Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > College

Old 05-26-2019
Olympian

Jordan Burroughs versus Denis Tsargush

Burroughs' first loss to an international wrestler came to Russian Denis Tsargush in the 2014 World Championships. Tsargush won 9-2, but this was an injured Burroughs, who had an entire leg wrapped. This is what the American looked like in the match:

Tsargush was the heir to the great Russian Buvaisar Saitiev in just about every way possible. Like Saitiev, Tsargush was not an imposing figure. But he was a good tactician, and he loved the 2-on-1 Russian hold. This is a picture of Tsargush using that hold on Burroughs in the 2014 World Championships:

This makes three different Russians who have beaten Burroughs, each with a different body type and a different go-to move. All very Russian. I'm not going to do a description of the 2014 World Championship match because Burroughs was a wounded warrior, and it would be a waste of time.

The 2012 Olympics

On the other hand, Burroughs and Tsargush had a great match up at the 2012 Olympics. This was back when FILA had the possibility of three two-minute periods in a match. During that era, Tsargush and Burroughs matches always went the maximum three periods, and Tsargush always had great success with his 2-on-1, getting takedowns.

This is video of the Burroughs/Tsargush semifinal match at the Olympics in 2012. The match ended 3-1, 0-2, 2-1, so it was very competitive. (The finals against the Iranian was much less interesting and competitive; it only went two periods). Also, back at that time, everything was scored one point. A takedown was one point, an exposure was one point, and not making your bed when your Mom told you to make it was worth one point.

So 3-1, 0-2, 2-1 was actually a very action-packed match. Within seconds of the opening whistle Tsargush grabs a wrist and pulls it in so he can secure his trademark 2-on-1 hold. Burroughs tries an ankle pick with his free hand, but Tsargush knows how to defend that. He just lowers Burroughs shoulder with the 2-on-1 and puts the American off balance.

Tsargush used the 2-on-1 to jump into a single leg, and he finished it. (The beauty of the 2-on-1 is that, if you are comfortable with it, it eliminates a lot of exposure risk, and it allows you to control the balance of your opponent). Tsargush made his decision, committed totally, and then swooped in like a falcon.

continued in next post....
Old 05-27-2019
Olympian

Jordan Burroughs versus Denis Tsargush (cont.)

We left Burroughs and Tsargush early in the first period of their Olympic semifinal match with the Russian having just scored a takedown to lead 1-0. At about the 2:00 mark of the video, Burroughs gets upset that Tsargush is pushing on his face. You might have noticed that Burroughs likes to use the head-push often, but he doesn't want anybody doing it to him.

In a quick flurry near the end of the first period, it is Tsargush who succumbs to his "choleric temper" and leaves himself exposed as he clubs down on the American's arms. Burroughs shoots a double, a quick exposure with a leg lace and then a step out a few seconds later. That gives Burroughs the first period at 3-1.

In the second period, Tsargush seems like he's going for a 2-on-1 but instead uses a drag by to pull Burroughs into a single leg. He scores. Burroughs is now behind and tries a single, but Tsargush uses a whizzer to defend, which magically turns into his 2-on-1. The second time that happens, he forces Burroughs out for a step-out point. Here's Tsargush turning a whizzer into a 2-on-1 and using the leverage to force Burroughs out of bounds:

Second period goes to the Russian 2-0.

The third period has Tsargush trying the Roman Knuckle lock as a set up to a double-leg. (This must be taught by the Russians!). It doesn't work. Tsargush makes the mistake of not getting in close with his ties, and Burroughs shoots a double that scores.

They trade step outs in the last few seconds, and Burroughs escapes with the 2-1 win.

CONCLUSION

It is possible to get under the skin of Jordan Burroughs. You can't let yourself get caught up in it. That mistake left Tsargush open to attacks while he was trying to throw haymakers. Also, it might be nice to see IMAR throw in a 2-on-1 if he finds himself in a whizzer position, or he just grabs it.
Old 05-28-2019
Olympian

ISAIAH MARTINEZ VS. JORDAN BURROUGHS I

At last year's Final X, Burroughs won the spot on the world team by going 2-0 versus IMAR. The first match was a battle of step-outs. IMAR forced a step out, but Burroughs forced four step outs. The final score was 4-1.

Here is video of that first match. As you can see, within two seconds of the start of the match, they are in a collar tie. Within 13 seconds, Burroughs is standing straight up while the announcers are saying, "Jordan didn't appreciate that head tap one iota."

IMAR was too far away to take advantage of Burrough's straight-up posturing. Distance being a key in a match with him.

In the next few seconds, IMAR had a 2-on-1 and "threatened a head-pinch." At the :40 mark of the match, you can see IMAR jamming in his underhook. Burroughs is warned for passivity, and IMAR shoots in. He backs off and Burroughs does a re-attack, grabbing a single and driving IMAR and his whizzer off the mat. 1-0, Burroughs.

On the restart, IMAR immediately slips in his underhook, starts a throw by of Burroughs while grabbing his left knee. (See picture). This very nearly led to a 2-point takedown for the ILLINI legend.

Burroughs slips in a whizzer and fights off the takedown, but with the leverage and momentum gained, IMAR forces Burroughs out of bounds (see second picture) for a point. 1-1, Tied.

After the re-start, IMAR does his own Roman Knuckle locks, but the hold is given up immediately. Shortly afterwards, though, they get their fingers caught up again, and you can see Burroughs' frustration. That would be a good time to attack! Unfortunately, the ref blew his whistle.

IMAR next tries a gentle snap-down or throw by, but he doesn't throw Burroughs far enough away. In fact, Burroughs is right there ready for a re-attack (see picture). Against Burroughs, IMAR will need to be aggressive and impose his will, gentle snap-downs will only put yourself in trouble!

As you can see, the gentle snap down/throw by actually placed Burroughs in his favorite position, ready to leap frog onto an opponent's legs. Somehow, IMAR manages to fight him off long enough to hop out of bounds and only give up one point. 2-1, Burroughs.

Before the period ends, IMAR must have figured out that Burroughs will stand straight up after a head-push, as IMAR shot in quickly. He was unsuccessful, but it was a nice attempt. 1st period over.

At the beginning of the second period, Burroughs gets a step out point. It was another re-attack off an IMAR shot. 3-1, Burroughs.

With 1:51 to go in the match, IMAR hits a nice throw-by from an over-hook. (see picture). Burroughs was quick enough to square himself up, but it did place Burroughs in a position where he could've eaten the mat from a front headlock, but he slipped out.

Right there, this was very close to being a 3-3 match. IMAR underestimated Burroughs' quickness, and did not convert. Burroughs gets a final step out after another re-attack on an IMAR shot.

CONCLUSION

The match was very competitive, but it seemed that near the end, IMAR was just happy to be there. I expect that the intensity will go up exponentially for this next battle. IMAR did a great job with the head-pushes and head-taps. These flustered Burroughs and kept him at bay. He also came very close a couple of times to scoring takedowns, which would have upped the pressure on Burroughs. IMAR will need to re-calibrate for Burroughs' speed. Most importantly, he needs to be ready for Burroughs' re-attacks.

I would pull Emery Parker out of his Senior frat parties and have him attack IMAR relentlessly from his knees. Then, have another quick and strong wrestler jump in and try to push IMAR across the mat. (Everybody on their knees). If IMAR can confidently defend this position, he can beat Burroughs. At one point, Burroughs shot in a quick double, but IMAR met him at the same level and exploded Burroughs to a stop. IMAR can already defend the Burroughs double.
Old 05-28-2019
Olympian

ISAIAH MARTINEZ V. JORDAN BURROUGHS II

Fourteen seconds into the second matchup at Final X, IMAR had dug in a lefty underhook. Within 18 seconds of the start of the match, IMAR had used the underhook to drive Burroughs off the mat (see picture) for a point. 1-0, IMAR.

Jordan didn't like giving up that point and shoved IMAR off of him.

With 1:36 left in the first period, Burroughs shoots a low single off a re-start and converts it for two to take the lead. Burroughs worked for the leg lace and got it for 4 more exposure points. 6-1, Burroughs. The period ends with no further action.

Within 4 seconds of the start of the second period, IMAR has dug in a lefty underhook. Burroughs gets a step out. 7-1, Burroughs. It's another re-attack that leads to a Burroughs takedown. 9-1, Burroughs. Burroughs tries a serious attempt at a gut, but IMAR fends it off. IMAR loses his concentration, and a go-behind leads to the tech.

CONCLUSION

All but a few of Burroughs' points came off of re-attacks or jumping the whistle on a restart. You have to defend yourself at all times against him. IMAR gave up one takedown to Burroughs through a match-and-a-half of Final X. He lost his concentration, and gave up a couple of more after that.

IMAR will need to have plans in advance to go hard for a couple of takedowns of his own, especially using the short offense. Or, later in the match, he can go for a leg attack. The key will be to go hard for those attacks and commit to them; however, if Burroughs escapes, be ready to meet him at his level for the re-attack.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 06-03-2019
Olympian

The IMAR/NOLF WTT Series

I wanted to end this thread with analysis of the California State Finals match between Jesse Delgado and Isaiah Martinez, but I cannot find video anywhere. How in the world can you not have video on the internet of two NCAA 2xers meeting in a state championship final?

Instead, we will go with a more timely and relevant series of matches between IMAR and Jason Nolf. This was the best-of-three finals of the most recent World Team Trials. The matches ended with the ILLINI legend as the 2-1 winner, even though he had a last-second hiccup in round two. That makes the lifetime series between the two a pretty dominating 4-2 in IMAR's favor.

Considering that Nolf has lost about 6 matches in the last four years, that's pretty good.

The "bad ankle" claims

First, I wanted to address claims from blue and white Kool-Aid drinkers that Nolf was working off a bum ankle. I'm very skeptical. Here's my evidence: In the match that elevated Nolf to the best-of-three series, he defeated Logan Massa 7-2 and at 1:23 of this video, Nolf takes the quickest double shot I've ever seen him take from space.

If I had a bum ankle like that I'd be dancing in the Ballroom DanceSport World Finals on July 6, 2019, which you can watch on flodance.com. I'm not kidding. Flodance.com is a thing. Ballroom dancing is as combat sport as it gets, my brothers.

Match 1

IMAR dominated from the start, faking a shot and working a headpinch. Within 36 seconds, IMAR scores on a step-out by controlling the center and continually pushing Nolf back. With about 1:45 to go in the first period, IMAR secures a headlock, works his way into an underhook, adds another underhook on the other side, actually locks his hands (see picture) and walks Nolf out of bounds.

At the out-of-bounds line, Nolf tried to squirm out, but IMAR threw him to his back for four points. (This is exactly how you punish people who shoot on you; would be great to see Burroughs in this predicament).

The match was 9-0 IMAR before Nolf finally gets a takedown.

Match 2

IMAR dominated this match for 5:57, scoring in multiple ways. Nolf got a couple of step-out points, but even with those, IMAR was controlling the mat and controlling the ties. With 1:38 to go in the second period, IMAR again goes to the double underhooks, locked (see picture).

He used this hold to drive Nolf out to take a 4-2 lead. IMAR got another step-out to go up 5-2. Unfortunately, with three seconds on the clock, IMAR wasn't backing off and Nolf hits a throw.

Match 3

Things heat up quickly in the tie-breaking match. Within 12 seconds, Nolf has IMAR in a position in which Nolf usually scores (see picture). You see IMAR reaching for that ankle? Well, he gets it, and he's the one who ends up with two points (and without exposing himself).

That was a spirit-breaker for Nolf. In the next few seconds, IMAR has a single leg of his own, and he scores two. 4-0, IMAR. The ILLINI coach finishes up the first period with a step-out and another takedown. Nolf gets one takedown. 7-2, IMAR.

In the closing seconds, IMAR takes Nolf to his back once again and gets four points. A lost challenge gives him the tech fall. 12-2, IMAR.

CONCLUSION. Before the last Final X against Jordan Burroughs, IMAR had to deal with a downer. Before this next Final X, IMAR is coming off of dominating wins at the World Cup, at the US Open and in the best-of-three series at the WTT against an old foe. His confidence couldn't be higher. Although Nolf won a match at the last second, IMAR dominated every hold, and he controlled the mat. If Nolf had stayed at 70kg, he'd be wrestling Deakin for a spot on the World Team. We all know how that would end up. LESSON: Don't **** with IMAR!

GO IMAR!!!
Old 06-04-2019
Olympian

STRATEGY AND TACTICS

After reviewing all of these matches and others, strategy and tactics can be developed, but the first lesson is to always know you opponent.

Jordan Burroughs' Strengths

Speed
Reattacks
Upper body strength
Wrestling forward from his knees
Experience

Jordan Burroughs' Weaknesses

Russian-style wrestling
Choleric temper
Feeds off attacks, and can be starved of them

Starving the Reattacker

Let's take that last point first. In this video of Jordan Burroughs versus Nick Marable, the latter does jack **** for five of the six minutes. By that time, he's down by the score of 0-1.

At 4:01 of the video, Marable grabs a two-on-one hold (see picture), and Burroughs almost runs off the mat trying to get away from it. Up to that point in the match--a full 1:20 has elapsed--all Marable has done is a couple of feints and stayed low, even on his knees at times.

Marable is called for passivity in the first period and doesn't score. That period ends with Burroughs leading 1-0. The match goes on until there is one minute left. Burroughs lulled into sleep, and finally Marable attacks and means it. He gets a single and converts.

The Marable and Geduev matches teach us an important lesson. If you keep your low position and defense against his sweeping double leg, you can starve Burroughs of his reattacks. That removes an important weapon from him.

Would IMAR do this? Can IMAR do this? This may be like asking a scorpion not to sting.

To be continued....
Old 06-05-2019
Olympian

STRATEGY AND TACTICS (cont.)

Should I do reattacks or wrestling from the knees next? I think Burroughs scores more against other fellows with his reattacks than he scores on IMAR. For his bulky size, IMAR is still very quick. How many times have we seen him skip out of a leg attack from Burroughs or Nolf? So, what we'll discuss next is Burroughs' penchant for wrestling from his knees.

Burroughs' Bull Rush From His Knees

Burroughs will keep attacking from his knees across the mat. Here is a sequence that took less than 2 seconds to complete in their first Final X match:

In the midst of this attack, IMAR tried a front headlock, but that didn't slow down Burroughs. The old man from Nebraska is a quickly moving target, so it is hard to stop him.

Burroughs used this method of attack multiple times against IMAR. I think it is safe to say that Burroughs considers this to be his "go-to" move against IMAR (and against the Russians if he is losing in the final seconds of a match).

What I would suggest is that the first time Burroughs does this, threaten a cement mixer/cow catcher. Even if IMAR gives up points here, it will benefit him down the road. The analogy I would draw is to the first time IMAR wrestled Nolf. Even though Nolf won that match, IMAR put him on his back briefly, and Nolf never wrestled IMAR the same after that.

He became cautious.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 06-05-2019
Olympian

Reattacks

The next topic is reattacks. Some of the time, Burroughs will attack and then reattack before you can get your defenses back up. Other times, this is more like a counter-attack. You've tried a shot, failed, and before you know it Burroughs has leaped across the mat to snag your legs.

This is what cost World Champion Sidakov a couple of scores during the last World Championships.

Burroughs has scored lots of points internationally with his reattacks and counter-attacks. IMAR did better against these than most during the last Final X. Still, he should again be prepared for them. My suggestion from earlier in the thread:

Quote:
One drill that I would run with IMAR would deal exclusively with Jordan Burroughs' re-attacks. He scores a lot of points using the element of surprise on re-shots. You are so busy patting yourself on the back for defending his original shot, you don't protect yourself as he springs across the mat from his haunches or from his knees.

First, I'd make sure IMAR had knee pads and soccer shin guards on. Then, I'd have him face two quick, athletic guys (maybe Emery Parker and Coach Poeta). Have one guy shoot in, then as soon as IMAR defends it and before he can completely stand up, have the other guy dive at his ankles.

Burroughs scored most of his points against Sidakov (3) with these re-shots.
The Russian Two-on-One

This hold gives Burroughs real problems. Tsargush used it to score many a takedown or step-out. We saw Nick Marable use it (probably after scouting the Tsargush matches), and Burroughs ran away from it. This is a great way to throw Burroughs off balance and to get in his head.

I've seen IMAR use the 2-on-1, but is it a hold that IMAR would be comfortable with against somebody like Jordan Burroughs? I'm sure Coaches Poeta and Medlin are very familiar with the hold--Poeta practiced every day for a season with the greatest ILLINI practitioner of it (Alex Tirapelle).

IMAR showed his ability to use a whizzer counter to move Burroughs around the mat in the first Final X match. If he doesn't have the leverage to do that, could he slip down and grab the 2-on-1? I think that would work wonders psychologically and strategically.

GO IMAR!!!
Old 06-05-2019
Olympian

There are other things that IMAR can do to improve his chances against Jordan Burroughs. For example, IMAR can remind Burroughs that Burroughs doesn't have a universally known nickname. "JB" is sometimes written on forums, but it's not really a solid moniker.

This Thing Whatever It Is

I have to admit that I have never seen this before. I've watched lots of international matches--but not much Greco--and I've never seen this thing what IMAR did to Nolf twice:

I don't even know what you call it except maybe a double underhook with locked hands. Do they even do this in professional wrestling? The first time IMAR threw it on Nolf, he backed up the 3-timer until Nolf tried to wriggle out. IMAR threw him on his back for four points. The second time, Nolf was smart enough to walk backwards straight out of bounds.

You can bet Burroughs saw this as well, and it will be more incentive for him to keep his distance from IMAR. Still, it would be sweet to see the ILLINI lock up this hold.

Roman Knuckle Locks and Head Taps

IMAR was very good at using a post on Nolf's head to keep him at bay when he wanted him there. He also got under Burroughs' skin during their first Final X match with a pretty strong head tap. This would be an especially good tactic if IMAR adopts the strategy of "starving the reattacker."

We've seen on three occasions Russians using Roman Knuckle locks to shoot in on Burroughs. Burroughs gets distracted, tries to wave off the Roman Knuckle locks, and the Russian shoots in. This was successful two of the three times.

Foot sweep

I've seen IMAR hit many inside trips, but I can't remember a foot sweep. As a lazy, cautious wrestler, I loved the foot sweep. Then, to see ILLINI legend Matt Lackey use it to win an NCAA Championship was glorious, and it vindicated me:

Even if you just use it to put your opponent off balance, that is a huge plus against Burroughs.

GO IRTC!!!
Old 06-13-2019
Olympian

I was surprised to find video on the internet of Jordan Burroughs versus Franklin Gomez. It was a quarterfinal match at the Pan Am Championships, and it was pretty recent.

But there it was.

I remembered that folks at the mat.com had called it a close match. Well, that's like saying Shaq is above average in height. Burroughs came within a half second of losing the match. Gomez was winning by criteria until Burroughs secured a takedown with five-tenths of a second on the clock.

Tonight, I'll try to breakdown the match, but it appears after one viewing that Gomez used the "starve the reattacker" strategy. He even gave Burroughs a passivity point in the first period.

After watching the match, I smell a little blood in the water.

GO IMAR!!!
Sponsored Links