Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > Shannon's Blog

Old 02-05-2010
Wrestling Media

Let it all fall

My favorite month of the year -- this year, it starts tomorrow and ends on my birthday (the first few days and the last day or two are really more part of January or March as the case may be).

Wrestlers in Illinois, I don't know how many of you still read me. I know it's a little harder to split my time between states. But my thoughts are still the same.

Put simply, it's vision quest time. Time to find out all the answers. What if you don't know the questions? You don't have to.

It's very simple. Put on the singlet. Strap on the headgear. Face your opponent without fear or intimidation. Give everything you have, for 7 1/2 minutes if you must. Leave nothing to the imagination. Don't allow what-ifs to cloud your thoughts as you ride home tomorrow night. Whatever else happens, whether you move on to sectionals, pack up your gear for off-season work or next year, or move on to a future without wrestling, know that there was nothing more to give in that circle on this day.

This sport makes you great young men and women. You in turn make the sport great by not dishonoring it, by cherishing it and by giving back to it when your competitive time is done. If wrestling were easy, everyone would do it.

Good luck. I may not be able to watch as much as I did before, but I'm still watching. You're already winners. Enjoy the ride, because it never lasts as long as it should or we'd want.

Shannon
Old 02-05-2010
Varsity

Amen Shannon! And may I add my heartfelt THANKS also!
Old 02-05-2010
Varsity

That was great. I try every year to convey this to my wrestlers, but have never been able to say it as well as you just have. Good luck to all wrestlers tommorrow.