinois on the international styles has paid off at Fargo and at the the Junior World level. (We have 4 men out of 16 spots represented on the Greco and Freestyle teams and 2 women). I am wondering if it will eventually pay off at the Senior level. As far as I can remember we do not have any men on the men's teams.. Correct me if I am wrong. I do not know about the women's teams.
Old 07-23-2011
Varsity

Congrats to all the competitors...especially the ones from Illinois!
Old 07-23-2011
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
The emphasis we place in Illinois on the international styles has paid off at Fargo and at the the Junior World level. (We have 4 men out of 16 spots represented on the Greco and Freestyle teams and 2 women). I am wondering if it will eventually pay off at the Senior level. As far as I can remember we do not have any men on the men's teams.. Correct me if I am wrong. I do not know about the women's teams.
Too early to tell. There are a lot of variables. How many of them will be committed to training for a Senior-level team - and have luck avoiding injuries - when they get that far? With only seven spots on each team (let's face it - FILA has done more to kill wrestling in this country than any American could), how many are made for one of those weights and how many are in-betweeners? With the success of the past few years, we could eventually bring numbers to the effort. The rest is up to them.
Sponsored Links