Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 02-24-2010
Olympian

Getting to know.... EXTREME CARDINAL!!!

One of the most exciting figures in our sport (outside of the athletes) was gracious enough to take some time to answer questions for my blog. EC is one of the best fans of wrestling I have ever seen and brings a flair to the wrestling world that is often missing. Some people may look at his antics as outrageous or uncalled for, but I for one enjoy watching him and enjoy having him as part of our community and on the forums. To me, he is great for the sport. One thing I really respect about him is that he tells it how it is, whether people like it or not.

He showed his true pride for wrestling by taking the time to answer my questions. His immediate response was "Sure, whatever I can do to better this sport or influence wrestlers to chase their dreams, I am all for it." I figured many people might enjoy getting a closer look at him and learning more about the man who goes by the name EXTREME CARDINAL.

DB: How did you get involved with wrestling??
EC: One day my oldest came home and asked if he could join the wrestling team at River Trails Middle School.

DB: What is your background in the sport?
EC: I wrestled 2 years in high school at Austin Community Academy, Chicago Il.

DB: What about wrestling makes you such a passionate fan?
EC: The willingness of two athletes standing toe to toe and try to impose their will on one another.

DB: What other interests do you have outside of wrestling?
EC: Boxing. I was a amateur boxer in the (CYO) Chicago Youth Organization where I compiled a record of 37-2 over 2 years.

DB: If you could change ONE thing about the IHSA state series, what would it be??
EC: Adding more injury time per bout, I think it really cost my son at this year’s series.

DB: You always seem so excited during matches - do you do that out of nervousness or just pure excitement?
EC: Pure excitement. However I was for the first time nervous while Demetrios was wrestling for the championship. Maybe it was the match, or maybe it was Max.

DB: Outside of the Hersey boys, what wrestlers do you enjoy watching the most?
EC: So many I'll just list a few... Ornoff, Fontanetta, Sabatello, Cooper, Surber, Luke Smith, Max Schneider, Blaise, Brill, Eddie Gonzalez. I like watching real wrestlers, not guys that run from challenges.

DB: If you could have dinner with 3 people in the wrestling world, who would you pick (living or dead).
EC: Of course Dan Gable my idol, Demetrios Mitchell my son, and whatever college coach that will be bringing Demetrios on board next year...lol

DB: The most influential person in wrestling for the state of Illinois is whom?
EC: Almost impossible to answer but I would have to say the wrestlers across the state. They make me love the sport as much as I do.

DB: What message would you like to send out to the entire wrestling community?
EC: I grew up in the inner city, Chicago's Westside, and my parents worked and never had time to support me in sports. So many times I am misunderstood, but I am a very proud father and just want to support my children the best I can. I never mean any harm or try to disrespect anyone. I love this sport and what it has done for me and my kids.

Last edited by admin; 02-24-2010 at 04:14 PM.
Old 02-24-2010
Junior Varsity

EXTREME CARDINAL are u juss as big of a fan watching stepfon scales wrestle as much as demetrios mitchell?
Old 02-24-2010
Junior Varsity

The first time i saw him was at the state series and was like dang. now doing these questions i can relate, my parents barely came and supported, my mom never came and my dad would come once in awhile so i know how he feels i give him mad props.
Old 02-24-2010
Olympian

I love them the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandWrestler301 View Post
EXTREME CARDINAL are u juss as big of a fan watching stepfon scales wrestle as much as demetrios mitchell?

Yes sir but we felt Demetrios should get more of the Highlight due to the fact that he is a Senior. Steph'fon has the chance to break his brothers records, and also be a 3 time qualifier.

people try too say I seperate them but I have gone to State with Steph'fon and cheered just as hard.

The only difference is Demetrios was primed and ready and it was his year, maybe Steph'fon grows up fast and decides he can be as good as we constantly tell him he is.
Old 02-24-2010

do you ever think your cheering gets out of hand.... like at conference with the Smith family for example?
Old 02-24-2010

nice than i thought

after reading so many posts this year about EC and all of his detractors - I had the opportunity to obsevre and then introduce myself to him at U of I last weekend. I must say He is definitely a proud dad and a great fan as well as a gentleman. I was pleasantly suprised and therefore I would like to say to know him changed my opinion that was formed through this season Forum posts. I wonder how many naysayers really know him? And his son is an unbelievable wrestler I can't remember the last 50+ wins wrestler,in one season, going into the Finals
Old 02-25-2010
Olympian

Cheering

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwiktkdwn150 View Post
do you ever think your cheering gets out of hand.... like at conference with the Smith family for example?

Maybe I can get a little loud but never out of hand, all I did is yell 2 when I though Luke was scored on, is that so wrong? I was not the only person to yell 2 but because I have a great set of pipes, people got offended.

I cheer for Luke just as I did at State, it shouldnt be a issue if I yell 2 against him once should it?

That's all I did is yell 2 then I was attacked, and cheering should never warrant an attack by another fan. If I were disrespecting a kid then I could understand people telling me off, but cheering it's a sport come on.
Old 02-25-2010
Junior Varsity

The ref said he heard something pop and waved the match off, which was far worse than the injury itself (In Demetrios eyes).

With this comment from the other day, I am just curious how not having enough injury time cost your son at the state series?
Old 02-25-2010
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by redskinwrestler View Post
The ref said he heard something pop and waved the match off, which was far worse than the injury itself (In Demetrios eyes).

With this comment from the other day, I am just curious how not having enough injury time cost your son at the state series?

Well the X-rays show nothing broken, so I don't know if there was a pop, but I can't question the Ref's call.

Demetrios felt that he could finish, and would have rather let Max throw him again, than to lose via injury default. Ending the match this way bothers him the most he wanted to finish, because he will never wrestling in a IHSA title match again. If there wass more injury time he could have showed the Ref he could stand on the ankle, or maybe I'm fishing.
Old 02-25-2010
Too Much to Handle

DB: If you could change ONE thing about the IHSA state series, what would it be??
EC: Adding more injury time per bout, I think it really cost my son at this year’s series.

Really? Over the new format and all the classes etc... you would let wrestlers have more injury time?

Honestly then matches would last forever and kids could take breaks.