Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > IKWF

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-27-2015
Truth is Out There's Avatar
Truth is Out There Truth is Out There is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 2,403
630 State-bound Regional Brackets will be wrestled this weekend...

Considering that there
__________________
"That which can be destroyed by the truth, should be." -- P.C. Hodgell

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon

Last edited by Truth is Out There; 12-17-2015 at 07:33 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-27-2015
Flynmaggot Flynmaggot is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,023
Yeah it is kind of sad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Considering that there are 18 regional sites -- 6 sectionals with 2 regionals each and 2 sectionals with 3 regionals each -- and 17 Novice weight classes along with 18 Senior weight classes (for a total of 35) which will advance towards a bid to Rockford as part of the IKWF State Series, that means that -- if you don't exclude a bracket or two that simply has NO ONE IN IT -- we will be wrestling a total of 630 brackets (18 regionals X 35 weight classes) with the goal of advancing wrestlers to the State tournament.

So, of those 630 brackets, how many do you think will have more than 6 wrestlers (or more than 4 wrestlers for regionals with three in the sectional) such that not everyone advances?

In other words, how many brackets will actually accomplish the job of securing the top 6 wrestlers (or 4) to advance by excluding some wrestlers via process of elimination?

I'm putting the over/under at just 63 brackets. One out of every ten is actually necessary to perform a function that you couldn't just get from running the Sectional without a Regional lead-in.

We'll know Monday...

Some kids just show up and get a ticket to state and others have to fight for their lives through a gauntlet of tough as nails wrestlers. Can't avoid it I guess unless you either have longer drives for some clubs or just use common sense and realize that some qualifiers would get stuck by the 8th place guy in another section and just disqualify them based on their brutal record. Happens every year.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-27-2015
Turbomurph Turbomurph is offline
The Lions Den
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Mackinaw illinois
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynmaggot View Post
Some kids just show up and get a ticket to state and others have to fight for their lives through a gauntlet of tough as nails wrestlers. Can't avoid it I guess unless you either have longer drives for some clubs or just use common sense and realize that some qualifiers would get stuck by the 8th place guy in another section and just disqualify them based on their brutal record. Happens every year.
I think going to super sectionals with an extra week in between IKWF state would also leave some room for weather implications and give some flex room if ever needed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-27-2015
Menok Menok is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 178
If you can't make it out of regionals and that's including midgets. Then you should really consider taking basketball or floor hockey next year.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-27-2015
Flynmaggot Flynmaggot is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,023
Not regionals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menok View Post
If you can't make it out of regionals and that's including midgets. Then you should really consider taking basketball or floor hockey next year.
Check out how many sectional brackets had four or less wrestlers last year. It should not be that easy to go to state for some and very difficult for others but like I said before really nothing you can do about it.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-27-2015
candid candid is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 238
My annual post... no reason for 5-7 year olds to wrestle regionals. They just take up space and time for the kids who can advance.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-27-2015
A boyz 3 A boyz 3 is offline
Varsity
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Plainfield illinois
Posts: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by candid View Post
My annual post... no reason for 5-7 year olds to wrestle regionals. They just take up space and time for the kids who can advance.
I agree. However if you are gonna let them wrestle, they should be part of the state series all the way through. All the neighboring states do it. It would just make sense that the state known for being a powerhouse would find a way to include all divisions. Just an observation.

Last edited by A boyz 3; 02-27-2015 at 03:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-27-2015
TappedOut TappedOut is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Plainfield
Posts: 1,635
and here i thought the "K" stood for kids....



**K...C..see..now only if i wrestled i could have been held back
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-02-2015
pcc club coach pcc club coach is offline
Olympian
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: chenoa
Posts: 1,171
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Here are the tallies on the number of brackets at each regional which actually had more than 6 kids (or more than 4 kids for the regionals with three sites). Less than a third of the brackets in Novice eliminated ANYONE while over two thirds advanced EVERYONE who showed up. At Senior, it was only 47 out of 324 brackets where any eliminations occurred. 277 brackets advanced EVEYONE in the bracket to Sectionals.
I'm sure it's happened before but we even had a Sectional Champion before one match at Regionals was wrestled. And not at one of the fringe weights down low or up top.

Over 75% of the 630 brackets we wrestled advanced everyone to the following week.

I ask every year: why do we have Regionals?

I will respond why regionals are needed. Because of the amount of (for lack of a better word), LYING, goes on at seeding meetings. This way, if a coach turns some kid who is 28-1, is the number 1 seed. And 2 kids are let's just say 25-5 and 28-4. They would be number 2 and 3. So the kid with the record of 28-1, gets hammered in the finals and gets 2nd place in the regionals. Where as, if this happens. At sectionals, the kid who lost in the regionals in the semis, gets to wrestle the kid who got 2nd , because of a inaccurate record. Thus the sectionals to me, in most situations, get the top 3 kids in the right places. However, sometimes it can work the other way. But I am hoping out loud regionals cure a lot of this problem.

Plus in another scenario. Some kids who are 25-1, only do local events. How is a kid compared to him that is 23-5, doing the elite events? We all know clubs and kids, who never wrestle a lot of matches in their own area or sectional.

Obviously there is a financial reason for it. Which we all should be ok with. No different from all our local clubs have to do a local event for our funding.

We all forget the IK, does a lot of all star teams that they pay for teams and kids to attend and provide gear. For example: Middle School Duals, Heartland Duals, Scholastic duals. Plus pay to develop wrestling in Free style and Greco.

So obviously they need to make some money. And I am sure regionals is a big source of their income.

Regionals, in terms of great wrestling and competition, is a waste of time, YES. Not in all situations. I have seen a few hammer brackets. However, a few kids may have won regionals, this weekend, may never have won a event before. And for a day, that kid got to have his time in the sun. And to me, that is GREAT. How we keep our numbers. We can't always do what is best for the elite kids.

That is my .02 Cents... Do I see your point Truth yes. However, your son is one of the Elite. Not very often is he going to be challenged at any local event. I doubt he sees much at a sectional either. Maybe I am wrong? Anyway good luck to all.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 03-02-2015
Lloyd Dobler Lloyd Dobler is offline
Kickerboxer
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 169
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth is Out There View Post
Here are the tallies on the number of brackets at each regional which actually had more than 6 kids (or more than 4 kids for the regionals with three sites). Less than a third of the brackets in Novice eliminated ANYONE while over two thirds advanced EVERYONE who showed up. At Senior, it was only 47 out of 324 brackets where any eliminations occurred. 277 brackets advanced EVEYONE in the bracket to Sectionals.
I'm sure it's happened before but we even had a Sectional Champion before one match at Regionals was wrestled. And not at one of the fringe weights down low or up top.

Over 75% of the 630 brackets we wrestled advanced everyone to the following week.

I ask every year: why do we have Regionals?
If it is the money, raise the fee for registration and skip the Regionals.

There are too many weight classes at Novice/Senior and now with IESA really hurting the regional numbers, you see the empty brackets. One north section regional had almost 200 less participants than the year before.

Solution ideas: Lower the number of weight classes so bigger brackets.

With less weight classes at Novice/Senior you can have less weight classes at dual state. Then more teams can participate in the state series. That may lead to less kids doing IESA because they enjoy doing dual meets more than tournaments.

IKWF prepares kids for high school wrestling. Yet the competitions for most teams are limited to tournaments only.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.