Illinois Matmen Forums Illinois Matmen Forums

Go Back   Illinois Matmen Forums > Statewide > Illinois Matmen News > The Burk Blog

Old 11-05-2005
Olympian

The Burk Blog 11/5

Wrestle offs went pretty well. As most of you know, Duke and I both won, but if you have seen the scores, you can probably guess that neither one of us opened up a whole lot. So, even though we did come away with wins, I think we both were a bit disappointed with the way our matches played out. I think I can move a lot more and create a lot more chances for myself than I did, which is something I have been working on ever since last March. So to not do that, I was quite a bit disappointed in myself. But, sometimes things like that happen when you compete against your own teammates, especially for a starting spot. I hope that both Duke and I can make some changes and wrestle a bit more aggressive next weekend in Stevens Point.

As a team, we still have a long way to go. No spots are for sure, although some might be pretty well sewed up. I really thought everyone competed very hard, which is a great sign. Some people just did not wrestle smart matches, and some just need to wrestle their style a bit more (including myself!). But for an opening meet, and for a wrestle off meet, I was very happy with our overall performance, and I think our coaches are pretty pleased as well. We had some young guys compete real well, and showed a lot of promise for the future, as well as for this coming year. Our depth is going to be key, and I think it was shown with the closeness of all the matches.

As I said, next week we travel to Stevens Pt for an Open on Saturday. It will be great to be out on a mat against other competition. Wisconsin will be there, as well as some real tough D-2 and D-3 schools. So there will be pretty tough competition at every weight class. Making weight is getting a bit easier now. Monday it was pretty rough. But Wednesday felt a lot better. Of course, Duke LOVES to rub it in that he eats anything he wants and is still only about a pound over usually.

Anyway, good luck to all high school wrestlers, who I think should start practice this week. Have fun, wrestle hard! Thanks again for reading. We appreciate it very much.

I want to send a shout out to Mr. Scott Wallace, my favorite person from Hinsdale, and to COACH Ryan Ludwig, the man, the myth, the legend.

thanks again guys!

-Danny-

"I can do all things through Christ who stregthens me....."

Last edited by admin; 11-06-2005 at 10:30 AM.
Old 11-07-2005
Junior Varsity

Danny:

Is the entire NIU team wrestling at Stevens Point, redshirt or not? Of course, it's probably too early to decide who will redshirt yet...
Old 11-07-2005
Junior Varsity

wrestle offs

Thanks again for the updates. I was at the wrestle offs , these are always a difficult thing to watch,but I thought they went well.Everyone tends to know each other and its tough to get away with certian things. See you in St.point,Wi.
Old 11-07-2005
Olympian

Everyone will be going to Stevens Pt, unless they are injured I believe. We do have some guys who have some injuries, but most of them are fairly minor. Hopefully we will have a good showing this weekend and set the tone for the next few weeks.

Thanks again guys, keep the questions coming. It is nice to have great supporters like you guys. Thanks.
Sponsored Links