Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 03-05-2007
Varsity

The Burk Blog - Post MAC Tournament

Hello Everybody. I have not written one of these in the longest time, as I tried to stay away from the internet as much as possible during the season. Well, the season still has 2 more weeks left in it, but I figured that I would let people know how the season has gone and what I am up to these days.

The regular season went really well, with a few minor set-backs but also some great up-sides. At the beginning of the season, I wrestled well at times, but poor at other times. I won the Kaufman-Brand by beating a couple good guys, but struggled a little bit in Vegas, going 3-2. After working on many things, we had a couple of duals, and I had another set-back, losing to Brandvold from Wisconsin for the second time of the year. At Midlands, I felt like I put together a pretty good tournament, going 5-2, with my losses coming to Wissel and Caputo from Harvard. After that tournament, we had a few weeks off to work on our weaknesses and other things.

Our next meets were MAC duals, and we wrestled very well. We beat Buffalo and Ohio, before suffering a tough, narrow loss to Kent State, who was ranked nearly all season. After that, we beat Old Dominion and tied UNI before losing to Central Michigan. We closed out the season with 3 duals at home, in which we won all three.

And finally, the MAC tournament was upon us, and the postseason began. I had been waiting for it since I had came up here. I felt that I was ready to compete and win the conference. In my first match, I beat Chine from Kent St. 4-2 to make it to the finals. I had a battle with him in the dual meet. So, in the finals I was matched up with Christian Sinnott from Central, who had been ranked top 10 all year. I had not wrestled him in the dual, so I did not know much about him. He caught me with a nice single and rode me out afterwards, getting his riding time. Add an escape point for him, and he beat me 4-0. After the matches were over, our guys and I just had to sit and wait to hear who received the 9 wildcards. When I saw the joy on my parents face, I figured they knew, but I did not believe it until Coach Grant told me over the phone. I had reached a huge goal in my life.

Going into the national tournament, I just want to be as physically and mentally prepared as I possibly can. I want to just wrestle hard no matter who I am wrestling, and give everyone a go. I feel that I can get in there and win matches, quite possibly earning All-American status. But, I am gonna end this now. I just want to say congrats to all the IL guys who made it to nationals, plus the guys from our team: Johnny, Danny, Pat (OW of the MAC Tourney), and myself. Each of us earned it for sure, and we will see what happens in Auburn Hills. I cannot wait until the show at the Palace!

Last edited by admin; 03-05-2007 at 01:27 PM.
Old 03-06-2007
Varsity

Congratulations, you and your fellow grapplers have done very well, earning your way into the NCAA's. Good luck to you and "well done" to the all Huskies for a solid season of hard wrestling.
Sponsored Links