Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 06-20-2019
Varsity

Illinois Junior Greco Champs

I was beginning to wonder if Illinois would win any dual team titles this year after going 0-4 in the first 4 duals. However, they won Junior Greco and a women's title today in Tulsa. Lets see how the freestyle goes. I think that is 4 in a row for the Greco Junior Duals. It might only be 3 though. Either way, it is nice to have the champions be from Illinois.
Great work kids and coaches!!
Old 06-20-2019
Junior Varsity

I see they took some cadets and still won it. To me that makes it even more impressive. Congrats team Illinois! Very dominant performance!
Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARTAN DAD View Post
I see they took some cadets and still won it. To me that makes it even more impressive. Congrats team Illinois! Very dominant performance!
Great win v a great Mn team. Great job coaching. All the wrestlers did their job. Now let’s double up and win that elusive freestyle junior title.

Team Illinois
Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

A couple of observations:

If you're having Girls wrestling simultaneously on adjacent mats to the boys' mats, try not to have any live mics within earshot of the girls' bench. It sounds like a kindergarten class their first time on a roller coaster. Thankfully my hearing is going the way of the world but it had my dogs on edge.

If you're having the need to stop nearly every match for 3-5 minute discussions between officials on hand on how to score a series of action, you either have an official problem -- which, if you can't have the best officials on hand for the National Championships, then I dunno... -- OR, there's a need to simplify the rules some. I believe it's the latter. I remember the bad old days of hand-to-hand on a leglace or two red, two blue scoring We've made dramatic changes to move away from stuff that's just plain stupid. More changes are needed.

The Illinois freestyle team, so far, is a juggernaut. Looking for something special from them. This is not even the best team Illinois could assemble. Many seniors opted to leave it to the next generation. Not so with other states as far as I can tell. Scary.

I'll never sip the Kool-Aid that we're the best wrestling state but our leadership does a great job showing up for these events.

Congratulations to Coach Pearch. He's trained so many of these kids. I'm glad to see him hoist something shaped like the US.

If all the kids signing the trophy plaque isn't the coolest thing ever then I dunno...

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth." -- Plato

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 06-21-2019
Double stud

The Junior dual team always struggles because the seniors typically opt out.

And we are the best international style state across the board.
Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
The Junior dual team always struggles because the seniors typically opt out.

And we are the best international style state across the board.
I can't join you there... we do a better job of assembling a squad with which to win.

I may be wrong but I believe there are a few other states that could beat us if they were able to bring their absolute best kids across the board.

Our commitment to international style training is better than any other state -- I do believe that.

Right now, we're about wrapping up a pretty-much "golden age" of talent at the HS level. I'm interested to see what the years ahead hold. The past few years have been outstanding but I'm not sure if the arrow is still pointed up.

“Being honest may not get you a lot of friends but it’ll always get you the right ones.” -- John Lennon
Old 06-21-2019
Varsity

They cruised to the Gold bracket in Freestyle today. I am not sure we are the best state for international style, but we sure have our fair share of Greco world team members. Thanks in great part to Mike Powell and Bryan Medlin. It will be interesting to see if we can continue that trend without those two putting in so much time with our high schoolers.
It seems like we have a few world freestyle team members spread out over the years, but not in the density of greco.
Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

Assad vs. Foca today was worth the $14.95 -- if you're an Illinois fan.

Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

The going to be juniors (in H.S.) next year group is very good.
Old 06-21-2019
Olympian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CONDOR View Post
The going to be juniors (in H.S.) next year group is very good.
I mostly agree. The depth there is nowhere near where it has been recently. After that...

Sponsored Links