Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 08-05-2006
Olympian

The Burk Blog - Summer Time Part 2

Things have been going pretty well for the most part. I have been training hard and making a lot of progress, and still trying to stay healthy and take care of myself. We finished camps about two weeks ago. They all went alright and were enjoyable. It is fun to watch kids compete and develop under your watch, even though it was only for a short time. After camps, a couple of us jumped right into workout a bit with the JR National teams that were training here. It was good to have the camp here again this year. I enjoy watching the elite kids throughout the state compete and train with one another, outside of the high school season. Kids tend to open up a bit more in practice, so it makes for an exciting time. It was also nice to be able to workout with some of them and kind of help them out as far as things they need to be working on. The coaching staff for the freestyle team was great. They let us work out whenever we wanted and allowed us to help out anytime. It was then nice to see the kids do well out in Fargo. Some of them might not have done all they wanted, but it was still another solid performance for Team Illinois.

School starts back up in less than a month, and that means practice will be starting soon. I don't have a heavy course load this semester, so it will be nice to be able to focus a lot on training and improving. I look forward to see what kind of team we can have this coming year and hope that things fall into place. I always say that if we can stay healthy for one year, we will be a tough team to beat. SO hopefully this is the year. We shall see.

I myself have been trying REAL hard to take care of my body. Last year I went into the season with an injury and it never healed and kept me from doing some of the things I wanted to do, training wise. So this year I have been careful not to push too hard, while still pushing myself hard enough to improve and get better. So far, things are going alright. Still some aches and pains and things I worry about, but hopefully they are only minor issues and nothing serious. Either way, I really look forward to my last season, and having my brother in the same lineup as me. Duke is doing really well, and getting really big. He makes me feel tiny when we work out together, which is great for him.

With camps over, I hope to keep this more frequent again. It was hard getting time to do this during camps with everything going on and trying to get my own workouts in between sessions. But now, I am on my own watch again, having time to do plenty during the day. I hope everything is going well for everyone out there, and training is going well, too. Nice job in Fargo to everyone. It's nice to see such great representation from our state.

-Danny-

Last edited by admin; 08-05-2006 at 06:45 PM.
Sponsored Links