Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Freestyle / Greco-Roman

Old 07-15-2019
Varsity

Send a message via AIM to NickyTheEar
Lopez Brothers MIA?

Anyone know why Fabian and Damien Lopez aren't competing up in Fargo? Surprised that Co-National Champs aren't back.

- Winston Churchill
Old 07-16-2019
dodger

Send a message via AIM to dodger
I was curious why them and the Curran brothers from Dekalb aren't wrestling at Fargo either.
Old 07-16-2019
Varsity

I've heard a few people say recently that Fargo is a bit overrated and a cashgrab. Sounds like it is a meat grinder with tons of live wrestling at the camp. I see quite a few Illinois kids not attending this year.
Old 07-16-2019
Double stud

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElSanto View Post
I've heard a few people say recently that Fargo is a bit overrated and a cashgrab. Sounds like it is a meat grinder with tons of live wrestling at the camp. I see quite a few Illinois kids not attending this year.
Whoever called it overrated or a cash grab is, we'll call them, uninformed.

It IS 100% a meat grinder. Also the single best tournament for top tier recruiting in the the country. Every. Single. Major/mid-major school in all 3 divisions is there. In person. Recruiting. Hard.
Old 07-16-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Turban View Post
Whoever called it overrated or a cash grab is, we'll call them, uninformed.

It IS 100% a meat grinder. Also the single best tournament for top tier recruiting in the the country. Every. Single. Major/mid-major school in all 3 divisions is there. In person. Recruiting. Hard.

I will agree it is a 100% a meat grinder.

I will disagree that it is the single best tournament for recruiting.

Fargo USE TO BE the single best tournament for recruiting HOWEVER now with all the social media out there colleges are not using Fargo to the extent as far as recruiting as they did back in the 70s-80s-90s.

There was a recent article on Open Mat talking about how many D1 All-Americans there were and checked their wrestling resume and do you know that over 50% of the D1 All-Americans DID NOT EVEN PLACE AT FARGO.
Old 07-16-2019
Varsity

So 50% of the D1 AAs did not place at Fargo. Were they wrestling there and not place because the tourney is so tough or did they not go to Fargo?
Old 07-16-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookleft goright View Post
So 50% of the D1 AAs did not place at Fargo. Were they wrestling there and not place because the tourney is so tough or did they not go to Fargo?
Same question that I had reading the article....it wasn't clear

And yes I am trying to find that article to post the link so people can read for themselves.
Old 07-16-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by In the Know View Post
Same question that I had reading the article....it wasn't clear

And yes I am trying to find that article to post the link so people can read for themselves.
TOM put out a article last week that listed the AA from 2019 that were also Fargo AA.I don't remember them giving a % but I remember counting them and 50 of the 80 AA this year were Fargo AA
Old 07-16-2019
Obi-Wan Kenobi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
I was curious why them and the Curran brothers from Dekalb aren't wrestling at Fargo either.
Dekalb, OPRF, Washington, Marmion....
A lot of hammers skipped Fargo this year for whatever reason(s). Part of Illinois' annual dominance has been a combination of getting the hammers to come out and lesser names stepping up.

Cadets came up shorter than we are accustomed but the juniors still dominated without use of all the tools in the box.
Old 07-17-2019
Varsity

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaBearSLIM View Post
Dekalb, OPRF, Washington, Marmion....
A lot of hammers skipped Fargo this year for whatever reason(s). Part of Illinois' annual dominance has been a combination of getting the hammers to come out and lesser names stepping up.

Cadets came up shorter than we are accustomed but the juniors still dominated without use of all the tools in the box.
Add Mt. Carmel to that list and you have the best coached teams in the state not sending too many representatives to Fargo. Iím sure kids are still getting on the mat and thatís all that really counts.
Sponsored Links